• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I felt that the series was stronger when exploring the platonic relationships between friends and siblings, rather than the characters with a romantic interest in Sakuta. Even though Sakuta and Mai have been in a stable relationship since the series' first arc, the inclusion of multiple love interests that Sakuta has to "save" made the series feel more like a boilerplate harem romcom.

Yeah, the classic "bed kills shiping", reinforced by the fact that imouto's arc was really strong and heartbreaking. Not surprisingly, I personally remember this series more for sibling drama, not romance.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
I am lucky to have watched this while paying a short visit to my family.

I understand this is a movie but I am still pretty sad to LOTS of contents were cut to squeeze TWO LN volumes of contents into one single movie, I kinda understand why the reviewer said it gets too long to get going, because some of their decision on which scenes to cut definitely seems questionable.

That being said, at least the key scenes were done VERY WELL, and I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who likes the show, or even felt mediocre about the TV series, to give this a try.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Have there been any announcements about a limited US theater run?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
Have there been any announcements about a limited US theater run?
Just Anime Expo so far.

I'd like a review of the US theater run (assuming it gets one) - because the subtitles of the TV series were completely trash. I had found errors - ranging from minor such as a missing letter in words to major such as missing words so the meaning becomes the opposite of what the JP voices were saying - in probably 11 out of the 13 episodes. Nearly every week I was getting triggered by the subtitle issues. If they uses the same people for the movie, it could end up pretty bad. I hope they at least hire a better editor (or one at all - it seemed like they didn't even have one most the time). Actually, most of the show read like a Google translate.

Anyway, back on topic. This sounds about what I expected. I've not read the LNs or whatever but the trailer basically screamed "this one will make you cry". Looking forward to it
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even though Sakuta and Mai have been in a stable relationship since the series' first arc, the inclusion of multiple love interests that Sakuta has to "save" made the series feel more like a boilerplate harem romcom.

Hmm, I disagree with this. Aside from Tomoe, none of the other girls were presented as love interests, nor were they shown to have any interest in him romantically even after he helped them. I think that's what helps prevent it from feeling like a wish-fulfillment harem series is that Sakuta is only lending them a hand and it doesn't feel like it's for the purpose of them falling for him for being such a nice guy. Again, with the exception of Tomoe, but that only ends up causing a different problem altogether so I think hers is a very deliberate case.

As for the film, I won't be able to make it to Anime Expo, just as I'm unable to make it to any con ever, so I'll probably just buy the JP BD. Hopefully after that there will be decent subs for the movie floating somewhere.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

As for the film, I won't be able to make it to Anime Expo, just as I'm unable to make it to any con ever, so I'll probably just buy the JP BDs. Hopefully after that there will be decent subs for the movie floating somewhere.

I'm in a similar situation RE never making it to a con. For this reason in the past I've bought a few Japanese BD's of con-only releases, and those had setup options for English subtitles.

Maybe I was just lucky in those cases. Who knows, but we ought to keep an eye on those Japanese releases to see if they're distributed with subtitle options.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
After reading this, I'm looking forward to my chance of seeing this film even more. Loved the TV series, and would love to get the LNs (I don't believe they've been licensed?), so I was already anticipating this movie.

I'm one that enjoyed both the romance aspect and the friendship aspect of the characters in this series. Though, admittedly, I would've liked some more focus on the romance, but it seems like the movie may sate my appetite for that.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This is on my to do list for AX this year.
Hopefully I can get in, its hit or miss anymore.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
This was an excellent film, providing a satisfying bit of closure for Shouko's arc. The bits in the original review about pacing and the so-called 'hackneyed' elements, I disagree with: the film's pacing and use of mechanics are both deliberate and consistent, done to drive the story.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
BlackWolf26 wrote:
This was an excellent film, providing a satisfying bit of closure for Shouko's arc. The bits in the original review about pacing and the so-called 'hackneyed' elements, I disagree with: the film's pacing and use of mechanics are both deliberate and consistent, done to drive the story.

How did you see it? At the Anime Con, or did you get your hands on a Japanese DVD or BD release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1