• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mitsuru Adachi's Mix Manga Gets TV Anime in Spring 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
oh my god dreams come true after all it been long time since I finished this manga
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
YAAAASSSS!!!!
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:
oh my god dreams come true after all it been long time since I finished this manga

Isn't it still ongoing?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
More Adachi anime is always good. The Cross Game adaptation was absolutely fantastic.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Definitely something to look forward to. I especially appreciated that Cross Game's anime didn't start until the manga was in the home stretch; that way, we got a filler-free, well-paced end product. Hopefully that's what we get this time as well.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Would it be consider a "Part 1" or something? The manga is approaching the end of their first summer as HIgh Schoolers... but not their first year of school.

In my opinion the story has yet to get to the real point. There are no real antagonists. There are no great obstacles to overcome yet. There aren’t even any set romantic entanglements. They want to win and get to Koshien but realistically that’s not happening in the first year and besides, an Adaichi sports story is never about the sport. They’re about family, dealing with growing pains, dealing with current and past tragedies, etc.
There’s the important history of past tragedies but so far it’s just back story- nothing to deal with. There’s a lot of hinting about sibling rivalry and the dual case of step-brothers and how they get along… but no actual fights.

(A few months back I wrote my theories of where I think the story might go in the "What are you reading" manga thread- I'd suggest responding to that post if you want to debate that)

Starting a series now (or April) will just be a case of telling all the back story and very slowly (hopefully) setting up what the actual point of the show will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I've always been surprised not a single adachi work ever made it stateside. I guess his focus is on baseball, but we even got Prinicess Nine. Maybe one of these days someone like discotek could put out touch or clover.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's too bad. Even the manga publishing is spotty. Viz streamed Cross Game, possibly only on Hulu, but that's it. (and of course published the entire manga in Omnibus formats)
...and his work is not exclusively baseball.

But it's also true that not all the anime are great (H2 cuts too much comedy and ended at the halfway point- which should be a warning for Mix) and most are older and niche buys even without a sports focus. The Touch series is 101 episodes long, with multiple movies and suffers big-time from 80's story problems (sexist, melodramatic, art that's a hard sell to modern audiences)

Actually, I think the best thing to do would be to adapt the ones that haven't before. Katsu is an awesome story. Rough is probably his best romance and has a great supporting cast. Slow Step has definite potential for a remake made for the times. Hell. redo H2 in a more streamlined and complete version.

(My manga ratings- Mix would be around 6-8 about now *has anime)
Masterpiece
1. Cross Game*
Excellent
2. Katsu! (boxing)
3. H2*
4. Bōken Shōnen (Adventure Boys) (anthology)
Very Good
5. Touch*
6. Jinbē (seinen quasi-incest romance)
7. Rough (Swimming/Diving)
8. Nine*
9. Short Program (anthology)
Good
10. Itsumo Misora (sports related, super-powered middle-schoolers)
11. Slow Step* (sports related, shojo comedy)
12. Niji-iro Tōgarashi (Swords & light sorcery comedy-adventure, kinda his Inuyasha)
13. Miyuki* (Shonen romantic comedy- manga is better than TV show)
14. Hiatari Ryōkō! (Sunlight All Around!)* (sports related, shojo comedy)
15. Q and A (Track and Field)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, it's too bad. Even the manga publishing is spotty. Viz streamed Cross Game, possibly only on Hulu, but that's it. (and of course published the entire manga in Omnibus formats)

Short Program also got released by Viz but they dropped it after two volumes.

Quote:
...and his work is not exclusively baseball.

Most of it is. The vast majority of his work is at least sports related drama/comedy. Given that and his character designs it's not really surprising that it doesn't sell well in the US.

Quote:
Actually, I think the best thing to do would be to adapt the ones that haven't before. Katsu is an awesome story. Rough is probably his best romance and has a great supporting cast. Slow Step has definite potential for a remake made for the times. Hell. redo H2 in a more streamlined and complete version.

You'd need someone like Netflix to get involved for that because production committees aren't going to do an anime for titles which they have nothing to promote.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
realist spoilsport!
There is a slight glimmer of hope though. The recent nostalgia wave could convince a production committee to adapt an older work by Adachi. After all, he is one of Japan's most popular manga writers, in his case an adaption of any of his works can promote his current works.

Back on the subject of Mix. It seems that I was actually quite behind on the manga. I'm kind of happy to see that the story is now further along than I thought, close to hitting their next summer (after just flying through the off-season).
But it's still missing a good hook beyond "Lets go to Koshien." The supporting cast step-brothers have a good plot going, but not the main cast. Quite frustrating. Good comedy, nice characters, lots of good referential humor. No hook.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1