• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mandarake Offers Free Appraisal Service for Elderly Otaku's Stash

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me, Mandarake has amazing customer service. They once sent me someone else's order my mistake and told me to just keep it and sent me a refund for my order plus shipping. Other people I know received broken figures and a replacement sent at their expense no questions asked. Them doing free appraisals like this is just another entry on the list of things that make them so great!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Mandarake is a great company. I'm waiting for my tax refund to come in, then I'm planning on getting the rest of the KRW gadgets that I need, and some Danganronpa manga.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I would necessarily call this 'free'. The purpose of doing this is so that the owner will opt for the easy route and sell these items to Mandarake after being informed of how much they're worth. Sure, the owner could individually sell them on Japanese auction sites for the amount that Mandarake feels they're worth, but many people would rather sell the whole lot instead of individually listing (and shipping) them out when the item sells.

I've purchased many items over the years at Mandarake, both in person and online. I don't think I've ever had a bad transaction with them - They are sometimes slow during Big Web Auctions, but they package items very well. I've always been very happy with the cels and sketches that I've bought from them.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
I legit need this service. Been collecting for over a decade and have amassed a pretty substantial collection.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:19 am Reply with quote
I wish their Torrance and Santa Monica stores were still open... those were some awesome shops. Still their online shop is stlll great, and I've got Book Off available for pruning the collection when too busy to Ebay.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I don't know if I would necessarily call this 'free'. The purpose of doing this is so that the owner will opt for the easy route and sell these items to Mandarake after being informed of how much they're worth. Sure, the owner could individually sell them on Japanese auction sites for the amount that Mandarake feels they're worth, but many people would rather sell the whole lot instead of individually listing (and shipping) them out when the item sells.

Not quite. It's more for owners who are elderly and this provides a way for their estates to at least get proper value for obscure subcultural collectable when the owners pass away. Like you don't want your expensive can badge collection to be sold at a estate sale for pennies each.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1