• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: High Score Manga Artist Chinami Tsuyama Says Cigarettes Now Banned in Ribon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Ribon target a relatively young audience? I understand why they'd want to avoid accidentally making young girls think that smoking is cool.
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
And even today Sanji in One Piece smokes in an anime that is broadcast at 9:30 am and Yami in Black Clover at 6:00 p.m.

As long as there is no governmental law that prohibits smoking, it goes from each institute to decide what they will or will not censor.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I find this interesting, along with the moment I realised Chizuru Hoshino either has a vape or one of those nicotine things in Wataten. Its a good thing going like this, but yeah kinda seems interesting that publishers in Japan are finally jumping on it
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
And even today Sanji in One Piece smokes in an anime that is broadcast at 9:30 am and Yami in Black Clover at 6:00 p.m.

As long as there is no governmental law that prohibits smoking, it goes from each institute to decide what they will or will not censor.

Gokudera smoked in Reborn!, but the anime took that out all together as for Jotaro they still had him smoking, but censored him on TV so I'm guessing it has to do with the age of the characters and the decision of the TV studios too.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
as for Jotaro they still had him smoking, but censored him on TV so I'm guessing it has to do with the age of the characters and the decision of the TV studios too.

I'm honestly amazed they showed as much as they did with that. Normally depictions of underage characters smoking on Japanese TV are absolutely forbidden; everything else based on a manga featuring that gets the cigarette replaced with something, with the occasional exception such as Strawberry Marshmallow where they just make the character older.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
Not necessarily, In Sakamato Desu ga, teenagers were shown smoking normally, I believe it was not censored just because of the schedule and channel (TBS)..

I think different from what happens in the west, we can not standardize Japanese censorship.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:
as for Jotaro they still had him smoking, but censored him on TV so I'm guessing it has to do with the age of the characters and the decision of the TV studios too.

I'm honestly amazed they showed as much as they did with that. Normally depictions of underage characters smoking on Japanese TV are absolutely forbidden; everything else based on a manga featuring that gets the cigarette replaced with something, with the occasional exception such as Strawberry Marshmallow where they just make the character older.

FYI Tsuredure Children had it, with Kaji Ryouko smoking in ep 1 at 6:14
https://www.crunchyroll.com/tsuredure-children/episode-1-confession-741313
and so does Sakamoto Desu ga with Fukase-san and Atsushi in ep 11 at 19:44
https://www.crunchyroll.com/haven't-you-heard-im-sakamoto/episode-11-i-dont-need-warmth-class-1-2-memories-702707

of course, it's still more common to see above age characters smoke like in Gintama or Naruto, but at least those are still present for the Shounen demographic, as is drinking.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:12 am Reply with quote
In the West the cigarette was practically banned from all programs or sources of entertainment available to children. In the USA it is practically only allowed in films with pg-16 years. So I really think it's amazing that in Japan it's still common today to see people smoking freely.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote
How will I know who are the cool characters now?! Anime hyper (I'm kidding)

But I wonder if they might switch smoking for lollipops like most rival high school girls in manga do now..... I don't mind but what about toothpicks? Will they switch it with that?
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Ribon's a magazine for kids and teens (8-14), so it's not surprising. While I think it's more important to teach kids the line between fantasy and reality rather than just not showing stuff in media, not sure how well that lesson would stick with an 8 year old anyway, so it's probably for the best.

That said, there's probably worse things in Ribon lol.
Lordfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
In the West the cigarette was practically banned from all programs or sources of entertainment available to children. In the USA it is practically only allowed in films with pg-16 years. So I really think it's amazing that in Japan it's still common today to see people smoking freely.

I heard there's also a possible conflict of interest, because in Japan, the tobacco industry is partially owned by the government by law.
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Normally I oppose censorship of any kind, especially in manga since it infringes on freedom of expression and stifles artistic creativity, but I believe that the Ribon staff made the right call to ban cigarettes and tobacco from their manga.

Cigarettes cause cancer and showing them in any form of media is known to attract people, especially children since Ribon is a manga for young people.

Here in the US, tobacco advertisements did the same thing on our kids. Remember Camel cigarettes' Joe Camel? Kids thought he was cool, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1