• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Wild 7: Another TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
No dub no buy
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes for dubs-the prices they're quoting for a dubbed series are no more than funi or sentai charge for their dubbed sets. And some older series really need to be dubbed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
What a wrong way to ask the question... I'm expecting to pay less if there isn't a dub. However, I'm willing to pay more if there is a new dub. But if you're not doing much work for an already existing dub dub then why should I pay more for it?

But I don't buy sub only BDs period as there's too much risk of burnt in subs.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd support dubs for good shows. Release Dancougar on blu-ray with dub, I'd love that. Tekkaman Blade was remastered on blu-ray in Japan recently, maybe they'll pick that up and give us a new dub. I can't stand that edited "Teknoman" version. Armored Trooper Votoms or Cyborg 009 (1979) would be nice too.
loveliver

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
From my comment on Discotek's Facebook post.

Voted yes! Dub watcher here! For those who doubt Discotek's decision, I saw their comment on their page. They said there would be dubbed-only sets as a potential option for any anime they've released subbed-only so far. I think they're gonna keep the old dub (if there is one) with their subbed version and the new dub on its own set, same price as one another. The translated subtitles raises the value of the set with the new dub anyway (not when the subbed set is with the old dub), so you don't "really" have to pay for the same subtitles twice. That is especially true if you already own that anime with those subtitles. I don't care if the new dub is with the subs (and old dub) if this concerns movies (but they're gonna have to come a little later if they've already released them in like 2017 and beyond). The upcoming Lupin III Part 4 Subtitled set should be the same price as the Dubbed set, so that should be a good example. But, I understand if they only care about dubbing Lupin III, because they can just use another studio for other anime they dub. Either that or save themselves some money and only dub their anime that has between 10 and 28 episodes (I don't really care if they dub their OVAs and ONAs). But yes, dub-only sets for those who care about their new dubs, and keep the subs and old dub(s) on their own set. Same value, don't have to double dip on the same subs. But one other thing, for those who don't have the subbed set yet, the hybrid set with a discount from the separate dubbed and subbed set prices together should do the trick (say the hybrid set is $59-$84 in comparison to the separate set's $39-$59).
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Well now, looks like the unlicensed (and in this case, unsubbed) members of the AT-X Famous Creator Series (a.k.a. Akira Tsuburaya's Retro-Modern Anime Club Band) are finally getting their due.

(I bet you anything that if they relicense Genma Wars, they advertise it as if it were an instrument of torture. Laughing)
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
(I bet you anything that if they relicense Genma Wars, they advertise it as if it were an instrument of torture. Laughing)

I am SO hoping they license this! That entire experience is just a pure sweet wine that will only get more incredibly bad yet enjoyable with age. I rewatched the first few eps with a friend who had never seen it before, and at some point, I turned to her and said "I apologize, this is WAY worse than I had actually remembered it being". And this was AFTER we had just marathoned Neo Yokio

As for Wild 7, I am excited! The bit of the manga I did get to read (ComicsOne put out 6 vols back in the day, pretty cheap on the used market) was absolutely over the top insane in the best way. And when every character seems to have a stock of guns on them, I had to double check that this was supposed to take place in Japan when the amount of guns put American action movies to shame. I hope the 2002 anime kept to the spirit of insanity!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes on dubs since I usually like to listen to them when I'm doing other things around the house. Although using Kickstarter to fund the dubs could be an option, it worked for Skip Beat.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope Diskotek rescues some other MB titles and maybe put them on Blu-ray SD if they have already been released on DVD *cough*Ah! My Goddess*cough*
the green death

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I’m pretty much sub only but if they end up doing things as both sub and dub for more I’m ok with that as I am happy for them to have the increased exposure.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Although using Kickstarter to fund the dubs could be an option, it worked for Skip Beat.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/675206-discotek-media-licenses-lupin-the-third-the-legend-of-the-gold-of-babylon?p=700899#post700899 (Lupin Gold of Babylon thread)

Jose Argumedo wrote:
We've heard that suggestion many times. KickStarter presents a lot of problems and it isn't an end-all be all solution. It doesn't fit the way Discotek works. It would also require licensor approval to even do in the first place. The best thing to do currently is to vote with your wallet. If this experiment does well, we'll likely do more. The more success we have, the more ambitious we'll get.

Since you mentioned Skip Beat, there was that first attempt with Indiegogo and I wonder if the issues Jose's referring to is why Pied Piper went with them first before switching to Kickstarter for it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

But I don't buy sub only BDs period as there's too much risk of burnt in subs.

What blurays have had burned in subs? I know that Japan often requires locked subs, but that’s far different than burned in subs. Locked subs can be disabled with software or moved off screen on a number of Bluray players. Burn subs are actually part of the video and can’t be removed at all. Very different things.

Not to mention, the question may have been a little vague, but they were clearly meaning newly produced dubs. DiscoTek has always been pretty reliable in tracking down older dubs and they’ve all been reasonably priced. Newer dubs would of course cost more.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
Don’t have Facebook or Twitter. So I guess I can’t enter.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
Huh. I must've forgotten there was a Wild 7 TV series. I only knew about the OVA. I hope it's as bombastic as that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
And nothing of equal value was lost.

Still holding out in hoping for them to license the following anime:

Da Capo (all seasons and OVAs)
Manabi Straight
Minami-ke (all seasons and OVAs)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (All seasons, OVAs, and movie)
They Are My Noble Masters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2