• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I Want to Eat Your Pancreas Novel Author Shares Mixed Feelings on Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I respect this so much. Here in the US a creator will almost always throw blind praise behind a project that's currently in theaters. Only years later will they say anything negative. Basically, they wait until it's "safe" to do anything. I really appreciate this honesty. I'll watch it and then hopefully someday read the novel to compare.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I respect this so much. Here in the US a creator will almost always throw blind praise behind a project that's currently in theaters. Only years later will they say anything negative. Basically, they wait until it's "safe" to do anything. I really appreciate this honesty. I'll watch it and then hopefully someday read the novel to compare.

Isn't it usually the exact opposite? Japanese creators almost always seem to give the standard publicist-approved "I'm happy to see my work adapted in a new way!" boilerplate. This is one of the first times I've seen a creator make an outright negative statement about how their work is handled. Meanwhile Western creators seem much more willing to speak their minds. See Alan Moore's long litany of abuse against the movie versions of his comics, for instance.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
This is precisely why writers have to step away from their works and let the guys adapting the work do their thing, OR write the damned screenplay for the movie themselves!

The problem is written work and moving imagery are two different things. A lot of writers can't let go of their words and instead of letting the pictures tell the story, they write it to death. We call this "talking heads syndrome."
This is what they mean when a TV series or motion picture plays more like a radio drama than an actual film. The old days of TV were awful because they were adapting radio and stage plays straight to television but NOT taking advantage of camera angles and letting the image tell the story on-screen! There are tons of these old shows on YouTube so you can exactly what I mean.
I've read comic books written by people who have literal diarrhea of the mouth but they were so egotistical and allowed to self-edit themselves that they didn't make the cuts they should have. There was one comic that I read that to this day I remember as being one of the WORST-scripted comics in memory and it was written by a man who a HUGE name in the American comic industry in the 1970s and 1980s. This book came out in the early 1990s but it was incredible that got released as it was. It was so over-written and needed to be severely edited; at least half, maybe as much as 3/4 of the dialogue and explanatory captions needed to be thrown away so you could enjoy the book!

The novel of Jaws was written by the co-writer of the screenplay (which came later, of course). He wisely agreed with the changes they made to the story for the film. They trimmed the excess fat from the novel and it became one of the best-loved thriller/horror films of all time.
HiyoriKazane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'll watch it and then hopefully someday read the novel to compare.

Well you can read the novel if you search on google.

I did read the novel and that just got me to hyped for the upcoming movie.

Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1