• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Ore

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me so much of Shinichi Watanabe(AKA Nabeshin)'s work that I'm amazed it doesn't actually come from the director of Excel Saga, Nerima Daikon Bros and other wacky anime comedies.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Casting Aya Hisakawa as a former magical girl was a nice bit of meta-commentary.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
I wasn't quite convinced by the two-episode opener, but the third one was absolutely hilarious, especially the 4th wall breaking lines. If they can keep that up, they'll have totally won me over.

It seems like Mohiro's idol-mate is somehow setting him up to be attacked by all the monsters, so I'm curious as to why and how that will all play out. I can't quite tell yet if he's part of the love polyhedron or not.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
This show reminds me so much of Shinichi Watanabe(AKA Nabeshin)'s work that I'm amazed it doesn't actually come from the director of Excel Saga, Nerima Daikon Bros and other wacky anime comedies.

Its not the speed talking Olympics, so it misses his crucial ingredient.
Javelin401

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
I find myself surprised by the choice of the transformed "Magical Girls" internal thoughts being voiced by their male persona rather than by their female persona. Wonder if there is a reason for this?
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I knew episode 4 was parodying something, but I didn't guess Kamen Rider (which is well outside my field of interest)... Thanks for spotting that. Smile

From the episodes so far I have resigned myself to the fact that this series is not going to be in any rush to move the plot forward, even just in service of the jokes.

Lauren wrote:
Sakuyo continues to be touchy and temperamental in a way that suggests that her lesbian feelings are a physical threat to Saki.

It's quite common in gender-bendy shoujo for a female character who has been turned male/swapped into a male body to get much more sexually aggressive towards the person she's attracted to; the attitude seems to be that having a penis confers the privileges of being male, which includes the right of being very direct, shall we say, about sexual desires. It's typically in completely heterosexual contexts. I don't think Sakuyo's behavior is in any way about the stereotype of gay people being predatory, but about the gendering of "acceptable" sexual expression (which opens its own can of worms).
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this anime so far, but Ogata playing a parody character wearing a plastic bag gives me life.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:

I think it is too early to call, but I was hoping this show would be a spiritual successor to Excel Saga, Koshi Rikudo approved.

I love how one demon in the group scenes has a strong gut instead of chiseled muscles. If I see a Space Butler in later episodes, I can die happy.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This week's review is gonna be interesting... Cool

Personally, I liked that the show fully committed to the "our episode isn't finished yet" parody, even if I didn't think the material was that strong. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to not explain how the industry works during the episode. And having the entire situation be defused by the two magical boys at the end was a little disappointing. But at least you've still got a perfectly good tape full of sakuga to air on TV.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
This week's review is gonna be interesting... Cool

Nailed the call on the review.

I don't quite understand what the reviewer was looking for in this show. It's a non-sequitur anime in much the same vain of Excel Saga or Dokuro-Chan. It thrives on horribly butchering the normal to make light hearted jabs at the status-quo, to think that the typical off-week in Japan would be treated any differently is interesting.

Either way i had a great laugh at all the in jokes from godzilla to each major studio being portrayed absurdly.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the episode was supposed to be a parody of Shin Godzilla
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Eh this wasn't a good review. Seems like the reviewer has missed the point of the entire show because it's not just parodying the magical girl genre but also a commentary on issues related to Japanese entertainment industries in general.The show has been calling out on music industry since it started so something like this should have also expected (especially when it made fun of its low production values in the beginning of ep 1). It was in line with the show's tone and commentary so I didn't feel it was out of place.

The director put his career at risk by calling out on the bad practices in the animation industry and Studio Pierrot so this episode was just him venting out at his bosses.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
I am all for some parody of the anime making industry, or comments on it. But the episode was kind of boring because I was really uninterested in Fujimoto, it felt too technical with a departure from the humour of the rest of the show, and really just did not feel like the same entity that the show has otherwise been.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 had a fun concept that could have been executed better, but I still got a kick out of hearing all those Evangelion voice actors play the cyborgs. Knowing the manga is only two volumes long, it doesn't surprise me that writer/director Itsurou Kawasaki already had to come up with some original material to fill the episode count.
Charou

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well since my other post criticizing the review was deleted, I'll be a little less direct.

it's a shame the reviewer did not get the Shin Godzilla references or pick up who the Fujimoto seiyuu were. Understanding these were key to getting the point of the episode.

I'll be interested to see just how much of an 'onsen' episode 6 will be...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3