• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dennō Coil's Mitsuo Iso Directs Original 'Chikyūgai Shōnen Shōjo' Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm looking forward to it. It sounds kinda like Infinite Ryvius without the supernatural aspect.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this looks pretty cool. I quite enjoyed Dennō Coil and I’ve been wondering recently how come he hasn’t worked on many anime in general, not even directing anything else, since creating that series. This premise sounds intriguing and the rest of the names mentioned working on it sounds good as well. I’ll definitely be looking forward to this whenever it comes out. I wonder if this will be a movie or a TV series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
This is immediately relevant to my interests.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This sounds kind of neat. There definitely haven't been a lot of sci-fi anime set in space lately, barring the continuing iterations of various popular mecha shows.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sounds more like a TV series than a movie, but I'm more than glad to see Iso return to a directorial chair, regardless of format. Yoshida is just the cherry on top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
^ I don't see how this can be anything besides a TV series. Words cannot express how excited I am for this. He's fantastic at everything he does but but Dennou Coil is, IMO, a masterpiece. Even after all these years I rarely been impacted by an anime like I was with Dennou Coil. It was done so well and he got a lot of praise and a few awards for it, so I was always confused by the lack of work he's had in the directorial chair since then. I am beyond hyped. The story also sounds fairly unique compared to most anime in recent years. There's a lot that can be done with this setting. Hype is over 9000
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Excluding the animators that do the hard work, handling the script and director essentially makes Iso-sensei the main creator of this project!
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much depth and creativity was in Dennou Coil, and my love for realistic space media, this is gonna be incredible. Lots of hype, the way he writes child characters, especially by anime standards is absolutely fantastic, nobody can make the kind of relatable kid dialogue he can.
Definitely, definitely excited for this.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Interesting. I'm looking forward to it. It sounds kinda like Infinite Ryvius without the supernatural aspect.

Infinite Ryvius also popped into my head when I read that story synopsis. I loved Infinite Ryvius and Dennou Coil so I have really high hopes for this. Kenichi Yoshida is also one of my favorite character designers so that's an added bonus.
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
Planetes and Saturn Apartments popped into mind, but I love anything space so can't wait, been a long time since I saw Dennou Coil too, godspeed
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
*See Kenichi Yoshida* SOLD!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Oh, this looks pretty cool. I quite enjoyed Dennō Coil and I’ve been wondering recently how come he hasn’t worked on many anime in general, not even directing anything else, since creating that series.

Before Dennou Coil, Iso was known for his sakuga work on famous shows like Evangelion and RahXephon. He has popped up here and there, including as a key animator and compositor in Watanabe Shinichiro's Blade Runner 2049 short. (I saw him listed once as a "weapons designer" in a recent show but can't remember which.)

From reading Iso's comments after the release of Dennou Coil, it sounded like his long, grueling efforts to get that show produced soured his relations with the industry. It took seven years for him to find someone to produce Coil, and he stated in public at the time that the industry was only geared to producing adaptations and looked unfavorably on anime-original stories.

Quote:
Iso says that original works are not particularly welcomed or commended by the anime industry, which was originally created to animate manga in the first place. Like when everyone gets together to make an original anime but it doesn't sell... he ventures that perhaps this industry is not suited for making original projects.

-Sugii asks about the planning (pitching?) for Dennou Coil, and Iso says he had to do it himself - anime production studios wouldn't take him up on his offer and he was turned away everywhere [until he went to Tokuma]. Animators are not welcome except to do what they're told and since the industry feeds on profits made from making animated adaptations, they don't know how to sell original works. Therefore he had to do it himself.

They don't like it when the original creator goes on to direct the show as well (a director should be working under a production house). Iso can't mention too many details because of certain people in high places.

I'm just glad he's back and gets to direct another complete original story.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
configspace wrote:

Infinite Ryvius also popped into my head when I read that story synopsis. I loved Infinite Ryvius and Dennou Coil so I have really high hopes for this. Kenichi Yoshida is also one of my favorite character designers so that's an added bonus.

Me too, was already hyped with the director and seeing that Kenichi Yoshida's doing the designs makes me 100% in.

G S Palmer wrote:
This sounds kind of neat. There definitely haven't been a lot of sci-fi anime set in space lately, barring the continuing iterations of various popular mecha shows.

Completely agree. I miss when space used to be way more of a popular setting for anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Fuminori Honda will be the animation producer: https://twitter.com/hondasidasi/status/998354305609592833 (retweeted by Iso)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
A thoughtful looking, Iso-directed original anime about children in space... sign me up!

Kudos to Iso for continuing to be an uber talented maverick within the anime industry and producing creative works that no one else could possibly create.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1