• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metropolis Blu-Ray Release by Mill Creek Listed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite movies ever. It deserves to be on Blu-ray. If it has some special extras with it I might consider double dipping.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
There was an Anime World Order podcast a while back that said the UK BD/DVD release had the best picture quality, and is region-free: https://www.awopodcast.com/2017/09/anime-world-order-show-157-weeks-too-late-for-priss-and-the-replicants-song-references.html
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote

This is correct. Import forthwith! It is nearly always cheaper for you to do so than for us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The extras would be the same that the DVD had.
If Mill Creek bothers to pick them up.
They probably will unless they decide to be cheap.

I have the UK release steelbook release from last year.
The extras were identical to what was on the US DVD release of 2001(?).
Those extras were actually included on a mini-DVD that was bundled wit the US DVD. It's the only mini-DVD I've ever seen!

The problem with the Blu ray is that the transfer is the same one the Japanese version had. It has these weird banding issues that pop up on occasion. It's not horrible but they really should have done a remaster of it from the 35mm film master IF they still have it. I sincerely doubt Mill Creek will pay to do a remaster -- it'll be the same one they used last year for the UK and Sony USA releases.

I like the film, too, but it's like Neon Genesis Evangelion -- the first few home video issues have had problems with the video quality. Eva was popular enough that they eventually paid to do a proper remaster that fixed all the issues the original home video releases.

I unfortunately don't see that happening with Metropolis the anime. The film just isn't that popular.

I'm amazed that Mill Creek picked up an option to release this in the US. They must have gotten a very good deal through Sony who owns this picture. The Sony BD-R I passed on after learning the UK Blu ray was in fact compatible with US Blu ray players.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I, too, have picked up the UK bluray. It was pretty cheap to import, I feel like those of us who wanted it on bluray probably imported it, since it wasn't too difficult or expensive.

Yeaaah, I was just thinking about how weird that mini-DVD that came with the first US DVD release was. Outside of Gamecube games, I basically never saw them, even though I was aware they existed.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Good to see this getting a release. But Mill Creek REEAAAALLY needs to stop packaging their multis in those paper sleeves.

But glad to see Mill Creek getting into the action. Glad to see this title still getting the attention it deserves. Think we're definitely going to need a replacement copy. Ours has really circulated enough. Wink
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's better than the On Demand blu-ray version with all of its interlaced madness.
Lugamo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope Mill Creek adds Spanish subtitles and the Mexican dub.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Good to see this getting a release. But Mill Creek REEAAAALLY needs to stop packaging their multis in those paper sleeves.

Ugh, do they do that with their Blurays, too? Only thing I have from them are the Larry Sanders Show DVDs, which crammed entire seasons of hour-long episodes onto single discs.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Mill Creek frequently works with Sony, so this isn't too surprising. It should at least be an improvement over Sony's BD-R. Mill Creek's Blu-rays are highly hit-or-miss, but if the audio/video is the same as the BD-R, it should be alright. They may or may not bring over the bonus features. That's hit-or-miss too. I have their Blu-ray for I Know What You Did Last Summer, and it has none of Sony's bonus features (and lossy audio, no subtitles, and just 3 chapter breaks), but my disc for The Legend of Billie Jean brings over the Sony DVD's commentary. Mill Creek's never released anime before outside their edited dub-only DVDs for Astro Boy (also from Sony), so it's hard to know what to expect here. It might turn out fine, or it might be dub only, or it might be billingual with no subtitles, or it might have dubtitles. Some of their discs have subtitles. Some don't. I'd be somewhat cautious about this. At the very least, it should be dirt cheap, and the UK release should always be available.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

They stopped doing that back in 2013 and their DVD releases of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad from that year were inconsistent because of this with set 1 having the discs in paper sleeves and set 2 using a Flexbox case (same packaging NIS America used for their Cardcaptor Sakura DVD sets) and they're still using them since their recent release of Astro Boy 2003 has that case as well.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Ugh, do they do that with their Blurays, too? Only thing I have from them are the Larry Sanders Show DVDs, which crammed entire seasons of hour-long episodes onto single discs.

Their Gamera Blu-rays use regular cases so Metropolis should be fine packaging-wise.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

They stopped doing that back in 2013

Yeah, but then they started doing the weird double-sided cardboard sleeves like these. All their Must See TV DVD sets seem to do those (my copy of 2013's Roseanne and 2017's Quantum Leap releases are the earliest and latest examples I have), but I haven't seen any of their BD releases yet.

I'm curious to see how this works out. If they do a good job of it, it would be nice to have someone else fielding budget anime releases on the side.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone that answered the question that last person asked when commenting to me.

If they stopped doing that then the set on my desk came out in 2011. So I guess that's the last time I'll see those cases unless we purchase something that old from them. But I do recall the re-release of the 'Gamera' series. The old series and the 90's versions. And since they were on BD I don't recall any sleeves. Which led me to believe they were giving BDs the proper treatment, but now we know all standards and BD are treated the same now after 2013.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
<Sigh>

Now, if only SOny would do proper Blu ray re-releases in the US of the Satoshi Kon features it has the rights to!

I know they have rights to at least Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers but only Paprika was released on Blu ray in the US.
Sony also has the rights to the anime compilation features, "Memories" but I doubt they know or care that Otomo is the creator of Akira. I don't even think "Memories" has a Japanese Blu ray but most if not all of Kon's finished features have Blu ray editions in Japan and there was a UK Blu ray for Perfect Blue but it's region-locked (B).
Like Metropolis, there IS a UK region-free Blu ray of Tokyo Godfathers but as I understand it the subtitles have timing issues.

The Mill Creek Blu ray of Metropolis is listed for a June 5th release this year. Don't know if I'd bother to double-dip for a US Blu ray if it's just going to be the same as the UK release...
Oh, and speaking of UK home video companies. Anybody into 1980s horror films or Japanese exploitation films might want to check out Arrow Films. Good, good company. I've got a couple of their US releases -- they're straight ports of the UK/Europe editions. I've got a Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood) "bad girl" collection and Return of the Killer Tomatoes (the best Tomato film I've seen!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1