• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel Film's English Dub Debuts in U.S. Theaters on June 5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! I drove 3 hours to Ohio to see this last time, will be cool to see it again. If anyone wants to see this for the first time, i heavily recommend watching Fate/Zero and either Fate Stay Night or Fate: UBW first; this film builds heavily on character relationships, et.c that we know from those shows.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Not gonna make the trip to the US for this, but if they show it in Canada again I'll definitely see it for the 3rd time.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This news certainly came just in the nick of time! The Japanese-release blu-ray is due early next month, but I'll be canceling my order of that right away now that I officially know I'll only be waiting just a bit longer before the preferred English-language release!
Quote:
If anyone wants to see this for the first time, i heavily recommend watching Fate/Zero and either Fate Stay Night or Fate: UBW first; this film builds heavily on character relationships, et.c that we know from those shows.

I continue hearing people say you have to play the visual novels before seeing the Heaven's Feel movie, but really all anyone has to do is watch Ufotable's UBW series and you should be good to go, because it's very obvious UfoTable skipped much of the beginning storyline with Heaven's Feel under the assumption we've seen their prior Fate adaptation.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the English voice cast, who are reprising their roles from Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works.

I'm assuming that means they're keeping Bryce Papenbrook as Shiro? Nothing against the guy but it was an absolute miscast. Everybody else was fine but oof. Was not a fan of Bryce's Shiro at all. Here's hoping for better voice direction for him this time.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not gonna make the trip to the US for this, but if they show it in Canada again I'll definitely see it for the 3rd time.

Canada usually doesn't get second anime movie runs. We didn't get the SAO and Silent Voice dub runs or the Yu-Gi-Oh! DSOD sub run.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
the English voice cast, who are reprising their roles from Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works.

I'm assuming that means they're keeping Bryce Papenbrook as Shiro? Nothing against the guy but it was an absolute miscast. Everybody else was fine but oof. Was not a fan of Bryce's Shiro at all. Here's hoping for better voice direction for him this time.

What do you mean? Same voice direction as in Fate/Zero and UBW. Bryce as Shirou wasn't miscast at all, it's one of his best performances really. He's quite perfect for the role. And duh ofcourse a sequel would keep the previous cast, it shouldn't be a question.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
frozenkex wrote:
Bryce as Shirou wasn't miscast at all, it's one of his best performances really. He's quite perfect for the role. And duh ofcourse a sequel would keep the previous cast, it shouldn't be a question.

>Quite perfect for the role
Eeeeeeeh. That's where I'm going to have to disagree. I thought he was the worst preformance in the show and didn't really feel like Shirou. In fact, it sounded like he was just playing Kirito again.

It was really dissapointing coming from the utterly fantastic Zero dub to "meh" casting with regards to UBW.

It's also worth pointing out that HF isn't a sequel. According to that logic, none of the cast needed to be changed in UBW TV given we had a decent enough cast in the UBW movie.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
frozenkex wrote:
Bryce as Shirou wasn't miscast at all, it's one of his best performances really. He's quite perfect for the role. And duh ofcourse a sequel would keep the previous cast, it shouldn't be a question.

>Quite perfect for the role
Eeeeeeeh. That's where I'm going to have to disagree. I thought he was the worst preformance in the show and didn't really feel like Shirou. In fact, it sounded like he was just playing Kirito again.

It was really dissapointing coming from the utterly fantastic Zero dub to "meh" casting with regards to UBW.

It's also worth pointing out that HF isn't a sequel. According to that logic, none of the cast needed to be changed in UBW TV given we had a decent enough cast in the UBW movie.

That's the thing with Bryce Papenbrook though, just about all his characters sound the same. He kind reminds me of Henry Jon Benjamin, where no matter what character he's voicing, he always sounds like Henry Jon Benjamin, lol

As much as I usually don't like Bryce playing a character, because of his lack of range, I did like his Shirou for some strange reason. It was one of the few times, his natural voice actually fit a role, I thought.

