• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater Manga Confirmed to Get TV Anime in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Do we really need MORE Shingami-related anime?
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes we do, this book is badass.

On a sidenote: OUT-FREAKIN-STANDING!
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Not something I would normally pick up but Bones hasn't steered my wrong yet.
MageofFire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Ooh this sounds interesting.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I read a little of the manga and I was very impressed. Now that Bones involve is pretty much clinch it that this will be on mine watchlist for sure.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The manga is fantastic, and the anime looks to be capturing the art style quite well.
Mind you, all that initial plot stuff mentioned in the article (been a while, but I'm pretty sure the demon stuff isn't actually true; they're weapons, but I don't recall them ever being called demons) is instantly abandoned and the actual book is more about the students and teachers trying to stop a couple of evil witches from driving the world mad.
hara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
BONES might screw up with the script but this could be one of their better anime. At least it will have cool protagonists (which all lacked in the latest BONES shows). I enjoyed the manga.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:

Mind you, all that initial plot stuff mentioned in the article (been a while, but I'm pretty sure the demon stuff isn't actually true; they're weapons, but I don't recall them ever being called demons) is instantly abandoned and the actual book is more about the students and teachers trying to stop a couple of evil witches from driving the world mad.

The demon part comes from "makama," but yeah, Soul Eater's a weapon first and foremost. So far, the anime materials are highlighting the initial premise and have not mentioned the literal witch hunt plot. Bones might linger longer on the setup to ensure it doesn't overshoot the ongoing manga.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty sure they'd never used "oni."
魔鎌 Ma Kama just means Magic Scythe.
Ma does tend to be on the sinister side, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a fair amount of anime original material; the show's supposed to run for a full year, and with only ten lightning paced volumes, that isn't much to draw from. Alternatively, they might take a FMA approach and start spinning their own ending once they catch up - from volume ten, it definitely looked like that arc won't be ending any time soon, since it just keeps getting more complicated.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Heh, yeah, definitely not the garden-variety magic here. Hopefully, Bones will do its usual thing: take a solid, entertaining original story and tweak just enough to make it work for anime with some surprises, while still keeping fans of the original (mostly) happy.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
everybody_loves_hypnotoad wrote:
Do we really need MORE Shingami-related anime?

Since it's Soul Eater than yes we do and I'm expecting an FMA approach by Bones as well.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hmm .... this doesn't sound all that interesting in my opinion but it being from BONES is enough for me. I'll definitely be giving this series a look once the time comes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
I've only read 3 volumes compared to Andrew who has read 10 but while it's not highly original (though what is these days) it does have style and it's just good fun. I hope Bones nails the casting choice for Blackstar though... will be awesome in the right hands and just downright annoying if he's miscast.

Hmm wonder what time slot it will get, Dokuru is clearly out of the question since Gundam 00 will be back in that slot for Fall and Geass is rumored to step in between the two 00 seasons.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, WIN! I love this series! And animated by BONES? This has totally made my day! Finally, I'll be able to get my friends into this series! ...hopefully. =3
Destinyblade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Hmm wonder what time slot it will get, Dokuru is clearly out of the question since Gundam 00 will be back in that slot for Fall and Geass is rumored to step in between the two 00 seasons.

Just found out on MOON PHASE. It's scheduled to air on TV Tokyo on Mondays at 6:00pm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2