• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Media Blasters goes DVD-R-only for DVD releases...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Learned of this today due to the RACS weekly newsletter [underlining added by me]:

http://media-blasters.com/customer-service/ [text below]

For DVD replication only, Media Blasters has switched to a DVD On-Demand service using DVD-R recordable media. Media Blaster’s full quality guarantee and return policy still apply. (NOTE: Our Blu-ray discs are commercially pressed and should play on all domestic NTSC zone A playback equipment.)

Important: Please note that DVD-R recordable media should play fine on most current DVD and Blu-ray players but may have playback issues on some computers and game systems. If you experience playback issues, please contact us and we will resolve the problem to your satisfaction.

ABOUT DVD RECORDABLE MEDIA

DVDs produced on-demand are similar to commercial DVDs. Most DVD movies sold at retail outlets are mass-produced from a mold via a stamping process whereas on-demand DVDs are “burned”.

Most DVD players are compatible with both commercially ‘pressed’ DVD-Video and one or more of the “recordable DVD formats. Our on-demand DVDs are manufactured using the most widely accepted format, DVD-R.

Your DVD player’s manual should list the compatible DVD recording formats. Almost all current DVD players manufactured after 2000 can play DVD-R media. However, some computers and game systems will not play or may experience difficulty playing back DVD-Rs.

PRODUCT QUALITY ASSURANCE

PLEASE NOTE: Discontinued titles like GODZILLA VS. MEGALON and others are also protected under our customer service warranty. If you have any performance issues with any current or discontinued Media Blasters product, your purchase is still protected and backed by us.

Media Blasters is committed to fully serving our customers and will gladly exchange or refund any Media Blasters DVD-R, blu-ray or product purchased directly from us or any retailer that does not play due to manufacturing defect. Discs that were damaged from misuse, accident, or wear and tear are excluded from this policy. Regardless of when you purchased your Media Blasters disc, if you find that one of your discs does not play or suffers from some other manufacturing defect, please contact our customer service.

Legitimate, authentic Media Blasters product is distributed on both DVD-R (recordable media) and pressed DVDs. Both types of discs are guaranteed to be of the highest quality and warranted to the original owner against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. If for any reason, a Media Blasters product or program does not properly playback or live up to your expectations, please contact us and we will provide an exchange or refund. We honor all legitimate Media Blasters product purchased from any authorized vendor or retailer such as Amazon, Right Stuf and others.

--------------------------

Knowing burned discs do not last as long as their pressed counterparts, any anime I buy from them going forward will be pressed Blu-rays only if it can be helped... I already got 'burned' last year when I bought stuff from them @ a convention and it WAS NOT MARKED as DVD-R. They even featured the (licensed) DVD Video logo on the cases, whick cannot be used with DVD on demand discs, much like the traditional Compact Disc logo can't be used on discs that don't meet Redbook Audio specs, like Dual Discs or some copy-protected Audio CDs [which Japan tried several years back & was broken VERY easily]...

Heck, some bootlegger could make copies of their stuff and, because the discs aren't pressed, you'd never know...

Add in Sentai going 99% Blu-ray only, and I feel for those who don't have Blu-ray players yet...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they've been doing this for a long while now. RightStuf didn't have their products marked as such at first, but I think they do now. I went out of my way to pick a few old singles of Ramen Fighter Miki out of their bargain bin and then tracked down the missing volume on eBay to replace the DVD-R copy I unknowingly bought.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know they have, but I thought until now they were still doing some pressed DVD releases mixed with their DVD-Rs and now were dropping pressed DVDs altogether...

I'll still support MB by buying their Blu-rays (until they switch to BD-Rs, but those are a bit off from being cost-effective)...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
My policy ---
DON'T buy DVD-R if you're concerned about long-term viability of the media.
DVD-R just isn't stable.
It's ironic to think VHS tape holds up better than 5-inch disc! I've got 20-year-old VHS tapes that play just fine but DVD-R's that have gone bad in far less than 5 years.
If you're gonna get DVD-R to record your own stuff, get something like stone disc (they have the "M" label and you need an "M" disc burner to use these).
Otherwise, I stay clear of DVD-R releases from EVERYBODY at this point.

I have lost so much material that was burned to DVD-R and even the more "reliable" DVD-R producers like Verbatim-- well, their discs go bad just like the junk from everybody else!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1