• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Berserk 2016 Anime Director Says Industry Has Shortage of Animation Directors

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
So basically the reason that Berserk 2016-17 was such a multiple tier car crash of bad animation and direction was that he didn't have enough animation directors to help him?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The anime industry is imploding and fast. If there is an animation director shortage then there's only one reason why and it's low pay.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The anime industry is imploding and fast.
A lack of animation directors is a problem, but not some massive issue, the industry is not imploding, that's just paranoia.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Griffith did everthing wrong...

Shin Itagaki: Hold my sake...
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
So basically the reason that Berserk 2016-17 was such a multiple tier car crash of bad animation and direction was that he didn't have enough animation directors to help him?

There's a decent article on this site as to why Berserk 2016 fell apart:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

In its most simplified form, it stems from a combination of the director being used to making rapid gag comedies, not action mood-pieces, and that neither he or his staff really understood the skills necessary to properly translate the show into cg on a tv schedule.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Most likely this is about Ulyses than Berserk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This guy directed the first devil may cry anime which was alright so I always assumed he wasnt that bad of a director. Guess berserk just got the skeleton crew of its production season.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
They build all these bottlenecks into the production line & then wonder why it causes problems.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if every light novel about some douchebag getting transported to a magical work wasn't getting an adaptation there'd be less productions and more money to go around.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely the sign of over producing anime despite allocating some resources to train more animators. I hope that anime industry stop being cheapskates when it comes to their finances. Start charging more from production committee and stop shortchanging their labor force for once.

I've seen foreign animators posting their key animations of xyz anime in Twitter, but I'm not too impressed with them yet because none of them seem to made to AD position. They can show off their purty character or FX animations, but someone has to fix that anime girl's face on screen if you know what I mean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1