• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Dragon Ball Editor Kazuhiko Torishima Comments on Dragon Ball Evolution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
So they were in a tough stop regarding the script, I kinda expected that.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Movie was pretty great really. I'm skeptical that they could have come up with something better. I saw it once in theaters and twice with different groups of friends shortly after it came out on disc. Sure, it has problems. All of it really, but that is why it works.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
If anything, that sorry excuse for a film served as a wakeup call to the industry: Don't trust the "prestige" of Hollywood.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
It would have been better if Shueshia and Toriyama had more control over the script, but it seems that it's very difficult for the original creators to oversee the production of a movie made in Hollywood, although looking at how TPCI worked closely with Legendary Pictures with the production of Detective Pikachu maybe future adaptations will be more faithful.
As for Dragon Ball Evolution itself, I didn't like the movie, while there where some nods to the early chapters of the manga (which is weird considering that the U.S. fanbase is more familiarised with the Saiyajin saga onwards), the movie didn't capture the feel of the series. The only thing I enjoyed was that in the latin-american dub Goku and Piccolo were dubbed by their original voice actors, and even then I remember that Piccolo's voice actor made fun of the movie on Youtube when the first images of his character were shown.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Evolution may be bad, but it's still the only anime adaption that actually kept most of the characters Asian. Yamcha, Chi-Chi, Mai, Roshi, Gohan. It was only Goku and Bulma they changed, so that's a pretty big accomplishment compared to any other Hollywood adaption of anime.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Dragon Ball Evolution may be bad, but it's still the only anime adaption that actually kept most of the characters Asian. Yamcha, Chi-Chi, Mai, Roshi, Gohan. It was only Goku and Bulma they changed, so that's a pretty big accomplishment compared to any other Hollywood adaption of anime.

The characters aren't Asians in the manga. Goku is not even an Earthling.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
If anything, that sorry excuse for a film served as a wakeup call to the industry: Don't trust the "prestige" of Hollywood.

And even with that, the Japanese are still very gullible regarding Hollywood and Americans as a well, compared with other countries. Just ask Sega with the Sonic The Hedgehof film and compare with the Russian creators of the Metro 2033 game, which they completely vetoed the plans for a Hollywood film when they saw how the American producers wanted to Americanize the setting of the game, basically cancelling the film altogether.

That would mean either the Russians did pay for the veto rights of the film, regardless the price, those rights were very cheap or the American producers didn't want to being involved into a political mess-up with the Russians in the case the film bombed, so they took the loss.

In this case, did the American producers asked that price knowing that the Japanese side wouldn't be able to pay up? In my opinion, that would be basically extortion.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Movie was pretty great really. I'm skeptical that they could have come up with something better. I saw it once in theaters and twice with different groups of friends shortly after it came out on disc. Sure, it has problems. All of it really, but that is why it works.
So bad that it's good, huh? Rolling Eyes (But, then again, I never watched the movie myself)
luisedgarf wrote:
Morry wrote:
And even with that, the Japanese are still very gullible regarding Hollywood and Americans as a well, compared with other countries. Just ask Sega with the Sonic The Hedgehof film and compare with the Russian creators of the Metro 2033 game, which they completely vetoed the plans for a Hollywood film when they saw how the American producers wanted to Americanize the setting of the game, basically cancelling the film altogether.

That would mean either the Russians did pay for the veto rights of the film, regardless the price, those rights were very cheap or the American producers didn't want to being involved into a political mess-up with the Russians in the case the film bombed, so they took the loss.

In this case, did the American producers asked that price knowing that the Japanese side wouldn't be able to pay up? In my opinion, that would be basically extortion.
I am old enough to remember (and I believe that this was in the late '80s) when the Hollywood studios were shut out of the Oscar nominations ─ all of them. This was unprecedented; and ─ what a shocker ─ all of the senior executives/producers at the said studios were livid. I remember reading with much amusement this article that explained how these executives were going around telling everyone how "their" film(s) should have been nominated. It was such a stark example of raving egos because ─ as that same article noted ─ the "independent" studios that had produced all of the nominees that year were all owned by the Hollywood studios themselves. IIRC, this was before Robert Alman's "The Player" was produced.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

When was Gohan in the movie, I mean yeah he would be half-Asian if he were born but IIRC the movie ended with Goku and Chi-Chi just beginning their relationship.

