• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Times Western Music Invaded Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
I don't understand the poll results. I love Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, but it's not a shoujo manga. It's somewhat harder to classify because it's in Gangan Online and not a printed magazine/phonebook, but nothing by Square Enix's Gangan is shoujo. (A fair number are crossover demographics.) It's true that Izumi Tsubaki does also write shoujo manga published in Hana to Yume, like Oresama Teacher, but people are allowed to write for different target audiences.

Of course, the very fact that it's not targeted at a shoujo manga audience is why it would win a poll like this. (Also that it's very good.)
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Eden of the East's opening is really, really cool.

Never finished Ergo Proxy and I never payed all that much attention to Ergo Proxy's ending (the opening is super awesome), but I do remember noticing that it sounded more like it had an English speaking / Western vocalist. To think that the ending was actually by Radiohead! Mindblown.

Gunslinger Girl also has an opening by a Western band. It's actually a really cool opening, kinda melancholic which fits the show quite well.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not exactly my (or anyone's) favorite artist, but Maison Ikkoku had that one episode that used Gilbert O'Sullivan songs for the opening and ending, going back in the following episodes to the previous opening and ending. I'm pretty sure those songs didn't make non-Japanese releases.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
I came here to say the same thing as John Thacker, that Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun isn't a shoujo manga. Anyway though, I'm glad my three favorite manga (Kare Kano, Basara, and Cardcaptor Sakura) all at least made the list.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
No Dave Rogers songs from Initial D?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I was sure that the use of one of the most famous rock-and-roll songs of all time, "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes, in the Monster episode of the same name would be at the top of the list. Somehow it didn't even make the cut.

"Be My Baby" has been one of the most evergreen compositions in the history of popular music. (It continues to earn royalties for Phil Spector as he sits in his jail cell serving 19 to life for murder.)

Perhaps Lynzee has only seen Viz's US release where the song is not used? There was no way in hell Viz could have afforded the R1 rights. It was replaced by elevator music, leaving Americans wondering why the episode has the title that it does.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Texhnolyze's opening was Juno Reactor's "Guardian Angel"

B: the Beginning's ending theme might also qualify.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
There was also Kamisama no Memochou which used Mr. Big's Colorado Bulldog for ED.
It's also an example of what a licensing headache English songs in anime can be as the Sentai release used the regular ending theme for all episodes...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Not many people are aware of this, but the Japanese dub of Mad Bull 34 uses a James Brown song in its end credits. The song was removed and re-scored over for the English language release, and for years it wasn't available until Discotek released it on dual audio DVD for the first time.
NormanS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The Queen Millennia movie's ending credits has Dara Sedaka (Neil Sedaka's daughter) singing it in English. Its pretty good.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
There's also "Scarborough Fair" in WorldEnd, but it's not the Simon and Garfunkel version of the song.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
My personal favorite is “Shiver” by Lucy Rose, the beguiling opening to Mushishi’s second season, Mushishi Zoku-Shou.

On first listen, it might just seem like a random folk song about wistful longing, but it’s actually quite fitting: It took nearly a decade for the manga’s second half to receive the same lavish animated treatment as the first. Set to wintry imagery (contrasted with the first season’s real-world photographs of lush vegetation), it’s as if director Nagahama and crew are inviting us to “shiver like we used to” after a long time apart, to feel the series’ gamut of emotions and experiences once more.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The best use of a western song in anime is when Saban censored a Digimon's death and replaced it with stock footage of the character dancing to Smash Mouth's All Star Laughing Any other answer is wrong
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Why does everyone forget about One Piece Film Z? Avril Lavigne both end credits songs... granted they were both covers of preexisting songs... It even stands out due to the fact that the english dub kept the songs (while Strong World could use it's end credits song).

Also it fun to tell people "Did you know Avril Lavigne once did a cover of a Nickleback song for a One Piece movie?" and then explain that you're not making it up. It sounds so weird but it's true!
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I always liked Lain's OP song.

Always had that teen drama feel to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4