• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 Protagonist Joker to Join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighting Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
So much hype!!

Super excited to see a Persona character in Smash. I kinda had a feeling it would happened, but it did.

*waits patiently for either Klonoa or Ragna the Bloodedge*

Last edited by Heishi on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
We smash in a society.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
I was waiting in line for my preorder when this was announced. The hype was real. Holy crap, I definitely never saw this coming.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's awesome, nobody could have guess ! I've been playing since midnight release in my country and so far it's definitely my favorite 2018 game, Joker can only make it even better.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
So much hype!!

Super excited to a Persona character in Smash. I kinda had a feeling it would happened, but it did.

*waits patiently for either Klonoa or Ragna the Bloodedge*

Well, at least Klonoa appeared in Namco x Capcom, a game that features Ryu, who of course is in Smash. And I think Ragna connects to them somehow (have Persona 4 characters crossed over with Persona 5 ones by any chance?).

You know, compromises.

Last edited by Gemnist on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Wow, that's awesome, nobody could have guess !

Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
Wait, I just realized.

Whenever the announcer says “The winner is Mii” - IT WILL FINALLY ACTUALLY BR TRUE!!!!

(Both Joker and the announcer are voiced by Xander Mobus).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Leaf it to Nintendo to make a DLC announcement the one that everyone goes nuclear over
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
My jaw actually dropped when the trailer showed up in my subscription feed. I never thought any Atlus character would be a fighter in Smash.
Gemnist wrote:
have Persona 4 characters crossed over with Persona 5 ones by any chance?

PQ2 just came out in Japan last week, so yes.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Whoa, I don’t even play Persona, but this news was quite surprising and pretty cool. Since it’s been confirmed that Nintendo will be picking the next 5 DLC characters as opposed to Sakurai, having Joker as the first selection makes me wonder what else do they have in mind for the next 4?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
have Persona 4 characters crossed over with Persona 5 ones by any chance?

PQ2 just came out in Japan last week, so yes.

Okay great! So Ragna crossed over with Persona 4 characters, who have crossed over with Persona 5 characters, who are now in Smash. The universes are aware!
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I do find it a bit strange since Persona 5 was never on any Nintendo system. I guess some of the Megaten games have been all over 3DS though. But damn, now I definitely HAVE to get the DLC character pack!
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Despite never playing any of the Persona games so far (though Persona 5 is a game I would like to try out give it's story) I was both shocked and excited (so much so that I annoy my sister who was sleeping next door) the moment I saw the Smash logo on the letter seal. For a moment I thought that trailer with this Joker character was related to that dancing spin off game Persona has (and before that I was wondering whether they were talking about a certain Batman character of the same name when the name Joker was mention, but then when I think about if it that were the case I would have saw the DC logo).

DigitalScratch wrote:
I was waiting in line for my preorder when this was announced. The hype was real. Holy crap, I definitely never saw this coming.

Did everyone who was waiting in line jump/cheer for joy or something when the news drop? I can imagine the energy must had been exciting.

Yune Amagiri wrote:
Wow, that's awesome, nobody could have guess !

Actually I would say there were some who did foresee Joker was going to be Smash. The members of a discord server I am apart of mention they predicted Joker was going to in Smash and was excited when it came true.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Leaf it to Nintendo to make a DLC announcement the one that everyone goes nuclear over

Uh-huh! Anime smile People on the discord server I am apart of as well as on chat during a live stream hosted by one of the people I follow on youtube/twitch were for the most part talking about this announcement all the way to the end of the gaming awards. I can understand as for me that was the most exciting news that came out of this event. So much so in fact that I felt it perked me up after hours of watching/listening to the gaming awards.

DRWii wrote:
I never thought any Atlus character would be a fighter in Smash.

Given Smash track record up until now the fact there is an Atlus character that is going to be in Smash, while surprising, is also not that ground breaking either. Ever since Brawl it's been made clear that any character (so as long the series they are from started off as a video game) can get in Smash.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
it’s been confirmed that Nintendo will be picking the next 5 DLC characters as opposed to Sakurai

Really? That is the first I am learning of this, and up until now I thought the choices was going to be by the team behind Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Interesting!

Well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Toonami4Eva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Please, for the love of the gaming gods, put Sora from Kingdom Hearts in the game. I will literally get a Switch just for that one character Anime hyper
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote
This has been like the world peace of gaming news; everyone has came to agree this is awesome and a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2