• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics to Publish Batman & the Justice League Manga in October

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kae kurono

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Whats Up with their heads? Holy Moly.....Wonder Woman doesn't look as bad but damn those head sizes don't match the bodies.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
Whats Up with their heads? Holy Moly.....Wonder Woman doesn't look as bad but damn those head sizes don't match the bodies.

That's just the mangaka's style (unfortunately).

If you look up her designs for the Saint Seiya manga she does, body proportions are an issue there too.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote
This looks cute. Fixes the major issues with comic book western art style-ugly characters.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
This looks cute. Fixes the major issues with comic book western art style-ugly characters.

Which artists style? because there are a bunch of comics artists who look much better than this (Jim Lee, George Perez, Gary Frank, and Cliff Chiang to name a few)
joe_g7

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
I-is that a smile I see on Batman's face?? Whoa...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
I-is that a smile I see on Batman's face?? Whoa...

0/10, Not My Batman.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Are you serious? This Japanese take on them is awful looking. It fixes absolutely nothing. Superman looks atrocious as hell here and the proportions for all of them are awkward. To top it off, the plot premise for this manga sounds like fanfiction-y garbage.
Kakorat859

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
To be fair, most of the plots in Western comics feel like fanfictiony garbage. I do agree that these character designs are uncommon, but they really don't look that different from much other manga series out there, so I can't criticize them. I mean, DC Comics has so many different artists and publications that pretty much any design will fit in for these characters at this point.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kakorat859 wrote:
To be fair, most of the plots in Western comics feel like fanfictiony garbage. I do agree that these character designs are uncommon, but they really don't look that different from much other manga series out there, so I can't criticize them. I mean, DC Comics has so many different artists and publications that pretty much any design will fit in for these characters at this point.

Can't say I agree with any of that.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
<SIGH>

The manga market and American comics market are two different things.
You rarely have crossover over fans that love both equally and generally the mainline comic book fans do NOT like manga style versions of their heroes.
Likewise, you get the manga-philes who claim the Japanese do everything better which is baloney, too. They have the same big issues American comics do -- the writing is generally not that great and the artwork rarely breaks out of the current trend/cookie cutter template everybody else uses. That happens in anime, too, when you have a popular character design style everybody emulates or have the same production teams working on multiple shows one after another! That's why Cutie Honey Flash looked like Sailor Moon Stars -- the Stars production team moved on to do CH Flash after SM wrapped production!

I've read plenty from both the US and Japanese markets. They each have their ups and downs. 90% of anything that gets published is garbage whether we're talking Japan or the US.

Now, as far as these designs of the DC characters in this article, I don't like them. To begin with, they're based off the DC-52 redesigns which were bad and very generic at the start and even DC doesn't use those character designs anymore. (DC is gradually phasing in the pre-2011 costumes for a few characters.) The artist also isn't a nice fit for project. I agree it's the proportion issue and the artist's style does NOT fit these characters! They're NOT supposed to look like cute characters!

On the other hand, there have been Japanese artists that did a fine job on Batman. That seems to be a character people gravitate to and handle well. Kia Asimaya handled him well in the graphic novel "Batman: Child of Dreams," and, as awkward and cringy as it could get, the 8th Man creator's "Bat-Manga" was at times charming. Definitive Batman? Far from it but it was another take that was unique. They even adapted "Bat-Manga" for a short segment in an episode of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold." The episode showcased the strengths AND weaknesses of the classic Batman manga!
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
This feels like the Marvel Mangaverse all over again.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

I've read plenty from both the US and Japanese markets. They each have their ups and downs. 90% of anything that gets published is garbage whether we're talking Japan or the US!

Can we not do this false comparison please? Not everything in life is 100% equal. I daresay nothing is.

The average comic sells 20K. There clearly is a very large discrepancy in the markets.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Not everyone is Rob Liefield or Humberto Ramos.

Kakorat859 wrote:
To be fair, most of the plots in Western comics feel like fanfictiony garbage.

....Yeah because on the manga (or light novel) side of things it isn't like you have stories where you have people writing about such things as people being transported to another world where they're incredibly skilled at something or ones involving average Joe's hooking up with exceptionally attractive characters.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
American animation is inferior to anime overall, but manga is inferior to American comics due to the poor visuals.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
American animation is inferior to anime overall, but manga is inferior to American comics due to the poor visuals.

I really despise blanket statements like this, especially because if it wasn't for American animation, there wouldn't have been anime or manga to begin with, so calling it "inferior" is essentially writing off the history of animation all together.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2