• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote

If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Fantasy
Theme:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Dale is a cool, composed, and highly skilled adventurer who's made quite a name for himself despite his youth. One day on a job deep in the forest, he comes across a little devil girl who’s almost wasted away. Unable to just leave her there to die, Dale takes her home and becomes her adoptive father. Devil or not, Latina is beyond adorable, and the adventurer soon finds himself head over heels with being a parent.
(from manga)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was asked by someone what shows caught my interest based off of names, summary and image, and this was one I was kind of interested in. A fantasy show with an adventurer main lead, who adopts a lost orphan girl. I like the use of some fantasy settings to have story elements that are not just destroy evil, although the cooking shows in such settings did kind of loose their sheen. It has been a little while since we have had one of those shows of an adult adopting a lost child who is really cute, and I do tend to like those shows quite a bit, so I am in.

I do wonder how vocal she gets before the end of the show, where she can express herself rather than just be a ball of moe, it being interesting if she is not too infantized.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I would not say that it really improved. Indeed Latina became vocal, fairly quickly mind it, but kind of felt like as she started to become her own character it was mostly around she wants to be in a lover's relationship with her adopted father, and just looking cute. Yeah she had a couple insecurities around her being a devil, but often they were around her not being like Dale. It just feels a little too uncomfortable when how it is often so vacuous of her character being cute for the sake of it, admitting that she is young, comparing to even actual infants, and then saying her entire goal is to be a lover with the guy who adopted her as daughter.

Totally having its cake and eat it too when making half the point of the show is how cute she is as a child, making her still feel infantized, and then expecting us to accept her feelings towards him are valid. I know people have trouble with how something like Usagi Drop apparently went, but at least the character in that show was not acting like every moment without the girl is pain and just wants grab her all the time. It is like a fetishization of being a father, and straying too much towards feeling like grooming.

And I would describe it as mostly vacuous, trying do entire stories about just how cute she is, and I have honestly seen far cuter shows. It did occasionally try to bring in other themes, like racism, and difference of races or something, but far too few to actually feel like him being an adventurer meant anything. It much rather showing a cute animal person or monster, or just her in a new outfit. I give it a rating of So-so (5/10), because it occasionally tried different, but otherwise thought it would just act cute, and accept the romantic feelings of this child.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
Shit-another one of my favorite shows this season comes to an end.......!!
Drifter24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Doubt we see a full adaption since even Usagi Drop didn't get one.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
It was an good Anime in my Opinion, As i heard, the Manga was more crude ^^. Latina is pure Sugar, but most interesting Person for me was Grandma!
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:17 am Reply with quote
It was an good Anime in my Opinion, As i heard, the Manga was more crude ^^. Latina is pure Sugar, but most interesting Person for me was Grandma!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1