• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime's 'Illustrias Geocentrism' Special Airs in July

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Shaft pulling a Bakemonogatari again lol.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Shaft never changes...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Sure, because Last Encore wasn't messy and convoluted already...

So is this special the actual finale of Last Encore or is it some separate thing? I haven't seen the newest episode yet.
Airiiin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
It's convoluted but not messy. If you pay attention ( aka don't browse your phone while you watch it) and reread lines that you didn't get the gist of the first time, it's not that difficult to understand These Shaft shows can't be watched casually.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Airiiin wrote:
It's convoluted but not messy. If you pay attention ( aka don't browse your phone while you watch it) and reread lines that you didn't get the gist of the first time, it's not that difficult to understand These Shaft shows can't be watched casually.

^
Finally somebody said that.I'm getting sick of people just hating on the show because of "ah the fighting sux, I don't understand what they're saiying so it's bad and dumb". Like seriously so annoying Shaft is perfect for this adaptation because Extra is good for it's story and concepts. The show assumes it's watched by an inteligent viewer, not a 5 year old who needs to hear the same explanantion 10 times in one episode. If only people paid more attention smh
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It isn't crap because it is convoluted. Is just plain crap. Every antagonist gets introduced as a throw away character. Even the game knew to build up your rival throughout. Almost all of the attention is going to this super bland protagonist. The direction is pretty horrid as well. I can see why some would defend the story/plot, but how they're putting it on screen is awful.

It isn't intelligence that Shaft is assuming. They seem to be pretty much assuming people have played a quite old PSP game. I actually have played through it which I think makes a big difference in being able to follow what is going on. If you have no idea what happened in Extra the game, I can see why you would be confused as hell.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
It isn't crap because it is convoluted. Is just plain crap. Every antagonist gets introduced as a throw away character. Even the game knew to build up your rival throughout. Almost all of the attention is going to this super bland protagonist. The direction is pretty horrid as well. I can see why some would defend the story/plot, but how they're putting it on screen is awful.

It isn't intelligence that Shaft is assuming. They seem to be pretty much assuming people have played a quite old PSP game. I actually have played through it which I think makes a big difference in being able to follow what is going on. If you have no idea what happened in Extra the game, I can see why you would be confused as hell.

Most of this is nonsense. The antagonists for a given round in the game weren't given that much characterization. They appeared a few times, dropped some hints about their servants identity, and you had an occasional clash against them.

Yes they are presuming intelligence. You have to watch an episode, think about it, and process what is going on in the story. It isn't a show good for the common means of watching a show once and forgetting about it until next week.

And yeah the focus is on the protagonist. Shocking that. I can't imagine a story focusing on developing the main character. That's just stupid. And if a nicely developed main character bores you...well there's no helping you there.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Most of this is nonsense. The antagonists for a given round in the game weren't given that much characterization. They appeared a few times, dropped some hints about their servants identity, and you had an occasional clash against them.

I was referring to Gawain and his master when I said "your rival." You are correct that the rest were throwaway characters just like the anime who were essentially only present for the game 'week' that you were going to fight them.

This was a bad set up in the game for all of the other servants/masters, and it remains a bad set up now.

FlareKnight wrote:
Yes they are presuming intelligence. You have to watch an episode, think about it, and process what is going on in the story. It isn't a show good for the common means of watching a show once and forgetting about it until next week.

And yeah the focus is on the protagonist. Shocking that. I can't imagine a story focusing on developing the main character. That's just stupid. And if a nicely developed main character bores you...well there's no helping you there.

They're not really assuming intelligence. You don't have to process the events afterwards. You just need to know all of the information they throw at you as off hand comments which are actually important.

Developing your protagonist isn't in itself a problem. The problem is when your protagonist is incredibly bland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1