• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kether Donohue and Annice Moriarty are not the same person,

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hello
person#70005 Kether Donohue is not Annice Moriarty.
I know they have similar voices, but where exactly did this come form that Kether Donohue was Annice Moriarty.
In May of 2012, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Annice Moriarty was one of the guests there.
I remember chatting with her about voice acting, as that is a long time dream of mine, and I asked her if she was Kether Donohue, and i got a quick "no, people always ask me that."
I then went to ask her if she was in any of the shows listed here, and she did say she was in Ah My Goddess, Pokemon, and Kappa Mikey to name a few.
So we are indeed referring to the same Annice Moriarty here, she's just not Kether Donohue. Is there a way I can separate Annice Moriarty from the ##70005 at all?
thanks.

PS, Annice Moriarty's birth date is August 22, 1976, which is what lead to people previously listing Kether's birthday as August 22, though Moriarty was born in Lusaka.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kether Donohue's official website included "Moriarty"-credited roles in her animation demos. Here's one post pointing that out. I'm absolutely certain I myself saw the things Shiroi Hane mentions there. While her official website is no longer active, you can still hear her animation reel on an archived version. Mirabelle Haywood from Doremi is clearly one of the characters featured there.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Could this be a union vs. non-union pseudonym issue?
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
#892134 wrote:
Hello
person#70005 Kether Donohue is not Annice Moriarty.
I know they have similar voices, but where exactly did this come form that Kether Donohue was Annice Moriarty.
In May of 2012, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Annice Moriarty was one of the guests there.
I remember chatting with her about voice acting, as that is a long time dream of mine, and I asked her if she was Kether Donohue, and i got a quick "no, people always ask me that."
I then went to ask her if she was in any of the shows listed here, and she did say she was in Ah My Goddess, Pokemon, and Kappa Mikey to name a few.
So we are indeed referring to the same Annice Moriarty here, she's just not Kether Donohue. Is there a way I can separate Annice Moriarty from the ##70005 at all?
thanks.

PS, Annice Moriarty's birth date is August 22, 1976, which is what lead to people previously listing Kether's birthday as August 22, though Moriarty was born in Lusaka.

I am sure this theory is correct outright.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi #892134, or should I address you by "Mr. Blake Marks" as in your email,

I see that you've added quite a lot of background information for Annice Moriarty; however, they were all of your own words. Verifiable info provided by third parties would be much appreciated.

I tried looking for information regarding Annice Moriarty as a guest of honor in Keycon 29 (held in May 2012) but I could not find any. Neither could I find anything relating Annice Moriarty and Keycon. There should be some sort of digital footprints online if she had been there, even if the event was held almost seven years ago.

Again, info from third parties (preferred online) would be much appreciated.

Southkaio wrote:
I am sure this theory is correct outright.

