• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ace Attorney

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The issue about loss of interactivity regarding the Saiban anime is such an unusual complaint to me. But other than that yeah the animation is definitely something that can be a dealbreaker for some people. It's my hope if they ever (ever) adapt the 4th Saiban game they come correct with that.

Since the 4th game represented a major change for the series not just for the lore but also being the first (and only) game in the series that was specifically made for the DS in mind so with that came a shift in the visuals which helped it look better than the first set of games which originally were GBA games which is one of the reasons the visuals for those games looks off especially in the HD collections (not that the rerelease of the 4th game comes out looking too much better).
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I think we're familiar with how subpar the first season is, what with the site dropping its episodic reviews with how much they couldn't bear it. But I want to know more people's impressions of Season 2, which is supposedly an improvement in design and pacing.
penguinhighway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry. Was the entire point of this segment to bad mouth the obligatory video game adaptation? Is that what the cool critics do these days? I expect better standards from this website. That was amateur hour. Paul Jensen, you are a hack.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
penguinhighway wrote:
I'm sorry. Was the entire point of this segment to bad mouth the obligatory video game adaptation? Is that what the cool critics do these days? I expect better standards from this website. That was amateur hour. Paul Jensen, you are a hack.

Wow, you made an account just to say that?

Anyway
I'm glad they kept the two subtitle tracks. When CR announced they'd have that I was happy because the English names are such a part of the series' charm.
I think I only watched one episode of the anime, but I did like how they captured the sprites charms when character's had their breakdowns. Even if the animation was lousy, I feel the show displayed some love for the source material.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Phoenix works in a fictional legal system that's heavily biased against defendants in criminal cases...

... the plot has very little to do with anything resembling a properly structured legal system. Phoenix is constantly boxed in by the rules of the court, while his prosecutor opponents are generally free to do whatever they want in terms of calling shady witnesses or producing new evidence out of thin air.

I've never seen the series, but that sounds pretty much like the actual Japanese criminal court system to me. If there's anything unreal about the show, it's that the defense attorney gets to present a defense.

In an actual Japanese criminal trial, the prosecution presents its case, then the judge pronounces sentence. The End.

Japan doesn't have a Western system. It's based on samurai law, where the prosecutor was the judge. The system has been westernized since then, but obviously not all the way. That's pretty much been one of the barriers that's kept me from watching. The other one is that it's a game adaption, a genre (?) I've rarely found good.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
As silly as it sounds, the Japanese have a 99.9% conviction rate for a reason. Hint: it's not because they're fair to defense attorneys.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The issue about loss of interactivity regarding the Saiban anime is such an unusual complaint to me. But other than that yeah the animation is definitely something that can be a dealbreaker for some people. It's my hope if they ever (ever) adapt the 4th Saiban game they come correct with that. .

The series never struck me as one that needed exceptionally amazing animation. It's essentially Detective Conan. Talking, exposition, some funny faces here and there. Outside the movies you don't tune in for amazing sakuga fight scenes.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

The series never struck me as one that needed exceptionally amazing animation. It's essentially Detective Conan. Talking, exposition, some funny faces here and there. Outside the movies you don't tune in for amazing sakuga fight scenes.

It certainly doesn't need to be sakuga, but pretty much every shot is amazingly off-model.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I tend to be "that-guy" but I liked the series a lot. I've seen on many occasions people rebuke the first season and (apparently now) the second season. But I dunno, I kinda love the series and I was anxiously waiting for the second season. I wouldn't be quick to label myself "ultra-fanboy" cause well, I didn't really like the games. They were mostly negative experiences for me.

I suppose this may not be directly relevant to the topic at hand, or as a reply, but if there is a third season -- I will watch it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
El Hermano wrote:

It certainly doesn't need to be sakuga, but pretty much every shot is amazingly off-model.

Does anyone know if this was fixed for the home video release? I know it doesn't exactly happen for every single anime, but simulcasting has pretty much forced everyone to watch animation that's made (often in a rush) to make a TV airdate, instead of the later home video versions (which tended to be what we always got in the pre-simulcasting days), which can fix things like off-model shots. Unfortunately, this has resulted in people judging shows off of what's essentially unfinished (or at least unrefined) animation, yet no one considers this nowadays.

Just a thought, is all.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
So, is season 2 massively better than the first? I'd really like to give S2 a shot because I'm a sucker for some good ol' mystery but I had to drop season 1 because I just found it too silly ...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

True but at the same time you don't want your animated TV show to look like corners were cut and standards were lowered in the animation process either. And boy did the show have that problem bad.

donhumberto wrote:
So, is season 2 massively better than the first? I'd really like to give S2 a shot because I'm a sucker for some good ol' mystery but I had to drop season 1 because I just found it too silly ...

Yeah if you don't like the silly side of the Saiban anime you'd best jump off the train now cause the franchise doesn't get any less absurd.....especially if they adapted Turnabout Big Top (one of the most infamous cases in the series) as is.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Yeah if you don't like the silly side of the Saiban anime you'd best jump off the train now cause the franchise doesn't get any less absurd.....especially if they adapted Turnabout Big Top (one of the most infamous cases in the series) as is.

Season 1 already adapted Big Top.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Like the guy above me said, Turnabout Big Top already got adapted in Season 1, and by some miracle was greatly improved in all the right ways.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Season 1 already adapted Big Top.

I know the 2nd half of season 1 adapted it, I never watched it though.

immblueversion wrote:

Like the guy above me said, Turnabout Big Top already got adapted in Season 1, and by some miracle was greatly improved in all the right ways.

Well that's good to hear....not that I had a problem with it besides the circumstances behind the fate of Acro's brother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2