Also, kinda hard to praise Roshi when they made such little effort to make him resemble the character. Yeah, let's just cast an Asian actor and throw a Hawaiian shirt on him, clearly our job is done, it's not like the character is known for being bald, having a beard, turtle shell, and cane. Heck, I remember a Japanese news team commenting on the first character photos released and they at least got what they were going for with Goku, but with Roshi they were just like, "that's Roshi, I guess?"

And a DB adaptation has weird priorities if it thinks it's more important to include Yamcha and Mai over Krillin.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
Weeeelllllll,

It's not like they don't have the opportunity to make it better, right? Maybe?

I liked the movie too, and I thought it was definitely a dumpster fire.

The movie did have potential, just got placed in the wrong hands, methinks. It's been over 5 years since that movie came out, I think the time to reflect on regret is kinda too late at this point.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
The characters aren't Asians in the manga. Goku is not even an Earthling.

Really? The show is dripping with Asian culture and mythology. Not to mention their names, food, fighting styles, attack names, and the gi they wear with Japanese kanji on it.

Goku's not an Earthling, but neither are Luke Skywalker or Lando Calrissian. But we know they're white and black respectively. Son Goku is clearly supposed to be Asian.

doctordoom85 wrote:
When was Gohan in the movie, I mean yeah he would be half-Asian if he were born but IIRC the movie ended with Goku and Chi-Chi just beginning their relationship.

Also, kinda hard to praise Roshi when they made such little effort to make him resemble the character. Yeah, let's just cast an Asian actor and throw a Hawaiian shirt on him, clearly our job is done, it's not like the character is known for being bald, having a beard, turtle shell, and cane. Heck, I remember a Japanese news team commenting on the first character photos released and they at least got what they were going for with Goku, but with Roshi they were just like, "that's Roshi, I guess?"

And a DB adaptation has weird priorities if it thinks it's more important to include Yamcha and Mai over Krillin.

No the other Gohan. The old man who adopted Goku and who Goku named his first son after.

Don't get me wrong. I agree the characters bare zero recognition to the manga characters and am not saying it was good, I was just saying at least they didn't racebend them as well.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Also, kinda hard to praise Roshi when they made such little effort to make him resemble the character. Yeah, let's just cast an Asian actor and throw a Hawaiian shirt on him, clearly our job is done, it's not like the character is known for being bald, having a beard, turtle shell, and cane.

To be fair Roshi in his younger days had none of those items/features (and even when he did he didn't always carry the shell or the cane).

El Hermano wrote:

Goku's not an Earthling, but neither are Luke Skywalker or Lando Calrissian. But we know they're white and black respectively. Son Goku is clearly supposed to be Asian.

Goku was raised by an old asian man but that decidedly does not make him "clearly" asian. Characters like Namu, Roshi, Chi-Chi, Mai, Chaiotzu etc are far more asian than Goku ever was.

doctordoom85 wrote:

Yamcha and Mai appeared in the story before Krillin did...hell Krillin is part of the reason Yamcha became irrelevant over time. Funnily enough given the part of DragonBall that Evolution was based on it's probably a good thing he wasn't included given his only contribution in the Piccolo Daimao arc was being the first major character in the series to die.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Weeeelllllll,

It's not like they don't have the opportunity to make it better, right? Maybe?

I liked the movie too, and I thought it was definitely a dumpster fire.

The movie did have potential, just got placed in the wrong hands, methinks. It's been over 5 years since that movie came out, I think the time to reflect on regret is kinda too late at this point.

5 years ago? More like 10. Very Happy
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know if it was over 10 years or not so over 5 years was a safer thing to say, lol.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Veto power in a case like this is very rare for American movies. I don't know about Japanese productions, but I'm sure if that had been the case, Marvel would've stopped stuff like Howard the Duck or X-Men Origins: Wolverine from making it to theaters. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2