• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone: Limited Edition BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
I think this is a less than optimal result of the Funimation / CrunchyRoll deal. A series that might not warrant anything more than a sub-only barebone release ends up dubbed in a Collector's Edition. Hopefully it will sell enough to make back the costs put into it.

Mark Gosdin
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
Can't comment on the Dub because I haven't seen it, but watching this steaming all I could think was "this is boring trash". From start to finish I couldn't find anything compelling about it.

How it got a Limited Edition is beyond me?
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't hate it. Maybe because I follow the novels.
The extra goodies do look good though.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Smartphone isn't a slice of life show, but it still seems to be designed for an audience that doesn't actually want their shows to contain conflict.

This is exactly what i thought when i sampled the first couple volumes of the novel. I guess i can understand the appeal for the stereotypical, extremely overworked and over-stressed Japanese office worker to have a power fantasy completely without conflict, but in my opinion it makes for an uninteresting story. At least i can give it credit for lacking any pretense whatsoever; if you're not onboard for Touya instantly solving every problem with a convenient spell he was given, the train's not slowing down for you.

There are plenty of Isekai stories that do interesting things with their premises, and are even great stories on their own; The Faraway Paladin, Realist Hero, So I'm A Spider, So What? (getting an anime soon), so it disappoints me a bit that Smartphone, at least as of last year, was by far the biggest selling novel JNovel Club has.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
Wasn't my cup of tea, but I can't imagine this would get a limited edition if they didn't think it would sell. Funi does know their own streaming numbers, right? I can't imagine they're making these for just any show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
A series that might not warrant anything more than a sub-only barebone release ends up dubbed in a Collector's Edition. Hopefully it will sell enough to make back the costs put into it.

I rather see them lose money. Hopefully that way they learn to not spend extra resources on crap. Companies should not be rewarded for making stupid decisions.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
Can't comment on the Dub because I haven't seen it, but watching this steaming all I could think was "this is boring trash". From start to finish I couldn't find anything compelling about it.

That suggests it probably did fairly well streaming. That and whether it had materials available for an LE. Honestly, I've given up on trying to guess whether something will get an LE at this point since I'm almost always wrong.

It doesn't exactly bode well for the show when Touya's only request of God is that he be allowed to keep his phone, and even God was like, "That's it?" If your central premise isn't much of a hook on its own, there is a problem.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:

Isekai show sells, they sell really well. Some people just love the power/harem fantasy, some people just want another hit of sword art online. Fact is, if show like this didn't sell the anime industry would collapse, these are literally the cash cow that fund every niche show.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Unlike everyone else here I liked it a lot, I don't know, I found it stupidly funny.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Chaos Wings wrote:

That suggests it probably did fairly well streaming. That and whether it had materials available for an LE. Honestly, I've given up on trying to guess whether something will get an LE at this point since I'm almost always wrong.

I love Funi, but I forever scratch my head on how they choose what gets an LE (it might be streaming and materials like you said). I will never understand how this and Hajimete No Gal got LEs, but Dragon Maid and New Game (which came out around the same time and are infinitely better than both) didn't.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
I would have much rather Tanya or WorldEnd have gotten a limited edition release than Smartphone, and I even follow the novels lol.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
So it's basically Gary Stu: The Fanfic Anime?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I love Funi, but I forever scratch my head on how they choose what gets an LE (it might be streaming and materials like you said). I will never understand how this and Hajimete No Gal got LEs, but Dragon Maid and New Game (which came out around the same time and are infinitely better than both) didn't.

a large part of it is streaming performance. that's never been a secret. They even directly address this in the blog post that discusses the LE's for IBO, Gal and Testament Burst on the website. I'm admittedly somewhat baffled myself, but both Gal and Smartphone had overall better success than Dragon Maid and New Game
Toonces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:

I think this actually streamed well, despite the hate for it. People genuinely like these types of shows. I tend to agree with Nick on this one, but there's a definite audience for this stuff. I agree it's a shame that shows like Tanya, WorldEnd, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, or even Danganronpa 3 (which I thought also sucked, but I would've bought LEs) didn't get anything, but that's the way it goes. People may also be right about materials provided or that Funi could get rights to print.

Personally, I didn't even like the novel that much. It's just a boring series to me. But J-Novel says it's one of their top sellers, and it does well in Japan, so the audience definitely exists.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
It was a great and enjoyable show so well deserved LE and the LN is pretty good aswell just one of thoose great chill reads wish it had another season and also ye deserves a better score then it got here ....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2