Would you like to elaborate? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
There is no proof that Kether Donohue is Annice Moriarty. They do have similar enough voices, but no matter what I do I can't find anything that says kether donohue is Annice Moriarty.
Also if she did use that name, given she is a New Yorker, the African-American community would have her head for appropriating an African name. Annice (which is pronounced Ann-ih-say) is we believe of Malagasy origin, as Moriarty's mother was from Madagascar, and she herself was born in Zambia and raised in Mombasa and Entebbe before moving to the U.S.
So if Kether Donohue (a Caucasian woman) were to use Annice Moriarty, she would get backlash because of the culturally sensitive times we live in, because Annice is African, not European. At the least she'd get accused of cultural appropriation.
I know it's frowned upon to bring lineage into this but remember, New York city.
We have to think about what would happen to Donohue if she indeed used that name.
I e-mailed Kether and hope she will post here and clear this up.
Did she or did she not use that name.
If she did then fine, let's keep Annice Moriarty and Kether Donohue on the same page.
In the mean time however we should make Annice Moriarty her own page because of the lack of sources that Kether Donohue used that name.
I did come accross a google book result that listed Donohue as voicing Ethel in Kappa Mikey.
I don't know what to do about the rolls that are in doubt, as it has happened before where a voice actor has been believed to have used a pseudonym only for it to turn out they are two different people.
Christopher Kromer vs. Matthew Charles anybody?
I'm just saying either explain where (appart from IMDB) you get that Moriarty is Kether Donohue from or else fix it. Them being mistaken for eachother isn't enough, I want to see something that says beyond a shadow of a doubt that Annice Moriarty is Kether Donohue, or at least that Kether used that name.
Then explain the woman I met at keycon. She wasn't an honored guest, we sat together and watched the dub of the 14th Pokemon movie together.
thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Another example of pseudonyms that was confused is Caren Lyn Tackett.
Remember that? Caren Lyn Tackett vs. Allyson Johnson (Agatha in Pokemon) vs. Kathleen Delaney (Rouge from Sonic 4kids era)? Remember that?
Everybody thought that all those rolls were done by Caren Lyn Tackett?
ANN sure as hell did, IMDB sure as hell did, Wikipedia sure as hell did.
and I bet money on the fact that if I had come around and said Caren Lyn Tackett did not voice Agatha in Pokemon or Rouge in sonic in 2011 or 2012, you guys would be scheptical.
I just hope you don't forget that.
That's why you guys better have non-IMDB proof that Kether Donohue used the name Annice Moriarty. Or risk anotehr Caren Lyn Tackett, which based on the woman I met at keycon, is bound to happen soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
While it is slightly off topic, I did want to share this with you guys about when I met Annice Moriarty.
it was quite the eye opener in just how much work goes into doing a voice in an anime, and how much it takes getting used to.
Especially given that English was not her first language. While it is true she had mastered it quite well by 2000 when she first auditioned for an anime roll, she had a real hard time with lip flaps.
One of the tricks she did was she paid attention to the parts of a word and how somebody''s lips moved when she said them, and she actually said a sentence into a video camera, and played it back over and ove ragain until she matched the lip flaps.
I, being 100% blind had asked her how I would do such a thing, and sha had told me that one can actually use their ears, which is actually partly what she did too. She said that one could pay attention to the rhythm of the words being said, as well as the time in which they are said. As long as you know that, you can at least start to match lip flaps, even if you are blind. It takes time, and dedication to learn, but she told me that she has faith that I can do it.
Spending those few hours with Ann was some of the best 4 hours of my life. Getting to hang around somebody who, just like me, had dreams of being a voice actor, and who (unlike me so far0 succeeded opened my eyes that I am going to have to work towards my dream.
That is why even though it was almost a decade ago now (7 years), I will remember the day I not only met Annice Moriarty, but I hung around with her, and we watched the Pokemon movie Victini and Reshiram together. Ann was not in that movie, but we watched it together as it has just been released on DVD recently.
It was during this time that I found out that she, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is not Kether Donohue. Her real name is Annice Moriarty, and she was born un Africa, and moved to New York as a 12 year old, who was scared of moving to America, and struggled to fit in.
She went from that scared little girl who just couldn't fit in into a voice actor, and that is why I think it is an insult both to her and to Kether Donohue that people (including Anime News Network) still believe that Annice Moriarty and Kether Donohue are the same person.
I hav enever met Kether Donohue, but I have met Annice Moriarty, and got to hang around with her for several hours, and watched a movie with her, and I enjoyed every second of it.
And yes, I got to hold her hand. She helped me get around the hotel a bit, as that's where Keycon was held that year.
I wish the best to Ann, and hope that she succeeds even more. I will keep trying, just like she said, and maybe some day, I'll do voice acting for anime too.
Blake
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Kether Donohue's official website included "Moriarty"-credited roles in her animation demos. Here's one post pointing that out. I'm absolutely certain I myself saw the things Shiroi Hane mentions there. While her official website is no longer active, you can still hear her animation reel on an archived version. Mirabelle Haywood from Doremi is clearly one of the characters featured there.

