• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is the Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film Any Good?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Please, if you watch this on netflix; please watch it with the English Audio Discription turned on. It makes the movie so much more enjoyable and fun to watch!
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Still salty about Brotherhood,I see...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I had been thinking of watching this movie after Theron's more positive review, but after what I've seen here, I'll probably pass on it. I haven't seen many live action anime adaptations and this does not make me want to add to that, especially if it isn't even so bad it's good.

That its US theatrical release was canceled seeming telling, especially considering Gintama's live action movie did get a theatrical release in the US, a show that does not have the same US following to say the least. Granted the Gintama movie did well in theaters in Japan, unlike this movie.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This is precisely why I pretty much never pay attention to Japanese live-action adaptations: They're not adaptations; they're cheap imitations.

Anime fans complain up-and-down about Hollywood being "unfaithful", but this right here is what faithfulness gets you: a rendition that couldn't be further from optimised for its delivery.

At least Ghost in the Shell was inferior because it went for the wrong existential themes, and not because it was copied and pasted straight from Mamoru Oshii's story boards with swaths there-of cut out for the run time.

In general, Japanese cinema needs better costume design and conceptual artistry. They do realise that Edward does not have to look precisely like a 3D counterpart to his 2D self, right?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh lord.

When are they gonna figure out the simple rule:

If it's not broken, don't fix it!!! Rolling Eyes
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Some of the costume design was not good I'll give you that but for me it overall captured the ethos I wanted from another iteration of Fullmetal Alchemist. Sure it felt like a grab bag of story lines and some the acting was affected at best but it captured for me what I like about the series even if it felt disjointed at times.

While I think the CGI design for the "Tucker Chimera" worked fine. It was either CGI or some practical effect and I don't think anybody would have been OK with "rubber suit" version like old Ultraman or Showa era Godzilla of the creature. While an Animatronics version could have ended up worse or infeasible financially.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
In general, Japanese cinema needs better costume design and conceptual artistry. They do realise that Edward does not have to look precisely like a 3D counterpart to his 2D self, right?

Outside of the hair, the costume design seemed perfectly fine to me. It's certainly more welcome than comic book hero costumes looking like dull colored biker gear leather. Edward has a pretty simple outfit compared to other anime characters.

-Stuart Smith
Crystal Amethyst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Um... as a person who actually spend the full year in Japan and saw the movie in the cinema.. and knows the actor (the guy playing Edward) rather well and followed the shows that he was appearing in (because I needed to make sure that his acting will be of acceptable level)...

Can I just say that it's actually his own hair and he did colour it so the guy was actually blonde for over a year for the movie?... It's his actually hair...
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Everything burns...
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
As it's own thing it was enjoyable. Just like I've enjoyed other adaptations recently like Tokyo Ghoul, Blade of the Immortal,and Rouroni Kenshin. Sure FMA wasn't as good as these, but it's not far behind them either. Well closer to the former than the later two. It's way better than the Attack on Titan live action films. Another one Ice heard I'd good but Hasn't been brought over yet is the Jojo movie that came out recently. I've heard that one is good. So no not all live action adaptations are bad. You just usually have to look past the limited special effects and costumes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:

At least Ghost in the Shell was inferior because it went for the wrong existential themes, and not because it was copied and pasted straight from Mamoru Oshii's story boards with swaths there-of cut out for the run time.

I thought that was one of the biggest complaints about the live action GITS that it was basically a shot for shot remake of the Oshii film but with a terrible ending?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I had been thinking of watching this movie after Theron's more positive review, but after what I've seen here, I'll probably pass on it. I haven't seen many live action anime adaptations and this does not make me want to add to that, especially if it isn't even so bad it's good.

That its US theatrical release was canceled seeming telling, especially considering Gintama's live action movie did get a theatrical release in the US, a show that does not have the same US following to say the least. Granted the Gintama movie did well in theaters in Japan, unlike this movie.

He has a well known hatred for Brotherhood for not being as dark and serious like the first anime,so it's hard to take seriously what he says when it comes to FMA...
Having loved both versions,I can say the movie is okay and nothing beyond.It probably helped that in my country's dub they actually kept most of the VAs from both anime,so that was an extra enjoyment too
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
He has a well known hatred for Brotherhood for not being as dark and serious like the first anime,so it's hard to take seriously what he says when it comes to FMA...
. The one that had Mustang rant about his dream being becoming Fuhrer so he could dress the women in TINY MINISKIRTS -- and actually did -- was supposed to be the dark and serious one? The first series was a lot goofier from what I remember.

Anyway. Meh movie. Not as good as Kenshin or Gintama, but hey, what can you do.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I get that this is a bad movie, but the real question is, is it better or worse than Conqueror of Shamballa?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This Week in Anime - Is the Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film Any Good?

I hesitate greatly to presume, but I get the impression y'all's answer is "no".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3