• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Batman Ninja Anime's Clip Shows Batman Fighting Samurai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that the frame-rate somewhat improved from the previews and i love that the film just starts despite being high concept. My excessive anticipation seems to pay off.

How would you even explain Grodd being in Arkham, with a full time travel laboratory on standby? Batman his enough anomalistic villains (Orca anyone?) for them to have their own wing but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
How does this make sense?

”BECAUSE I’M BATMAN!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
They made this film for the same reason they did all those variant figures in the Batman lines in the 1990s
-- Batman's DC's biggest moneymaker
-- the kids (grown-up kids in the their 20s and later) will BUY the variant figures. (Okay, I've heard there is a size limit there. Much above 3 inches, nobody cares! Especially if the 6-inch figures don't look anymore detailed than the 3-inch line!)
This is variant Batman movie. There are people who will buy it regardless of how good it is. I'm not one of those people -- I don't like wasting my money just because I need a "complete collection" of anything.

I think the whole concept looks silly but I'm not the target audience here.
[Disclosure -- I've NEVER like the idea of ninjas in Batman, period. They overdo the martial arts angle as it is!]
I prefer more traditional Batman but DC/WB Animation hasn't made a decent animated Batman film in years, IMHO. That coincided with around the time they got the brilliant idea to do the DC-52 revamp which blew up in their faces within 2 years.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they adapted some of the better pre-1990s Batman storylines that are NOT Dark Knight as well as doing more faithful adaptations than the last Batman film, Gotham By Gaslight. That film had almost nothing in common with the original comic beyond the title and basic plot.
The manga/anime mash with American superheroes has never worked particularly well for a lot of people. The problem is trying to make superheroes look like Japanese characters when they're not and not writing particularly good stories. I haven't seen fantastic character designs for any of the "anime-lite" DC animated films.
This ninja film looks like it has about the same depth of an episode of Dragonball Z and that's not what I want to spend my time watching...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Whatever will this lovable rogue become next? The mind quickens with ideas.
Batman Troubadour?
Batman Yogi?
Batman Bushwhacker?
Batman Conquistador?
Batman Morris-dancer?
Let the ever-pliable market decide!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Batman Morris-dancer?

Now that's a version of Batman I could get behind.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
There's a strange irony in someone named Roger Craig Smith playing the role of Batman.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
According to the bluray release on Amazon, it seems Warner Bros will make it dub only in English, French and Spanish, but no Japanese. Guess I won’t be buying.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
According to the bluray release on Amazon, it seems Warner Bros will make it dub only in English, French and Spanish, but no Japanese. Guess I won’t be buying.

I thought somewhere it said the DVD/Blu-Ray had the Japanese dub on it. They made mention of it being on the DVD/Blu-Ray on the back cover. However if Warner Bros. provides subtitles to it that aren't just a word for word English dub repeat I will be shocked.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I thought somewhere it said the DVD had the Japanese dub on it, don't know why the Blu-Ray wouldn't but I saw a screenshot of the DVD cover and they mentioned a Japanese language track being on it.

Both the DVD and the Bluray mention that special features will be in "Original Japanese Audio," but the main feature is listed as having English, French, and Spanish (Castilian and Latin), and only subtitles for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. So I am going to wait till it comes out and see what everyone says it has before I buy. The disc itself could actually have the Japanese audio but the case may not. Who knows.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
I thought somewhere it said the DVD had the Japanese dub on it, don't know why the Blu-Ray wouldn't but I saw a screenshot of the DVD cover and they mentioned a Japanese language track being on it.

Both the DVD and the Bluray mention that special features will be in "Original Japanese Audio," but the main feature is listed as having English, French, and Spanish (Castilian and Latin), and only subtitles for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. So I am going to wait till it comes out and see what everyone says it has before I buy. The disc itself could actually have the Japanese audio but the case may not. Who knows.

Also Amazon Video lists two streaming versions in English and Japanese also.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The manga/anime mash with American superheroes has never worked particularly well for a lot of people. The problem is trying to make superheroes look like Japanese characters when they're not and not writing particularly good stories.

Having them dubbed in Japanese is another major problem. Except for specific examples of language fluent characters in the Marvel and DC universes, hearing everyone speak Japanese just turns me off the instant I hear it. As for not writing particularly good stories, I agree there as well. On the Marvel side of things, Disk Wars is a solid example of a very stupid idea, which in conjunction with every Marvel hero and villain being dubbed with unfitting Japanese voices, shows us they really should stick to their own superheroes. I have yet to meet a single person among Marvel and DC enthusiasts (and I know many) who remotely liked any of Japan's ideas.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:
The manga/anime mash with American superheroes has never worked particularly well for a lot of people. The problem is trying to make superheroes look like Japanese characters when they're not and not writing particularly good stories.

Having them dubbed in Japanese is another major problem. Except for specific examples of language fluent characters in the Marvel and DC universes, hearing everyone speak Japanese just turns me off the instant I hear it. As for not writing particularly good stories, I agree there as well. On the Marvel side of things, Disk Wars is a solid example of a very stupid idea, which in conjunction with every Marvel hero and villain being dubbed with unfitting Japanese voices, shows us they really should stick to their own superheroes. I have yet to meet a single person among Marvel and DC enthusiasts (and I know many) who remotely liked any of Japan's ideas.

Well they have to dub it in Japanese in order to market it over there. I mean I guess they could just subtitle it only with English voices. They do provide a English dub for you to listen to but yes a Japanese dub is made for these things.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Well they have to dub it in Japanese in order to market it over there. I mean I guess they could just subtitle it only with English voices. They do provide a English dub for you to listen to but yes a Japanese dub is made for these things.

I know, but it's never any good. Their voices don't work at all for Marvel and DC characters in the least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1