• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Scar-red Rider XechS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
LoGH is $60 per cour and $20 per movie, not that crazy for a limited collectors edition of what many consider one of the best anime in existence. At least those are below the standard prices for other limited editions out there, though I guess lacking an English dub would make it seem a bit high.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Darcy: I love those Ghibli steelbooks! Our collection also has some other similarities, such as tragically only owning the first One Piece omnibus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
XechS was so bland and lifeless that it's the first anime premier that made me angry while watching it. I assume Funi had to release it based on a contract or something, i can't think of any other reason (at least Handshakers has a "so bad it's good" infamy going for it, maybe)

Nice collection! Sorry to hear about the flooding; i can't even imagine what i'd do if i lost my collection like that (besides hyperventilate)
yugandasekai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't know... I kinda liked XechS. It wouldn't say it was good exactly, but I enjoyed the absurdity in a The Lost Village kind of way. And I did relate to at least one of the characters (Takt). So even though I knew it was crappy, I have to admit it made me laugh and I definitely don't regret watching. But that's probably just me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It seems there were a couple of us that didn't find it too bad, but everything James said about it was true! It was a silly and sometimes ironically funny mess but in the end I found it more tedious than anything. Also, the character Takt, so totally not Gakt Rolling Eyes . I didn't miss it and wouldn't buy this even in the $2 bin. At least Big Order is ridiculous enough to warrant shelling out small $ to be able to get a good laugh every so often.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I hate Scar-red Rider XechS, I hate it with a deep passion like no other series. I was physically angry with it that I made a topic in the series discussion area, to express how I absolutely loathed elements of it. You can find my 2,000 word rant, where I make it very clear I was following the story, but felt actively punished for trying to do so. The music element is perhaps one of the worst bits, because it makes absolutely no sense why this group of teenagers are struggling to focus on making a band, when the fate of the world is on the line.

It is the only 1/10 I have given to anime, perhaps because I would not finish others. But XechS tricks you into thinking that it will be worth your time, before it totally falls apart into a big terrible mess. I was pretty much begging at the time for someone to try and justify it to me. There is so bad its good anime, but this show was certainly not that.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
LoGH is $60 per cour and $20 per movie, not that crazy for a limited collectors edition of what many consider one of the best anime in existence. At least those are below the standard prices for other limited editions out there, though I guess lacking an English dub would make it seem a bit high.

Then sell it per coeur. Few people these days are willing to drop $800 at once on a show they've never seen, and it's questionable how many people who have seen all of LoGH are willing to pay that much to rewatch it in HD. Sell it in installments, though, and you'll bring in people who are willing to drop 60 bucks to try the first coeur before committing to the rest.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Raikuro wrote:

Then sell it per coeur. Few people these days are willing to drop $800 at once on a show they've never seen, and it's questionable how many people who have seen all of LoGH are willing to pay that much to rewatch it in HD. Sell it in installments, though, and you'll bring in people who are willing to drop 60 bucks to try the first coeur before committing to the rest.

It's a collector's edition, so of course it's catered to megafans that have seen it, and it's nice they're not wasting those fans' time with individual releases over years before offering the mega collection. It will probably be available piecemeal eventually, but until then it's readily streaming on Hidive if you're so curious about it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
It will probably be available piecemeal eventually, but until then it's readily streaming on Hidive if you're so curious about it.

I've seen it and almost all the gaiden stuff. It's good, and I'd recommend that everyone check it out (or the new version, I guess?) but I'm not planning on watching it again in its entirety. I'm sure that if you're the kind of person who can see themselves watching these discs over and over again, it's a reasonable purchase. I just question whether there are enough people who fall into that category to ensure that this doesn't end up on sale for 400-500 bucks next Rightstuf Christmas sale, 'cause that would lead to a lot of bad feelings among people who bought it at 800 right when it came out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1