• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Please hire an editor

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you have one already, but something needs to be done. It's becoming more common to see stories full typos and grammatical errors.

Take this story today for instance:

animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-04-07/my-hero-academia-anime-3rd-season-confirmed-for-25-episodes/.130084

This looks terrible, and someone should've seen it before it was posted.

And then there's this one:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-05/hiro-mashima-launches-new-manga-on-june-27-also-plans-fairy-tail-sequel-and-spinoff-manga/.129988

That's been like that for two days on the front page, and no one even noticed. These are just two examples. I understand that these things cost money, but this just doesn't look professional at all.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
I'll leave this here. animenewsnetwork.com/subscription

There's some mistakes there, but call me cynical/jaded or just tired of seeing hypocrisy.

v1cious wrote:
This looks terriblr, and someone should've seen it before it was posted.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
I'll leave this here. animenewsnetwork.com/subscription

There's some mistakes there, but call me cynical/jaded or just tired of seeing hypocrisy.

v1cious wrote:
This looks terriblr, and someone should've seen it before it was posted.

Fair enough, but I'm not running a professional news site.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I looked at both of the articles you linked. I added a word to the first article and added a missing (s) to another word within the article. In the second article I added a missing word.

Based on your post though, I thought there was maybe something wrong with the second article's headline but it looks ok to me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I looked at both of the articles you linked. I added a word to the first article and added a missing (s) to another word within the article. In the second article I added a missing word.

Based on your post though, I thought there was maybe something wrong with the second article's headline but it looks ok to me?

It's not the headline, it's the subheadline:

Quote:
Author previously teased that new will work be "new form of fantasy," will feature Plue

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that subheading, it's perfectly fine.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that subheading, it's perfectly fine.

It's direct translation which leads to missing a few words that would clarify things.

Currently looks like
Quote:

Author previously teased that new will work be "new form of fantasy," will feature Plue

What people instinctively fill in on their own
Quote:

Author previously teased that new will work be "A new form of fantasy". It will also feature Plue.

Additionally, if they really wanted to get extra fancy they could link to the character page for Plue for those people that don't understand why that character is relevant.

Either way, there's things that can be improved as is stated earlier. I just feel the OP is doing it the wrong way. They should be more upfront as to where and what the errors are instead of demanding the company hire new/more help.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It's still a perfectly valid sentence, the kind that are used all the time in journalism. It's a 2-part sentence, like if someone used a) and b), just without those (because they look sloppy in a header).

Quote:
Author previously teased that new will work a) be "new form of fantasy," b) will feature Plue

See? It's still a fine sentence that works perfectly and there is nothing wrong with it.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
It's still a perfectly valid sentence, the kind that are used all the time in journalism. It's a 2-part sentence, like if someone used a) and b), just without those (because they look sloppy in a header).

Quote:
Author previously teased that new will work a) be "new form of fantasy," b) will feature Plue

See? It's still a fine sentence that works perfectly and there is nothing wrong with it.

A two part sentence still requires proper structure, which is lacking. Emphasis on the comma that should be outside the quotation marks.

Again, I'm not particularly invested in this just was pointing out to the OP that there's better ways to go about things. I've showcased ways to improve the OP and the problems with the articles at this point it's out of my hands.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I dropped into this area to see if there was any mention of why we've gone 5 days with no new weekly reviews, and this caught my eye.

Sorry for the necro, but I've longed for this site to get an editor for years. Jacob seems to be the only one capable of editing their own work before publication here (and I get that it's not easy - you know what you wanted to write and your brain ignores your eyes and fills it in when reviewing it), and articles with typos are the rule rather than the exception. Sadly, that's become the norm across the internet, including online newspapers of record with well-paid editors.

That said, this thread demonstrates why they don't really feel the need for one. Even bolded, none of the defenders seem to have realized that "new will work be" is not proper English sentence or clause structure by any mental gymnastics. oO The issue was never the punctuation, since it was a sub-header and not intended to be a complete sentence.

And no, the comma does not go outside the quotation marks, unless you live in Europe (I don't know the conventions in other parts of the world). On an American-based site, the convention is still that commas and periods go inside (however, given how international this site is, I tend to grit my teeth and bear it, as the Europeans surely do when reading the American style). I know the reason for that is long since obsolete, but we've stubbornly resisted the metric system - do you think we're going to adjust to modern typography so easily? Wink Also, if a sentence ends with a quoted question, an additional period outside the quotation marks is not required. (E.g., [When I asked Sarah, she responded, "Is that what you think?"] not [...you think?".])

I think it's a losing battle though (but not a "loosing" one). I count the small blessings of people using "weary" only when they mean "tired," and "wary" when they mean "suspicious," instead of using "weary" for both and leaving me in the dark as to which they actually feel. I sigh with relief when someone asks me to "bear with" them instead of getting naked (bare) with them. I may be biased (yet am not "bias"), but I thank Star Wars and X-Men that more people are learning that "rogue" is not spelled "rouge."

And if you find typos or mangled sentences in what I've written, rather than it being hypocrisy, I'd say it only proves that everyone needs an editor. Very Happy
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'll nitpick.

"Jacob seems to be the only one capable of editing their own work before publication here"

should be

"Jacob seems to be the only one capable of editing his own work before publication here"

As for commas and quotation marks, I agree the comma should be inside. The only time I depart from this rule is in technical writing. I post a lot on ubuntuforums.org, and if I'm quoting a specific command, I put the punctuation outside the quotes to make it clear the punctuation isn't part of the command. I have a friend who has worked professionally as a technical editor. He takes the same approach.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I pondered that one for a bit, but decided that since the referent is the work of an unknown number of people of unknown gender, I figured "their" was appropriate. Old style would be, "the only one capable of editing his or her own work."

Imagine the sentence without the "own." "...the only one capable of editing his work" could be construed to mean that no one could edit Jacob's work but Jacob. Adding "own" clarifies that it's the work of the author being self-edited, not the work of Jacob, and since we don't know the gender of these unknown authors, "his/her" and the singular "their" are among the accepted substitutes.

I think this is one of those areas where people are still hashing it out, like whether or not to use two spaces or one between sentences in an age of proportional fonts. Smile Myself, I prefer two unto the grave, but I understand the arguments for one. Of course, on this site, that preference is preempted by the heartless text editor. Sad
Violynne

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
OK, I'll nitpick.

"Jacob seems to be the only one capable of editing their own work before publication here"

should be

"Jacob seems to be the only one capable of editing his own work before publication here"

Both of these are incorrect. It should be written as:
"Jacob, capable, seemingly edits work before publication."

English is the dumbest language on this planet due to is ridiculous "rules" and the incessant need by its writers to regurgitate the subject repeatedly, as with the examples above using "their" or "his" in both inaccurate examples.

Watch as many cringe at the following:
Jacob said, "I'm done with editing my own work.".

The two periods are proper, but "rules" established by printing companies centuries ago, and English cronies who can't let them go, make the above seem incorrect.

I suppose it could be worse, and it's written as:
jacob edits b4 posting lol
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1