• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Detective Pikachu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a winner, if not I have a Masters final (4 hours long!) on Monday May 13th, I would have watch this on Day one, Oh well...

So glad Ryan actually brings the snarkiness out of Detective Pikachu instead of just making him the "PG-friendly furry deadpool"
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Good thing there are two sequels lined up, then!
Well, successor sequels. One is a spin off with Mewtwo from Detective Pikachu and one follows Red on his adventure. They've mentioned wanting to make their own cinematic universe. Pokemon would be a good franchise to do it, honestly.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Well, successor sequels. One is a spin off with Mewtwo from Detective Pikachu and one follows Red on his adventure. They've mentioned wanting to make their own cinematic universe. Pokemon would be a good franchise to do it, honestly.
I view the sequels as a bad thing. The movie hasn't been released the audience yet and Legendary wants to make two sequels haven't they learned from The defunct DCEU and the struck down Dark Universe not to mention the Amazing spiderman all of whom just made movies to set up for sequels instead of actually movies people wanted to see? I think Legendary should slow down and wait until they see the final numbers before they go off trying to build a cnimatic universe. They should look at what the MCU has been doing for a decade use that as blueprint on how to make a successful franchise
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
So... First ever good video game movie?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

No given the existence of Mortal Kombat

StarfighterPegasus wrote:

I view the sequels as a bad thing. The movie hasn't been released the audience yet and Legendary wants to make two sequels haven't they learned from The defunct DCEU and the struck down Dark Universe not to mention the Amazing spiderman all of whom just made movies to set up for sequels instead of actually movies people wanted to see?

People wanted to see Justice League though (it was just setup badly). They also wanted to see more Amazing Spider-Man but between them kind of getting carried away with certain things in the 2nd movie and Andrew Garfield supposedly being fired and a litany of other things that created problems that killed any hope for a third movie.

They should look at what the MCU has been doing for a decade use that as blueprint

You mean the same Cinematic Universe that started the trend of end/post credit scenes setting up sequels and other movies?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that the movie is getting some positive reviews, I think I'm going to the cinema this friday. I'm actually looking forward to see the spanish dubbed version, since Pikachu's voice actor also voices James from Team Rocket, and that's pretty funny in itself.
I just hope that the movie does alright at the box office to cover its budget and guarantee a sequel. It seems that most people arround the world have already seen Endgame, myself included, though I don't know if Pikachu can win at the box office, or at lest arrive at a good second place.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I am HYPE now! I'm already planning to see this with my friend, I can only imagine how many easter eggs I'd miss the first time through.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hnnnng. Two more days to go. I really hope this works out well.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
I just love seeing pokemon beyond the 151, so that alone made me want to see the movie, lol! I want to see more interpretations of pokemon in this film, and hearing about the interaction with Tim and Pikachu is icing on the cake for me. Can't wait to see it!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I view the sequels as a bad thing. The movie hasn't been released the audience yet and Legendary wants to make two sequels haven't they learned from The defunct DCEU and the struck down Dark Universe not to mention the Amazing spiderman all of whom just made movies to set up for sequels instead of actually movies people wanted to see? I think Legendary should slow down and wait until they see the final numbers before they go off trying to build a cnimatic universe. They should look at what the MCU has been doing for a decade use that as blueprint on how to make a successful franchise

Slow down? The movie's about to come out, how long do they have to wait? It's not like these sequels have entered production, they're just on the schedule. If this movie flops or something, they can easily modify it. And just because they're considering sequels doesn't necessarily mean this film goes nuts setting them up, you're kinda jumping to conclusions there.

Also, "defunct" DCEU, yeah Wonder Woman and Aquaman did incredible in the box office, and Shazam did pretty good. Not exactly a good example.
Dardre

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

So, first ever good video game movie then. Sorry, but Mortal Kombat was a terrible movie. It was just terrible in a way that was entertaining.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
It would have been more natural as Detective Meowth. At least he does talk all the time. And seems more like a natural reservoir for Deadpool-as-a-Pocket-Monster. I was never a Pokémon fan, but I do like Meowth.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
It would have been more natural as Detective Meowth. At least he does talk all the time. And seems more like a natural reservoir for Deadpool-as-a-Pocket-Monster. I was never a Pokémon fan, but I do like Meowth.

You aware that only the main character can understand the titular character right?

So no it wouldn’t have been more natural with Meowth.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
Just watched, this movie is amazing and extremely peculiar with its attention to detail (and I'm dead SERIOUS about that, to my surprise lol).

Don't even listen to most critics on RT, they just are not the public this movie is directed at, nor barely tried to enjoy the movie from most of the dozens and dozens of reviews I checked out, and especially, they didn't seem to even care at all about Pokemon per se (although I'm probably the only one expecting at least a chunk of them to be minimally familiar with such a money-machine behemoth).

Whether you are a new fan trying to get into the pokepoks thing, a casual fan or even an old timer for the franchise who played every single game, you will really appreciate the amount of heart they poured into this.

This movie is basically made for fans of the franchise (hell, even information exclusively to the pokedex is shown in the behavior of each individual Pokemon that may pop up in the screen all around), they really did their homework and deliver one amazing piece of adaptation for that worldbuilding we know and love. And talking about adaptation, yes, it's MILES better than the actual spinoff game it's based on.

If you like Pokemon at all, this is about what you are expecting to be from the trailers, but even better. The story is also pretty nicely handled overall, and so were the characters (Detective Pikachu particularly is as iconically entertaining as I was expecting him to be, much like in the game, except with some Ryan Reynolds magic all over it).

Definitely a 8,5/10 from me. Really looking forward to the next movies.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

And Street Fighter. Laughing

Live-action had the memes, while the animated had the Chun Li vs. Vega fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdlwlu-siVA

including the only one of this in the entire franchise history Very Happy

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2