Last edited by getumbuck on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Bryce gave a solid performance but I'm not fond of the sound of his voice for Shirou. A bit whiney anf shrill.

Rin had the opposite problem. Her voice sounded perfect for the role but she struggled emoting anything other than "haughty."
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Really? Mela Lee's Rin was the only one I couldn't stand.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
In fact, it sounded like he was just playing Kirito again.

Then you are not good at appreciating nuance I'd say. He was playing Shirou significantly differently from Kirito at a lower pitch. Otherwise by your logic anyone who sounds remotely similar in another role, is just "playing that character again", which can be applied to too many actors.

It seems some of the dislike stems from the fact that he did voice other 2 popular characters like Kirito and Eren, and they associate the voice with those, but i dont think that's fair way of judging.

Quote:

false analogy. Previous other FSN anime were by Deen, a different studio. They recast for Fate/Zero kind of like doing a reboot since it had a different feel, darker and of higher quality. And they continued with that cast in the same Ufotable continuity.

Heaven's feel is from the same Studio once again, it's an anime that is expected to be seen after Ufotable's UBW anime, same artstyle etc. There is no reason to recast again whatsoever, especially not for reasons such as yours. Bryce is a great actor and is highly regarded, and his performance was quite well received in UBW.

So where is this "meh" casting?

Also, in the future casting may change in the franchise only if there are licensing issues or a different dubbing studio is used and whether it's union or non-union.

Last edited by frozenkex on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
frozenkex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:

That's the thing with Bryce Papenbrook though, just about all his characters sound the same. He kind reminds me of Henry Jon Benjamin, where no matter what character he's voicing, he always sounds like Henry Jon Benjamin, lol

As much as I usually don't like Bryce playing a character, because of his lack of range, I did like his Shirou for some strange reason. It was one of the few times, his natural voice actually fit a role, I thought.

There is never going to be huge difference in how a character sounds when he is playing teenage male protagonist from the same actor. Feel free to provide examples, but JP actors like Yuki Kaji or Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (who are really talented) don't sound much more different from their MC roles than Bryce between his.

You should try hearing him in Kuromukuro, he definitely doesn't sound like Kirito there.

I think Masaomi and Rin Okumura sound closer to Kirito than Shirou does.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
frozenkex wrote:
getumbuck wrote:

There is never going to be huge difference in how a character sounds when he is playing teenage male protagonist from the same actor. Feel free to provide examples, but JP actors like Yuki Kaji or Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (who are really talented) don't sound much more different from their MC roles than Bryce between his.

You should try hearing him in Kuromukuro, he definitely doesn't sound like Kirito there.

I think Masaomi and Rin Okumura sound closer to Kirito than Shirou does.

I'm just saying every one of his characters sounds pretty much identical to me. I mean when compared to someone like Noland North or Monica Rial who have dozens of voices that each sound different and original, I personally think the guy comes off as lazy. Sort of like Henry Jon Benjamin, but at least he's funny, while Bryce is just boring old Bryce 9 out of 10 times.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
You watch: AniplexUS is gonna charge 80-90 dollars for the blu-ray, which is absurd in my opinion. Anyone who purchases their releases have more money than brains. So stupid.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
I mean when compared to someone like Noland North or Monica Rial who have dozens of voices that each sound different and original, I personally think the guy comes off as lazy. Sort of like Henry Jon Benjamin, but at least he's funny, while Bryce is just boring old Bryce 9 out of 10 times.

You really shouldn't really ignore examples that i offered where Japanese actors also sound very similar between their roles, especially when voicing protagonist. Actors aren't free to make up their own characters , in this case Bryce and other VAs of MCs are voicing teenage protagonists, who fall into same range most of the time, so you can't compare it to Monica Rial who does high pitched girls, kids, boys, older women etc. It would be more like comparing to Monica Rial who only does cutsey characters.

Monica Rial simply has had more opportunity to voice wide range of characters with various quirks from various archetypes, Bryce basically gets often typecast as MC (like Yuki Kaji or Matsuoka),

BTW he voices the little announcer guy in this clip . He isn't "lazy".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2