• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GOG Adds Visual Novels From Sekai Project, MangaGamer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
And now you have another avenue to get around the BS from Valve.. Good!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
And now you have another avenue to get around the BS from Valve.. Good!
If only GOG have the recent titles also. But it's still nice move, CDPR.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I've bought an old game from them a long while ago. let's say my computer is fried or my dog throws it in the bathtub and I lose everything I downloaded, is it as easy to get the game back as it is for Steam? That's my question.
Bastille

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I've bought an old game from them a long while ago. let's say my computer is fried or my dog throws it in the bathtub and I lose everything I downloaded, is it as easy to get the game back as it is for Steam? That's my question.

GOG Galaxy functions similarly to Steam in terms of serving as a client you can use to download games that are tied to your account. Alternatively, as any game distributed through GOG has to be DRM-free (or at least should be, unless that's changed at some point), you can always make a backup copy of anything and it'd run independently of GOG's client being there.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

I'd argue that it's actually easier to restore downloaded games from GOG than it is from Steam. Steam only allows you to install the game through their service. GOG allows you to download a DRM-free installer, which means you can archive the games on a USB drive or a DVD-R and reinstall them at any time.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know GOG's guidelines on explicit content? They have a few games that are actually rated AO by the ESRB, but HuniePop is still censored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Does anyone know GOG's guidelines on explicit content? They have a few games that are actually rated AO by the ESRB, but HuniePop is still censored.

Well, they have this kind of game (https://www.gog.com/game/leisure_suit_larry_love_for_sail) on their site. So, I expect them to be more free on the context of adult content.

Quoted from GOG twitter.
"Our plans are to bring "All Ages" versions to http://GOG.COM . But we don't plan to block or interfere with compatibility for any additional content the devs want to make available on their end."
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Huniepop isn't exactly censored, it's more like you have to perform an extra step to get the original art. The "patch" is a text file, nothing more as it's all there in the data packet. What's baffling about that is the necessary steps are detailed in the GOG forums with full consent of the management so that censoring must come directly from the game developer.

I think the issue was that the GOG version was the just a repackaged Steam version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1