• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream Land of the Lustrous Anime in U.S., Canada

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Good. Now just Made in Abyss is missing from Sentai's top 3 titles from 2017.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
It does help that a good size of the Sentai library (dubbed and subbed) is on HIDIVE. Of course, buying the merchandise and box-sets is how you truly can help the industry.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I’m really surprised they’re bringing this show to hidive before MiA, which came out a full season before Lustrous. I wonder if something is happening behind the curtain, like maybe Amazon has a deal with Sentai so they can hold onto the exclusive streaming rights just a bit longer, or if they want to bring it to hidive at the same time as the English dub. Regardless, I’m really getting impatient for MiA on bluray...
DragonSpooker

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adored LotL, I'm looking forward to paying that top dollar for the extravagant box set that'll be released. Pray we get a 2nd season.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I’m really surprised they’re bringing this show to hidive before MiA
It is on HiDive I got a HiDive account just to watch this and Princess Principal.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It is on HiDive I got a HiDive account just to watch this and Princess Principal.

Not in the US/Canada. This whole article is about getting shows on Hidive that are still exclusive to Amazon Prime, for which Made in Abyss still is.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Of course, buying the merchandise and box-sets is how you truly can help the industry.
Please don't parrot these gate-keepy talking points around here. The Japanese side of the global anime industry would not agree to these streaming deals if they didn't see a positive return from them.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss is still big enough that I would expect Amazon to hold onto those rights for as long as they can. But yeah, it's great that we're getting this show soon.

I just wish Sentai will actually release all of the episodes at once. The "put up an existing show one episode at a time" thing can sometimes be advantageous, but regarding catalog titles, it's just annoying beyond belief. I mean, you've subbed all the episodes already! Why can't you put them all up at once for the binge-happy users? It's especially weird when HIDIVE usually plays that as a selling point.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Of course, buying the merchandise and box-sets is how you truly can help the industry.
Please don't parrot these gate-keepy talking points around here. The Japanese side of the global anime industry would not agree to these streaming deals if they didn't see a positive return from them.

While watching the streams is certainly helps some and is better than not streaming or buying at all, Justin had stated in an old Answerman and I recall Funimation also confirming that discs sales are much more profitable per user than streaming. That makes sense when you think about it, at $5/mo. and at 50% sharing (CR's own figures), divided proportionately among all licensors based on shows viewed, streaming would only bring a fraction of profit per viewer compared to buyer of blurays. Of course, they make up for it in volume but that also depends on title.

I think it's rather a case of nothing to lose and simply another potential source of revenue as opposed to a positive return that quickly. I seriously doubt any show makes truly positive return i.e. makes up for its entire cost to produce back to the producers after a season's over just by streaming alone, as one ANN article interviewing a producer stated it can take up to 10 years to break even.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Made in Abyss is still big enough that I would expect Amazon to hold onto those rights for as long as they can.

Since a second season has been announced AND it got an anime of the year award, I do not see Amazon Prime letting MiA go to HiDIVE (or any other legal streaming service) if they can prevent it.

p.s. on an unrelated note, login to this site is fubar when using Firefox 60.0.1
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I’m really surprised they’re bringing this show to hidive before MiA, which came out a full season before Lustrous. I wonder if something is happening behind the curtain, like maybe Amazon has a deal with Sentai so they can hold onto the exclusive streaming rights just a bit longer, or if they want to bring it to hidive at the same time as the English dub. Regardless, I’m really getting impatient for MiA on bluray...
I think it is probably since they already announced a dub for Made in Abyss, and a Land of the Lustrous dub would likely come after the MiA dub.
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Great. First post totally derailed the discussion. So next time there's some news about MIA, all of you are going to talk about LOTL, I guess ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1