• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement eBook 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement is, the author tells us in the afterword, actually the first title they wrote; it just wasn't the first picked for light novel publication after its web novel origins. If you are familiar with either of the other titles previously mentioned, this will make a lot of sense – neither the writing nor the plot is nearly as strong as in FUNA's other works.

I would caution against reading too much into this -- she started serializing it online the day before I Shall Survive Using Potions!, and only about three months before starting Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!.

(All three are still in progress; her schedule since January 2017, with some breaks, has been a chapter of Make My Abilities Average on Tuesday, one of 80,000 Gold on Wednesday, one of Potions on Thursday, and one more of Make My Abilities Average on Friday. I don't know how those map to book chapters.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I had no problem with the light novel. I really didn't see or remember any personal directive to non-interference by Mizuha. I also found the reviewer's issues about the weapons to be problematic. I may be getting the Potion Lady and the Retirement Lady mixed up, but it was clearly stated the issues modern women would have in feudal or medieval societies, not to mention the banditry in the wilderness between towns. Weaponry that Mizuha is bringing with her would be required for her protection, if she wanted to be an independent women. Hell, as a man, I would be armed to the teeth in that kind of society, I would take any edge I could get, because I want to live.

Yes, actually using those weapons, would invite some additional problems, but only if there are living witnesses...............Innocent witnesses could be suborned through other means.

If I remember right, Mizuha was having problems making her
spoiler[store profitable] which was why she really let people see what they probably shouldn't have been allowed to see.

I like the novel and manga, so it is a must read to me.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I always thought that if I had a time machine, this is exactly what I'd do.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
Then she goes ahead and shows her modern conveniences off to the very first people who come into her new store, while also serving them cheap boil-in-bag meals that are light years ahead of the flavors available to a society where sauce is still being used to disguise spoiled meat.

I'm not usually quite this pedantic, but this is not true. I don't know if the series or reviewer is repeating this old chestnut, but sauces were used to compliment what they served with, just like they are today. Spices were much too expensive to be used to cover up the taste of rotting food. People living in the middle ages might have been lacking in a lot of modern amenities, but eating rotten food without being under duress--or it being one of those strange cultural recipes likely descended from a time of duress--is not one of them.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
^ No, no, I know. I was going for an example quickly understandable; sort of like the way people still use the "Let them eat cake" line that Marie-Antoinette didn't say. Not my best choice; I should have gone for an example about the difficulties of importing spices in a world where travel is slow and expensive, not to mention dangerous, but I was feeling like the review was coming out a bit heavy. Sorry to set off your inner pedant! (I hate when mine gets set off.)
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This mainly sounds like a beta-test version of Make My Abilities Average, which also has a number of zany moneymaking schemes involving the protagonist's unique powers (transporting absurd quantities of valuable monster corpses in magical time-locked subspace, for example), in-depth discussion of budgeting, and attempts to recreate modern conveniences in a medieval world. So if you're into those types of things, that more-polished take on those concepts is probably a better place to start.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
^I think that's a fair assessment, and part of the reason I felt this just wasn't as good. I really enjoy Make My Abilities Average, and this was a disappointment comparatively.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1