• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Reveals New Gundam Build Anime's Title, TV Airing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootbrush

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
GBD missed the point of what I want from the Build series so hard that I don't know how they could possibly "Re:RISE" from garbage fire tier. That prologue episode was such a lie.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
GBD was so good(don't care what people say), can't wait for this sequel.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
I have the opposite opinion of the person above me. I thought Build Divers was trash, more so than Build Fighters Try. The only good episodes were the prologue and episode 13 with the Astray No-Name(Which got a botched HG model kit release. Seriously, what's up with the coloration on that?). All I want is a third Build Fighters series so we can finally finish that story. Try and Try: Island Wars left it on a cliffhanger, and yet Divers gets a sequel instead? Ridiculous. The only legit good one was the original Build Fighters. Heck, even Gunpla Builders Beginning G was better than Try and Divers and that was a three episode OVA series.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to straight up skip this one. I got duped with the awesome prologue last time, but you aren't getting me twice.

Build Fighters and Try were both pretty good. The first one was definitely the better show, but both were at least decent. Divers wasn't great. Or at least while Build Fighters tried to appeal to a wider audience, Divers was just straight up for young kids. Which is hilarious for a show that is banking on nostalgia for the older Gundams fighting each other.

Can't wait for a new Gundam show of any type that I can have some excitement for.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I too am skeptical of this new Build series. Enjoyed the first two enough to buy them on Blu-ray after watching them in their entirety via the official streams, but didn't get further than the Prologue and first episode of Divers. I was curious to see how Divers' remixed mobile suits would appear in the show (mainly the Kapool), but in the end, I just couldn't be bothered enough to care. Like others have said, the Prologue was enjoyable, but the actual show itself, not so much.

Will definitely wait for reviews/impressions before trying out this new show.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Another one, huh? Guess this is more than a phase. I've sampled a number of these more model-kit fan-service/kids-driven Gundam franchise spinoffs, and I've never been able to stick with any of them. When you take the factional politics and consequences out of Gundam...it just feels bland to me. I mean, yeah, you get some cool designs and battles, but it just comes across as dessert without the meal for me.

I'm beginning to think that this formula has been a huge success, though. That it's reaching the demographics Bandai/Sunrise wanted, and they realized the model kits don't need to be tied to life-or-death themes. Merchandising-wise, I feel like maybe AGE was an unintentional transition to get to this, and that most of the more "serious" or "heavy" Gundam stuff will be relegated to OVAs and movies now.

That said, there was a time when Sunrise claimed they were committed to three pillars of UC, CE, and AD for older fans, newer young fans, and teen fans in the middle, respectively, back in the mid-to-late 00s. That plan didn't last, but it could point to a strategy at some point of returning to some middle ground in the TV realm. I think that IBO and G-Reco seemingly not doing as well as expected has caused some issues on that front, but I could be totally mistaken. That's just my perception.

Obviously, there is probably the hope that by reintroducing older/remixed model kits from other series to new young fans that it will cause curiosity toward other Gundams over time, but I'm not sure how well that will or won't work.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Great! Divers was pretty fun and Build in general is the only Gundam I can actually stomach.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
I'm beginning to think that this formula has been a huge success, though. That it's reaching the demographics Bandai/Sunrise wanted, and they realized the model kits don't need to be tied to life-or-death themes. Merchandising-wise, I feel like maybe AGE was an unintentional transition to get to this, and that most of the more "serious" or "heavy" Gundam stuff will be relegated to OVAs and movies now.

Yeah I'm part of the problem, I keep buying the kit even if I don't watch the show (honestly they could start making kit that weren't in any show and I'd still buy them).

Although at the same time, age kit sold incredibly poorly (a shame imo, I'd love an MG of the age FX), so I don't think that's all there is to it. There's probably a non significant audience for the build/diver. Or it could be that they're much cheaper to produce than regular gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1