• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Price of Smiles (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote

(The) Price of Smiles (TV)

Genres: drama, fantasy, military, slice of life

Plot Summary: On a planet far from Earth, there is a kingdom full of smiling faces. Princess Yūki is 12 years old, and about to enter a sensitive age in a person's life. Everyday, she cries, laughs, and sometimes, her heart throbs with excitement. All the while, she lives merrily in the royal palace. Filling her days with color are her loyal vassals: her tutor Reira, Izana who assists in political affairs, the leader of the chivalry Harold and then, there is her childhood friend and aide Joshua. Stella is 17 years old and a capable, reserved soldier. However, she is always smiling for smiling is essential to living.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, that was some BS. I may have not written here, but I was watching the show, and although others may not have the same problem I did, I am not happy with this being the ending. That is because it feels like we only just hit the mid point, and then skipped right to the end. Perhaps I was under the wrong idea, but I thought that this show was supposed to be about seeing how two people from different sides would work together to bring peace, and we really were ramping up to that with our two female characters only finally meeting in the end, but then just cut and everything is fixed.

I spent the whole show waiting for these two characters to interact, and there is like almost nothing at the end. They have like one conversation, look up at the sky, and say they may be hated, and one be court-martialled for what she did, and then skip where everything is dandy. Those should have been the titular price of smiles, but instead we just got all the deaths of the soldiers. This in addition that the show never managed to make feel sympathy for the empire. Through the whole show they really just felt like an unlikable group that attack stole from the kingdom. Had no feelings at all for kingdom soldiers we spent half the runtime following, they really just felt like hypocrites that were glorified killers and thieves, and no actual empathy. They were starting to maybe change in places, but it was princess Yuki who had actually empathy for the other side, while Stella and her group never went beyond just assuming the worst of the others.

This says nothing of the emperor who came across as some evil figure we only got glimpses of and had a plan, but the end just had him fold and sign a peace treaty. Like was not a maniac that was really responsible for all those deaths and had no empathy for the people. What was even the point of his character being how it was if it meant nothing in the end. What about the woman military leader who seemed to throw away any idea of peace in favour of destroying her enemy? Would she really go quietly after that? Is there no repercussions for the atrocities that the empire were responsible for? Did all those people who just saw the other side of the war as faceless enemies, just decide to get along, that the blonde girl who was such was just being friendly at the end to Yuki? It was what I was waiting for in the entire show, to see how Yuki could put her beliefs into action to make everyone happy, and instead we just get Yuki pressing a button.

It is not good enough, and if that sort of thing would be off the tables because it thinks that it needed mechs to be interesting, then they should not have set it up in the first place. I don't want to be entirely negative on the show, it had plenty of parts that were okay, things I thought were working. My only problem was that they were taking their sweet time bringing the two stars together as to start a reconciliation of both sides, which had me thinking that this must be a 24 episode length show, but in the end was not. The way this ended feels like they had an idea to do it at a longer length, but then found out they could not, and were too far ahead to change how it would go in the 12 episodes. It is disappointing because it was actually mostly fine, even working twists like having a main character die so early, but feels like it lacked commitment to show everything being put back together in what should be a more difficult conflict that giant robots.

I give Price of Smiles a rating of So-so (5/10), that it could have been better but failed in landing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1