• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - (Re)Make it So

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
So FF7 will give us episodic gaming, and Arc Systems is bringing back some hand to hand fight games SF style.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I don't know if they're sticking to the original concept of releasing the game in an episodic format,

Narrator: They are.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
- FFVIIR: it's nice to see that the project is still in development, it looks like they improved the graphics since the last trailer. It's not very surprising that the game will be episodic and that they only showed the action taking place in Midgar, I suppose that the game will probably end after escaping the Shinra building. The jump from pre-rendered backgrounds to full real-time graphics is probably why the game will be massive. I still think the remake should not be too close to the original, maybe they could rearrange some of the moments like Capcom did with the RE 1 and 2 remakes.
- Mario Maker 2: I'm not the most creative person but it looks that people will create all sorts of imaginative new levels with the new tools available.
- Omega Labyrinth: I don't care for this type of games, but I won't disallow anyone from enjoying them. Most people say how weird is for Nintendo to publish this type of games on their platform, but I remember that they allowed Bmxxx to appear on the GameCube and Sony did not for the PS2. I don't personally believe that Sony's new policies regarding risque content will affect the launch of the PS5, but it seems unfair how they're treating small Japanese developers regarding the content in their games compared with Western studios.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Y'know, I actually kind of like the idea of having a fanservicey and non-fanservicey version of the same game. I'd prefer it be via some sort of options toggle rather than buying a separate game, but I know I'd feel a lot better playing certain Switch games in portable mode if I could disable fanservice."

I completely agree with this. I know I've given the molesty parts of the Senran Kagura games shit, but you know what I DO appreciate about those parts? They are completely, utterly optional, and ignoring that mechanic doesn't take anything else about the game away from the players who are uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

As far as option adjustment goes; I do remember that the Dead or Alive games -- or at least the earlier ones -- gave you the option to adjust breast bounce. (No surprise there, I'm sure.) I bought the first game on the PS1 a long, long time ago, and that game was kind of hilarious about it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

- Omega Labyrinth: I don't care for this type of games, but I won't disallow anyone from enjoying them. Most people say how weird is for Nintendo to publish this type of games on their platform, but I remember that they allowed Bmxxx to appear on the GameCube and Sony did not for the PS2. I don't personally believe that Sony's new policies regarding risque content will affect the launch of the PS5, but it seems unfair how they're treating small Japanese developers regarding the content in their games compared with Western studios.

Well the reason is obvious a lot of these titles tend to focus a bit too much on the sexualization of female characters regardless of age whereas western games don't (at least not as much anymore) plus not even major developers are immune to this just look at some of the minor changes that were made to Devil May Cry 5 on the PS4.

Northlander wrote:

I completely agree with this. I know I've given the molesty parts of the Senran Kagura games shit, but you know what I DO appreciate about those parts? They are completely, utterly optional, and ignoring that mechanic doesn't take anything else about the game away from the players who are uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

While I like those parts of the game myself even I have to acknowledge that the inclusion of those aspects themselves are purely optional themselves made clear by the fact that the dressing room shenanigans were never apart of the original games to start with.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Mario Maker 2 locks playing other peoples' stages (and most of everything else) behind NSO, so I'll wait for a discount on either the game or NSO and buy something else in the meantime.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
gives us the scene where Cloud and Aerith meet in the church,

It’s actually the scene right after you escape the reactor. A lot of people forget about this.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Mario Maker 2 locks playing other peoples' stages (and most of everything else) behind NSO, so I'll wait for a discount on either the game or NSO and buy something else in the meantime.

It is kind of annoying that it requires NSO (that acronym sounds more like a government agency than anything else), but it's at least sort of understandable since they have to run servers to store the kajillions of player-uploaded levels, in addition to regular online multiplayer.

For what it's worth, they're offering a bundle of the game and 12-month online subscription for a slight discount ($10 off in the US, supposedly you can also pre-order a physical version of that). I'll probably have to get that due to my inexplicable obsession with Mario Maker 1, a game I have never actually played.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:50 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well the reason is obvious a lot of these titles tend to focus a bit too much on the sexualization of female characters regardless of age whereas western games don't (at least not as much anymore) plus not even major developers are immune to this just look at some of the minor changes that were made to Devil May Cry 5 on the PS4.

Not unless you count indie games. Sexy games are topping the charts on crowdfunding sites and other avenues like developers on Patreon, but the western AAA industry proper had to eject sexualization from the industry around a decade ago due to growing social pressures. It's certainly weird seeing series who once embraced sexuality like Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat acting like conservative Mormon nuns. Mortal Kombat 9 wasn't even that long ago and it was filled to the brim with sexy costumes like any Japanese game would be from what I remember about it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
-FFVII: Not feeling this one. The fact that they're still attempting the episodic release is the most worrying and you can tell even Nomura knows that as in a recent interview he tried to walk it back by saying "it's not episodic, it's in multiple parts!" Sure Nomura. I didn't have high hopes before due to Nomura's track record and now he's really deflating people's interest.

-Prelude Rune: That happened

-Mario Maker 2: Good times

-GBVS: We now have the second official trans character in a fighting game. About time
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

It's certainly weird seeing series who once embraced sexuality like Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat. acting like conservative Mormon nuns. Mortal Kombat 9 wasn't even that long ago and it was filled to the brim with sexy costume

Yeah Mortal Kombat was never truly synonymous with sexual fanservice which is more or less why 9 is more of outlier as a result. Up until that game most of the female costumes barring Sheeva's original MK3 costume along with Li Mei's alt in Deadly Alliance and Mileena's alt in Deception were pretty tame

Whereas Tomb Raider made that change simply because the cheesecake went stale after awhile.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
PSA:

You can get a year of Nintendo's online service by free if you own Amazon Prime with Twitch's Prime rewards.

For those who want to play Mario Maker.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
PSA:

You can get a year of Nintendo's online service by free if you own Amazon Prime with Twitch's Prime rewards.

For those who want to play Mario Maker.

I had enough of those coins from buying games that I got a year subscription for free pretty much.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-FFVII: Not feeling this one. The fact that they're still attempting the episodic release is the most worrying and you can tell even Nomura knows that as in a recent interview he tried to walk it back by saying "it's not episodic, it's in multiple parts!" Sure Nomura. I didn't have high hopes before due to Nomura's track record and now he's really deflating people's interest.

Except he's not walking anything back. SE never called it episodic in the first place that what so western journalist called. The line was always in parts, Nomura may not even understand episodic even means becasue JP has their own terms for what their doing.

And the interest in the game is as high as it ever been multiple parts or not so I have no idea what you're talking about here. Nomura has created some of SE's best games and sellers so I'm not sure your talking as if that has been bad either.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I think SE confirmed that the FFVII remake is still going to be episodic :/

Quote:
So will these be released in the West? I rather doubt it – after Omega Labyrinth Z's cancellation, this franchise is probably poisoned anywhere outside of Asia.

Except that it would have been released here if not for Sony of America refusing to allow it's release at the eleventh hour, so I'd say the switch version at least has a decent chance this time around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2