• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, VRV Re-add 1st Seasons of My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Overlord Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
Wonder if they worked something out with Funimation or went straight through the Japanese companies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Wonder if they worked something out with Funimation or went straight through the Japanese companies.

My guess would be that they worked out a deal with Funimation. I seem to recall that Funimation had a lot of control over the streaming rights to MHA season 1 back when it first came out. Plus, it could undercut how much anyone is willing to pay for streaming licenses if the production committee can later go around them and license to whomever they want.

We've also seen a few shows from this season end up with both CR and Funi despite being far enough after the end of the partnership that I don't think they are jointly licensed. For those newer ones, I think we might have a situation like Pop Team Epic where streaming rights weren't exclusive.

Overall, though, I'm taking these announcements as a positive thing. The biggest question for me following the end of CR/Funi was what would happen for dubs of sequel seasons of shows that were licensed during the partnership. Both companies would have an interest in getting a sequel, but if CR licensed something, like say, season 2 of Teasing Master Takagi, keeping the dub cast intact would like mean having to contract the dub out to Funimation. From a business sense, there is no reason for either side not to do that, but sometimes egos get in the way. Something like this at least has me hopeful that the two companies will still collaborate where it is mutually beneficial.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Glad to know that despite the messy divorce, Funi is still willing to share the kids with Crunchy.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
CatSword wrote:

My guess would be that they worked out a deal with Funimation. I seem to recall that Funimation had a lot of control over the streaming rights to MHA season 1 back when it first came out. Plus, it could undercut how much anyone is willing to pay for streaming licenses if the production committee can later go around them and license to whomever they want.

We've also seen a few shows from this season end up with both CR and Funi despite being far enough after the end of the partnership that I don't think they are jointly licensed. For those newer ones, I think we might have a situation like Pop Team Epic where streaming rights weren't exclusive.

Overall, though, I'm taking these announcements as a positive thing. The biggest question for me following the end of CR/Funi was what would happen for dubs of sequel seasons of shows that were licensed during the partnership. Both companies would have an interest in getting a sequel, but if CR licensed something, like say, season 2 of Teasing Master Takagi, keeping the dub cast intact would like mean having to contract the dub out to Funimation. From a business sense, there is no reason for either side not to do that, but sometimes egos get in the way. Something like this at least has me hopeful that the two companies will still collaborate where it is mutually beneficial.

It is very likely that Crunchyroll acquired the newer ones from Funimation.

For example, Bilibili is the international sales of "Million Arthur".
http://www.crunchyroll.com/publisher/bilibiliinc

Since Bilibili have deal with Funimation, it is very unlikely that Bilibili would sell "Million Arthur" to Crunchyroll directly.

Update: Crunchyroll and Funimation are streaming the same dubbed version of "YU-NO".

Since "YU-NO" English dubbing is handled by Funimation's team, so it is very likely that Crunchyroll acquired the title from Funimation.
http://twitter.com/DizzastaVO/status/1118333071676379136
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
I hope Crunchyroll can stream the Magus Bride dub since they were supposed to stream the dub at one point but it got caught up in the FuniRoll mess.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Johnamine wrote:

Since Bilibili have deal with Funimation, it is very unlikely that Bilibili would sell "Million Arthur" to Crunchyroll directly.

Update: Crunchyroll and Funimation are streaming the same dubbed version of "YU-NO".

Since "YU-NO" English dubbing is handled by Funimation's team, so it is very likely that Crunchyroll acquired the title from Funimation.

Crunchyroll tells you who they license a show from on the front page under "Publisher" at the bottom right. For YU-NO, they got it directly from GENCO, one of two of the producers (the other being MAGES). https://www.crunchyroll.com/yu-no-a-girl-who-chants-love-at-the-bound-of-this-world

For My Hero Academia, they got it from Funimation, etc

Anyways, I mentioned this before, but for YU-NO, I'm waiting until the uncensored blurays are out before watching since it's a more serious fanservice show based off a eroge VN and had a hentai OVA adaptation from what I understand
Johnamine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Johnamine wrote:

Crunchyroll tells you who they license a show from on the front page under "Publisher" at the bottom right. For YU-NO, they got it directly from GENCO, one of two of the producers (the other being MAGES). https://www.crunchyroll.com/yu-no-a-girl-who-chants-love-at-the-bound-of-this-world

For My Hero Academia, they got it from Funimation, etc

Anyways, I mentioned this before, but for YU-NO, I'm waiting until the uncensored blurays are out before watching since it's a more serious fanservice show based off a eroge VN and had a hentai OVA adaptation from what I understand

For YU-NO, the English dub is done by Funimation's team (not by other company). How can Crunchyroll stream the English dub version without Funimation's approval?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
Johnamine wrote:
For YU-NO, the English dub is done by Funimation's team (not by other company). How can Crunchyroll stream the English dub version without Funimation's approval?

Because GENCO/MAGES gave permission. In one of the Answerman columns a while back, Justin explained that all contracts now give ultimate ownership of all assets of a title, including translations, subtitles and dubs a licensee produces back to the licensor. That's why when a license expires, the Japanese can still have access and hand it over to a different licensee who wants it without asking the original licensee who made the dub. Look at Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Even though Funimation produced the dub, they don't own it. It's now Aniplex's property. I mean you can also ask why Crunchyroll lists Funimation as the publisher for some titles (i.e. they sub-license from Funimation), while other titles with the Funimation produced dubs, the Japanese producer directly.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
Sheesh, streaming rights negotiations and durations (how long they will be there) is complicated. Sometimes a show will be on CR for a while then removed then re-added the re-removed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1