• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AnimeNEXT Staff Launch Investigation Into Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Former Con

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Huh.

Well I feel a huge bit of Deja Vu because I heard about this a few months ago.
Haven't been to AN in years.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
And that's the bottom line!
gtmvanity

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Are we going to get an #ImWithEric bombardment throughout social media by the select few? Sadly and worrying that it wouldn't be surprising.
Quicker we get these toxic sex preds out of the con community, the better.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Where’s the evidence? I demand 4K video footage from several angles! I bet this is because a jelly bean!

Ow, it hurts to pretend to be that dumb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry he's gonna get Ty Beard to file a lawsuit and will totally be vindicated shortly.

LOL nope.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of animenext or nextanime or whatever. Its just another convention. At least Vic is a well known commodity that was worth reporting on. This just seems like a reach to be honest. This guy is a nobody. Why give this guy any platform at all.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
gtmvanity wrote:
Are we going to get an #ImWithEric bombardment throughout social media by the select few? Sadly and worrying that it wouldn't be surprising.

You know, with a story out in the wilds and an decision to do nothing but slap the guy in the wrist public... I would hope not. AnimeNEXT would look bad if what happens next is to continue do nothing which validates more predators.
Quote:
Quicker we get these toxic sex preds out of the con community, the better.

Agreed, but know that you are in for a war... not a battle, it will be long before there is any hope in sight.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:
I've never heard of animenext or nextanime or whatever. Its just another convention. At least Vic is a well known commodity that was worth reporting on. This just seems like a reach to be honest. This guy is a nobody. Why give this guy any platform at all.

Yeah and most organizers of conventions are not going to be a "celeb" like Vic. So what. If a convention draws a crowd of 5k every year, I would still think its worth reporting.
MadMegatax

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:

I've been attending AnimeNEXT for 8-9 years and I had no clue about this or the facebook post until ANN made an article about it. It's fine if it doesn't matter to you, but I'd rather be informed of the issue, and ANN is probably the only way I would have found out.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Yeah and most organizers of conventions are not going to be a "celeb" like Vic. So what. If a convention draws a crowd of 5k every year, I would still think its worth reporting.

I think this is because the board apparently knew about the problem and intentionally ignored it. In general, I don't think some guy nobody knows creeping on girls is newsworthy and would be unfairly tarnishing the con. He should just have been removed, but nope, now it would seem that the entire board is complicit which makes this a much bigger deal.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

I think this is because the board apparently knew about the problem and intentionally ignored it. In general, I don't think some guy nobody knows creeping on girls is newsworthy and would be unfairly tarnishing the con. He should just have been removed, but nope, now it would seem that the entire board is complicit which makes this a much bigger deal.

It is newsworthy because now everyone knows who he is. That's how situations like this need to be handled. Don't feel sorry for him. Feel sorry for his victims.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Where’s the evidence? I demand 4K video footage from several angles! I bet this is because a jelly bean!

You would think after the ProJared thing people wouldn't mock this idea that evidence is somehow hard to obtain when literally hours after Jared's accusation he had dozens of his private photos and conversation logs posted all over the internet. It's only hard to produce when it doesn't exist.

But this accusation is boring. He asked legal-aged women out for drinks, they said no, and he moved on? That's called hooking up, and it's quite common at conventions. I don't see how that's inappropriate at all.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
People were cool siding against ProJared because he was a self described ‘feminist’ AND because it gave them an opportunity to harass a woman they deemed unattractive. Vic is basically the enemy of all women, which made him the friend of awful men. That’s why they love him.

This guy doesn’t have fanboys though so I doubt he’s gonna get the same level of support as Vic. At best, expect Vic Youtubers to make one or two bad faith videos about this article.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

You would think after the ProJared thing people wouldn't mock this idea that evidence is somehow hard to obtain when literally hours after Jared's accusation he had dozens of his private photos and conversation logs posted all over the internet. It's only hard to produce when it doesn't exist.

But this accusation is boring. He asked legal-aged women out for drinks, they said no, and he moved on? That's called hooking up, and it's quite common at conventions. I don't see how that's inappropriate at all.

Oh yes because everything is just that easy & easy to compare to each other...........

Well at least another prick got outed, this is good work.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
People were cool siding against ProJared because he was a self described ‘feminist’ AND because it gave them an opportunity to harass a woman they deemed unattractive. Vic is basically the enemy of all women, which made him the friend of awful men. That’s why they love him.

This guy doesn’t have fanboys though so I doubt he’s gonna get the same level of support as Vic. At best, expect Vic Youtubers to make one or two bad faith videos about this article.

That seems like a very conspiratorial view of the situation. People quickly sided against ProJared because there were actual receipts and mountains of tangible evidence levied against him. A few people initially defended him, like his former co-creators, but after the evidence dropped they recanted and dropped him, and he quickly became the laughing stock of the internet. Vic had zero receipts and evidence against him, and thankfully after a few weeks from the initial accusations people noticed there still wasn't and public opinion started shifting back around in his favor. Nowadays he's getting convention invites left and right as new evidences pops up thanks to his lawsuit that shows he was vindicated all along.

But you are correct about this guy. He does not have the fanbase or popularity Vic does, so if this is another case of his career being ruined because of anonymous accusations and hearsay, he probably won't get the amount of support Vic did. But as far as this article mentions, he hasn't be fired yet, so it hasn't come to that yet. Of course, it's also possible some receipts of him doing sexual misconduct will appear as well, so we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3