• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Serial Experiments Lain's Chiaki J. Konaka Discusses Writing Game, Anime's Stories

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
To read the synopsis of the PlayStation game is a mild relief. For something as resoundingly bleak to have constituted the anime's ending—which, up to a point, I had feared from the first episode onwards—would have soured what was otherwise a superb experience. At least as far as appearances go, I found its coda more of a deserved reassurance than a cause for lasting disheartenment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article. This was a nice read and it's always a pleasure to read more from Konaka, who is responsible of 2 of my fav anime series ever (Lain and Texhnolyze). If only we could have Despera now... Confused
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Love me some Konaka. Everything he's written for has been absolutely fascinating.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Great works of art really do come from very humble origins and the process of just muddling through the creation of something often without knowing what you are doing at the time, huh?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
I thought it was rather spelled out in "an omnipresence in wired" that "serial experiments" refers to the act of transhumanism that characters like chisa, eiri, etc. perform. To "serialize" yourself, to create a next stage in your existence.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
I'd love to play that game someday. Unfortunately, the only translation is a PDF file you read along with the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
My getting into anime roughly coincided with my family buying their first internet-capable computer, and I spent a lot of my early time online reading various fans' interpretations of Lain. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1