• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Original Eva English Cast Petition to Re-Dub Series for Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd prefer an Evangelion dub where Shinji isn't a stereotypical caricature of a whiny coward and Asuka has some shades of subtlety occasionally, so I'm not signing anything that brings either Spike Spencer or Tiffany Grant back to their roles. I was baffled they bothered to do it for Rebuild, because it isn't as if the Evangelion dub was one of the more popular ones. Rei can be played by any woman who can do a distant, whispery voice, so Amanda Win-Lee is utterly replaceable, and a lot of the other voice actors were middling at best.

It boggles the mind that people are, after decades of indifference, suddenly waxing nostalgic for an English dub that doesn't hold up in the slightest. And bringing them back to do a new one wastes the opportunity to clean the slate and give it to people who can, you know, act.

It would be hard to hold a candle to the Japanese cast either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I want a redub with new actors. If it is redubbed I hope Bang Zoom handles it.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is the point? Most of them are not better actors now and they were back then. Their voices just sound older and so are less suited for these characters now. Redubbing with the same cast is pointless.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think Amanda Winn Lee is a bad voice actress. I love her as Rally Vincent but I don’t think any of the original dub cast have a claim on these characters just because they voiced them years ago. I’d like to see a new dub cast. I’d love to see NYAV take a crack at it because they generally produce great dubs but Bang Zoom would be fine too.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, that original dub was absolutely horrid just like the Berserk dub. I just hope they get a completely different cast but not in the realm of AICO or some sh*t.
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well... I hope the Home Video release comes with both the new Netflix Dub and the ADV Dub.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
So many shows have been re-dubbed. In fact, Kyle Hebert has been a part of re-dubs with completely separate casts. Yet for some reason, this is the one they freak out over. Rolling Eyes It's just my two cents, but I'm of the opinion that Spike Spencer was a poor casting decision for Shinji in the first place.

What I've learned from this is that Canadian voice actors should be more petty on social media. When they get replaced by cheaper non-union U.S. actors, they usually don't start feeling entitled to an ADR role they did 20 years ago. This is almost as sad as when JDF started trying to pity himself a role in the Power Rangers movie. Except, at least these voice actors have done some other notable things ...

This re-dub is probably too far along for a small petition to gain traction. It would be like me trying to stop NYAV's Gundam SEED dub. It's probably a better decision to petition the original dub staying in print somehow.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the only one that I would be interested in bringing back is Allison Keith, as I think she really suited the role. There are a million men out there, and even some woman, who could voice Shinji just as good as Spike and despite what Tiffany says about her being Asuka, her performance was just her being a bitchy teenage girl, i highly doubt many actresses will struggle to pull that off.

This isn't like Cowboy Bebop or Code Geass, where it was a legendary cast that you can't replace.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Generally ADV dubs were crap.. but comparing that now to the current modern dub trend.. and even ADV starts to look good.

I'll pass on the redub.. And I'll agree the ADV dub isn't all that great, but this is one of the few titles I actually prefer the dub over the sub. Asuka's JP VA is just bad.. no seriously really bad.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
If only voice actors werent greedy for money than this would seem like they actually cared, but it just seems like a last ditch effort for them to rake in money from netflix.

Dont let greed derail our purpose.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, I get why people want most of the cast back as they feel they portray the characters as they should be, no one else comes close.

On the other hand, it also steals the chance for new VAs to do their own takes of the characters and see if they can hold up.

I truly respect the VAs for the support of the original dub, but it would be also nice to give a new take on the story with voices of the current generation.

And given that the director is said to be a woman, that means that it's either Carrie Keranen or better yet, Wendee Lee. Either of them could mean that the redub will be handled nicely.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Asuka's JP VA is just bad.. no seriously really bad.

Surely you jest, good sir. Yuko Miyamura is a treasure, capturing both Asuka’s exuberant braggadocio as well as her increasing self-loathing, during her downward spiral.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I've never felt that a dub actor being 'iconic' to a role is justification to keep them around. I disliked how the dub for the Digimon Adventure Tri kept most of the Saban cast, although given they replaced Butterfly with the Digirap I take it they didn't care about fans of the original to begin with. Conversely, I liked how Viz recast Sailor Moon and didn't feel obligated to bring back the DIC voice-actors for the sake of nostalgia.

I don't see a redub as a big deal. Netflix certainly has the money to do it, and to be honest I never found the dub of Evangelion to be that great. It was a 90s dub, after all, which meant questionable acting and casting choices along with unnecessary ad-libbing. Shinji sounded a lot more whiny and annoying in the dub compared to the original, for example. Maybe the voice-actors have improved and a redub with them would result in better acting and a tighter script, but given Netflix is aiming this at their general audience, an updated dub was needed regardless of the chosen actors. The original dub still exists for those that want it, at the end of the day.

-Stuart Smith
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
What even is the point of a redub if you're just going to use the same exact cast and make it exactly the same as the old dub? I have a lot of nostalgic enjoyment of the original Eva dub and I respect the efforts they did to make Eva a success in the West, but in all honesty, this attempt to divide fans and antagonize the new voice cast with this petition sounds very childish to me.
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
While I don't care for this series too much, I still think it's good to give the redub cast a chance, as this makes more jobs for whomever is working on it.

Takes me back to the Kickstarters I've supported and how it helped make jobs for people.

Now I need to mix and match with the Canadian and American dubs of Sailor Moon, just for fun.

One can think of this redub as a new spin on a meal that you really like. Just different seasoning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7