• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fuji-TV Reveals Revisions Anime With Goro Taniguchi, Shirogumi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
My worse fear has finally happened. The only CG I like is Code Geass. Now Taniguchi is working on another CG series and it ain't Code Geass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Daisuke meets a girl named Milo, who has the same name as the person who kidnapped Daisuke. Milo informs Daisuke that he's the only one who can operate the "doll weapon String Puppet" and protect Shibuya.

So, are they going to reveal in the first episode that the kidnapping was related to this, or are they going to try to pass that off as a twist later on, even though it's the most obvious thing?
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Sounds fine as a concept plus the writer did work on the original Psycho Pass and the movie, but the 3D definitely isn't too great at a glance so that will tend to drag everything else down in the eyes of popular perception. A pity, yet I will check it out.

#861208 wrote:
So, are they going to reveal in the first episode that the kidnapping was related to this, or are they going to try to pass that off as a twist later on, even though it's the most obvious thing?

Generally speaking...I think that when fiction uses this sort of angle the point isn't necessarily to hide the identity of the person involved, but the circumstances.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Not sure I'm on the Taniguchi train anymore, but I'll stay cautiously optimistic for this one.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Not sure I'm on the Taniguchi train anymore, but I'll stay cautiously optimistic for this one.

I wonder how much people actually know about the guy when they say that.

In any case, the man already has more Code Geass coming up, you know. That is quite clearly his big fat mass market friendly project. If you don't care for these niche sideshows, which are not trying to be more Code Geass, then just wait for that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I wonder how much people actually know about the guy when they say that.

In any case, the man already has more Code Geass coming up, you know. That's his big fat market friendly project. If you don't care for these niche sideshows, which are not trying to be more Code Geass, then just wait for that.

I liked Code Geass, but I don't want more of that either. I've seen almost everything he's been involved with, for the record. Maria the Virgin Witch and Planetes are easily my favorites, while his recent projects ID-0, and Active Raid have been bland and generally not interesting to me. Active Raid, in particular, just felt like he was trying to make his own Patlabor. Which isn't really my scene. He seems to care a lot about hard sci-fi technobabble, and I don't.
I think he's a stronger storyboarder than director, honestly.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I liked Code Geass, but I don't want more of that either. I've seen almost everything he's been involved with, for the record. Maria the Virgin Witch and Planetes are easily my favorites, while his recent projects ID-0, and Active Raid have been bland and generally not interesting to me. Active Raid, in particular, just felt like he was trying to make his own Patlabor. Which isn't really my scene. He seems to care a lot about hard sci-fi technobabble, and I don't.
I think he's a stronger storyboarder than director, honestly.

I offer my apologies for that initial assumption. Reading that makes me even more curious...did you ever watch Infinite Ryvius? That was his very first TV series. It is another sci-fi show that may seem easy to dismiss at a glance by using pejorative labels like "technobabble" yet actually had more to offer than that in terms of character dynamics and social commentary.

Ryvius was well received back in the day, but I can imagine it would be getting a ton of flak among western fans in the current climate of 2018. Why? Probably because there is an old-school way to make anime science fiction that is becoming increasingly unpopular these days. Right now, studios need to employ a different mix of elements in order to make a sci-fi show successful. Some new productions manage to adapt, this is true, but others simply don't. Mind you, another factor in this would be the team involved and the chosen format, tone, resources, etc. It's not just the director making all the decisions in isolation, good or bad.

Taniguchi and Kuroda (the scriptwriter for both Ryvius and ID-0) have a range of quirks and abilities that can still combine to make popular material from time to time, yet when it comes to their tastes in science fiction they are indeed men from a different era. Compared to Ryvius, ID-0 had a lot less time to do much character work and so they abbreviated certain developments, yet I still found it to be an adequate sci-fi story and a significantly more interesting experience than Active Raid (which was just Akibaranger meets Power Rangers SPD, not exactly Patlabor per se).

Either way, Taniguchi has proven that he can make different types of series. Thing is, only a few are capable of appealing to a wider audience or even trying to do so. He simply isn't doing that all the time. That's why I mentioned Code Geass as something which will likely get the most fanfare and hype going again. Having said this...I don't know what's going to happen with Revisions in particular though, beyond my reasonable expectations that it will not be too appreciated around here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Daisuke and his friends must take back the present by fighting the future!

That is the most chuunibyo sentence I've read in a long time...Razz
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

That is the most chuunibyo sentence I've read in a long time...Razz

Well...what time travel story isn't going to sound like that in promotional speak? Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
Time travel stories run the gamut from history lessons to hard sci fi with quantum physics to comedies. Making teens pilot giant mechanical monsters to save the present from the future is a special brand of chunibyo.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Making teens pilot giant mechanical monsters to save the present from the future is a special brand of chunibyo.

It sounds fairly standard to me, given that piloting robots under strange circumstances is not new for anime teenagers. At least it doesn't appear to be a harem or isekai (though I guess they might make this more like El Hazard perhaps?).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
3/8 was the 83rd anniversary of Hachiko's death, so the statue was appropriate. Then again, that is a popular tourist attraction in Tokyo. As an Akita dog fan, they have me sold on wanting to watch this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
CLAMP did the original character design for "Code Geass" whereas Ichiro Okouchi was the main scriptwriter and series composer for the 1st 2 seasons and Goro Taniguchi directed the 1st 2 seasons. Sure, a lot of creative works have a lot of collaboration, especially from animators. However, from a creative mind standpoint, do you think Taniguchi or Okouchi was more of the series creator? I ask this because sometimes a director will do more to create that series universe and other times it's the writer. In comic books, the same goes with the main writer(s) and main artist(s).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1