• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animation Studio drop Files for Bankruptcy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
They survived for years doing work assistance and really it seems like they should have carried on with that path. As they started doing there own anime as the lead they go bankrupt. They didn't have much of a budget, Clione was actually decent enough but the budget was so low. Don't even remember the other two.
青白

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Hahahaha studio drop!! The name!
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
So they didn't actually go bankrupt, just saw that they weren't going to make much profit going forward and instead of just closing they filed for bankruptcy?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
So they didn't actually go bankrupt, just saw that they weren't going to make much profit going forward and instead of just closing they filed for bankruptcy?

sluggish profit just means that the revenue covered the costs for the projects (i.e. employees/contractors) but they still have outstanding debt they haven't paid off:
Quote:
An investigation is underway to determine the company's debt.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
They did animation work on some pretty good stuff for many years, but Glamorous Heroes is one of the worst anime I've ever seen. They should've stuck to in-between animation/"cooperation".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
They survived for years doing work assistance and really it seems like they should have carried on with that path. As they started doing there own anime as the lead they go bankrupt. They didn't have much of a budget, Clione was actually decent enough but the budget was so low. Don't even remember the other two.

The causation may be the other way around: going into original production because the external work wasn't coming in and it's better than having your staff root around on facebook all day.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
not surprised at all. this pathetic niche is dying.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, I know them mainly from Naruto Shippuuden, they did entire episodes every bunch of weeks.
The quality of their work varied, but it was better than some of the other outsourced studios. Especially under director Yamashita in the Boruto anime, they managed to maintain a more consistent quality.
Pierrot and Pierrot + worked together with them since a long time, I hope Pierrot will take their employees in.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

The problem is that in this day and age, everyone's outsourcing, from relative newcomers like R.I.C and Jumondo, to vets like Anime R and Asahi Production. Heck, look at an anime these days and you're about as likely to see Bones or White Fox providing inbetweening and other menial tasks as much as any of those other subcontractors.

drop would have had maybe 1-2 years left if they kept on subcontracting, so it was inevitably going to happen anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1