Wait, Kether Donohue was only 19 when she used an voice acting alias?! I have never heard a single child/teen voice actor using the one. Looks like #892134 is right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Wait, Kether Donohue was only 19 when she used an voice acting alias?! I have never heard a single child/teen voice actor using the one. Looks like #892134 is right.

Yes because a 19 year old is a child, and an obviously white woman would use an African given name as a pseudonym and not get canceled to oblivion for using a Malagasy given name as a pseudonym.
Also 4kids is always right, they never made mistakes or mix-ups have they? And because it is impossible for two people to have similar voices especially two people born on two different continents but spent the better parts of their childhood in the same geographic areas.
Even ignoring Kether's race and why her using the given name Annice would cause idiots to call her cultural appropriator, how do we know that Kether Donohue did all the Annice Moriarty roles? The anime community on the internet has made mistakes before, as have 4kids, a company that Ann has worked for and I believe Kether may or may not have.
Also why would somebody go to a convention as a regular (not honored) guest to mingle in with the crowd if she was visibly recognizable as Kether Donohue is. This was in 2012 when I met Annice Moriarty, after Kether's apearences in some live action roles. So surely if Ann was Kether then at least one person would have seen me sitting there watching the Victini Pokemon movie while holding her hand and say OMG, that guy is holding hands with Kether Donohue!
Nobody mentioned Twilight, Boy Wonder or any of the other films Kether was in.
Also keeping in mind, Ann spent her teenage years growing up in the U.S. so she does not have a Ugandan accent anymore.
I wish I could get the youtuber Ponder Sprocket into looking at this situation but I have no idea how to contact her. Ponder Sprocket is good at evidence analysis and I'll bet you that she'd say that there is no evidence that Kether Donohue used the pseudonym Annice (Malagasy given name) Moriarty.
I could see her using Kether Fernandez, as she may have a mother with the surname Fernandez or something like that.
You have to realize that if you're going to go claiming that somebody used a pseudonym you need more evidence than "well this says Annice Moriarty and yet it appeared on a Kether Donohue real and there's no way that 4kids messed up." 4kids is known to get things wrong, and it is possible that people with similar voices can get mixed up. These companies are made of humans, and unless you are going to accuse Kether Donohue of darkening her skin and entering keycon as a normal non-distinguished guest to blend in with the croud, and believe that she some how forgot to switch her voice, then what is ther eleft?
I couldn't find Ann on social media, and I can't exactly get in touch with Kether either to ask her if she used this Malagasy first name. I would not accuse her of cultural appropriation because I don't do that. However, she is in New York city, and over the past 10 or so years, racial tensions are higher and it is in the U.S. where terms such as "cultural appropriation" are big. Annice (pronounced ann-nee-kay" (like the words Ann knee kay) is a name from one of the languages of Northwest Madagascar, which is where Aya Moriarty, Annice's mother was born and raised.
You putting it on me to prove tha tAM is not a KD pseudonym is missing the whole point. You have no proof that KD used the pseudonym Annice Moriarty save for speculation based on a demo real and their similar voices.
I think it is a good idea to separate the two ANN entries for Annice Moriarty and Kether Donohue until a more solid and readily available source surfaces that states that Annice Moriarty was Kether Donohue. It still wouldn't explain why the voice actor for Candice and Lila from Pokemon decided to show up at keycon as a non-distinguished guest.
As for why she would show up there like that and not as a featured guest. Maybe she wanted to enjoy the convention from a guest POV without all the security goons since Annice Moriarty (the actual voice actor from Pokemon and Dinosaur King) is a voice actor and has never been in live action stuff in her entire life save for being part of an African choir in her youth. It's not uncommon for people who's faces are not really known to choose to go to an event as a regular guest so they can blend in with the rest of us and enjoy the events in the same way we do.
Think about that while you're telling me that I'm dead wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1