• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - EVO Extravaganza

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Persona Q2 is one of the stranger announcements since, I vaguely recall during the Meikyuu Cross announcement that this would be the last EO for the 3DS and just recently announced EO6 with a super brief teaser video with a strong implication it would be for the switch.

Granted, Persona Q2 isn't an EO game directly, but i thought they meant they would be ending all the EO related stuff for the 3ds and move to the switch. Not that I'm complaining, getting one last dungeon crawler is nice though the 3ds still leaves better quality videos something to be desired.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
The Waluigi thing stopped being funny when people were basically harassing Sakurai about it.

As for the rest of Smash, it really shows why Nintendo makes everyone else look like amateurs. Simon had already been leaked the night before due to a music sample being uploaded to the SSB channel, but no one was expecting Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool. And there's still more to come. Just how much is IN this game anyway? Sakurai is crazy
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With Persona Q2 releasing in Japan late this year, the question arises of whether or not Atlus will opt to do a Western 3DS release for (presumably) mid-late next year. You would think it'd be a foregone conclusion, but remember, the remake of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment on PSP was passed over as the PSP was rapidly dying in the west.

The difference being that Persona 's newfound popularly unfortunately didn't translate to amazing sales on the re-releases, while PQ sold better than any of the EO games (and better than the other Persona spin-offs in Japan). I wouldn't be too surprised if PQ2 was digital only in the west though, and would be even less surprised if we got it instead of EOX.

Zerreth wrote:
I vaguely recall during the Meikyuu Cross announcement that this would be the last EO for the 3DS and just recently announced EO6 with a super brief teaser video with a strong implication it would be for the switch.

PQ2 was also announced a year ago, so it was kind of a given that even if Atlus was counting it as part of EO, it would be an exception to the "last one" statement. They tend to not cancel announced projects, and after an admittedly very brief Google search it seems they've only ever cancelled 4 games.

Last edited by DRWii on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Street Fighter V:

Quote:
Also, Sagat's a whole lot of Sagat. I want to pet that tiger.

Such a handsome and majestic feline. He really adds to Sagat's intro.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate:

Quote:
Luigi is DEAD!

It's funny. I remember some original ideas from Luigi's Mansion were going to be as hardcore as a ghost trying to decapitate Luigi. Nintendo really doesn't need to be that edgy and dark to get attention, but if it works, it works.

Quote:
Chrom and Dark Samus: Very much in the game as well, though this means the rest of the Smash cast can't make jokes at Chrom's expense anymore.

I get the distinct feeling that Chrom being playing alongside Lucina in Project X Zone 2, but not the previous Smash Bros., might have spurred his inclusion in this.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I bet Narukami just wakes up, looks around, and mutters “looks like we just landed in Smash Bros today ” with a long, heavy sigh before having to drag out Izanagi yet again.

I think at this point he doesn't even waste energy trying to express displeasure.
He just devotes all his energy to mastering whatever new meta he's plopped into.

Now here's a prediction: what if SMT gets a crossover with smash? I think Sakurai said to look forward to more surprises and while that could take any form what if its Demi-fiend from SMTIII:Nocturne or Joker from the recent Persona 5?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Calsolum"]
Now here's a prediction: what if SMT gets a crossover with smash?

After Tokyo Mirage Sessions flopped in Japan I don't know why they'd do that even if Smash's popularity would buoy any downturn.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

Now here's a prediction: what if SMT gets a crossover with smash? I think Sakurai said to look forward to more surprises and while that could take any form what if its Demi-fiend from SMTIII:Nocturne or Joker from the recent Persona 5?

That's been a longstanding prediction and considering how the SMT franchise is coming to the switch with SMT V they could probably do something. It would be extra hilarious if Joker came since Xander Mobus also voices the Announcer in Smash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1