• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hells

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Great shelves! I really like Vash standing proud next to the Trigun volumes. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Great shelves! I really like Vash standing proud next to the Trigun volumes. Very Happy

Thanks! Sucks that I'm going to have to put him elsewhere soon with more manga volumes coming in.

Last edited by Rhys2753 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I think Hells does have once-in-a-while rewatch value, but only if I have snacks to last me through it. Fun as it is, it still feels much longer than it actually is due to all its condensed plot elements within its two-hour running time. Sure am interested if someone licensed the manga so I can check out the fuller story.
Also, I am intrigued to find out if the dub crew that worked on this will work on future projects for Discotek, for they did a truly remarkable job with this!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Also, I am intrigued to find out if the dub crew that worked on this will work on future projects for Discotek, for they did a truly remarkable job with this!

Sound Cadence, the studio that did the dub for Hells, did also do the dub for B't X that was on the DVD boxset from Anime Midstream half a year ago. It's also an extremely good dub, though it utilizes a lot more well-known voice actors than Hells' overall younger or up-&-coming cast; there are some actors that appear in both dubs, though, including some Team FourStar cameos.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 am Reply with quote
I saw "Destinyland" but in my head I kept hearing it as "Disneyland." I would fight tooth and claw, too, to get out of Disneyland. Crawl over dead bodies? Sure! Anything in a mascot costume.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
Way to go Team FourStar! I'm glad their official dub came out good!

Is there anyway to rent Hells? It seems like Discotek releases are never available for streaming anywhere.

Ditto for Maiden Japan releases. I'd love to give Hataraki Man a shot without buying the whole series. Will you review it for an upcoming column?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
It seems like Discotek releases are never available for streaming anywhere.

They sometimes stream on Crunchyroll:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/publisher/discotek

I get the impression this usually happens after they've been out for a while, and all the "I've been waiting for this" sales have occurred.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Is there anyway to rent Hells? It seems like Discotek releases are never available for streaming anywhere.

Along with Crunchyroll; AsianCrush, Midnight Pulp, and Tubi also stream some Discotek titles. Hells could show up on one of them later one.

https://www.asiancrush.com/browse/anime/
https://www.midnightpulp.com/browse/anime/
https://tubitv.com/category/anime/
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I think Hells does have once-in-a-while rewatch value, but only if I have snacks to last me through it. Fun as it is, it still feels much longer than it actually is due to all its condensed plot elements within its two-hour running time. Sure am interested if someone licensed the manga so I can check out the fuller story.

I saw this film a few years ago. There was a link to it in an old article on ANN.

I didn't care very much for it. It had some plot elements in common with juvenile delinquent movies (Japan seems to make more of those than we do in the West!) and it was just... weird but without a story that made me want to keep watching it or care to own it.

Definitely a pass on my list.
Discotek is STILL getting a ton of my money between the giant robot shows, Kimagure Orange Road, and (eventually) Cyborg 009 (2001).
I'm still amazed someone finally relicensed KOR. It's one of the better 1980s comedies out there. It was a shame AnimEigo didn't relicense it, but, oh well...

I may not like all their releases but sheesh they always have something I'm interested in.
They have one of the best libraries for mech and classic anime now in licensing.

I just hope that all of us who SAY we want to support them actually DO IT by BUYING the anime they license!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1