• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animax on PlayStation App for PS4 Ends Service in Japan in January

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote
That doesn’t sound good. If they’ve already sunk the money into developing s PS4 app, how bad can the marginal costs of streaming to it be? Unless the PS4 only supports some weird encoding/protocol. Also, isn’t Sony an investor/partner/owner of Animax?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
That doesn’t sound good. If they’ve already sunk the money into developing s PS4 app, how bad can the marginal costs of streaming to it be? Unless the PS4 only supports some weird encoding/protocol. Also, isn’t Sony an investor/partner/owner of Animax?

Yes. My guess is that Sony might open a Japanese division for Funimation some time in the future. However, I'm just speculating. In the anime industry, anything can happen.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Yes. My guess is that Sony might open a Japanese division for Funimation some time in the future. However, I'm just speculating. In the anime industry, anything can happen.

That sounds more like the case, rather than shake our heads about the state of anime marketing and game consoles in Japan.
It's definitely What Sony Would Do.

My reaction was, "They don't want Animax on PS4?...WE'LL take it!! Shocked "
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
While this is sad news for the fans who rely on the app, I'm not sure the situation with Funimation has much to do with shutting down the app, considering this is an app only for Japan as far as I'm aware.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I kind of doubt Sony's going to toss away a brand they've successfully built in Japan over the last 20 years in favour of importing an American one that's entirely unheard of there.

While this app is closing, the linear channel is still going strong (seems Santia Sho will air on it, too) and they've got other VOD options.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1