• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hentai Artist Aiue Oka Asks Readers to Not Pirate, Buy Officially Licensed Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
>FAKKU

After the recent stunt they pulled with HentaiHaven they can take a hike.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I tried Fakku during their $8 Memorial Day offer, and while I enjoyed that month, I was rather disappointed by the ratio of purchase-only titles. It seemed like even with a subscription, I’d only have access to limited number of doujins. It barely felt worth the $8, and it sure isn’t worth $13 a month, at least to me. Going through a certain category or artist and there being a majority of purchase-only titles was a real turn-off.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
>FAKKU

I'm not familiar with this one. What happened here?
hsbeta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Most languages are not even available, but let's complain about pirating...
Ariolander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
>FAKKU

I think it might be better to buy it in the original Japanese to support the artist and use unofficial translations to actually consume it. Many people have ethical objections on how FAKKU runs their business, maybe promoting his Japanese version, over their English partner, might get more traction with his followers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drifter24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
>FAKKU

Would you please enlighten us lesser life forms?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The HH creator complained Fakku was stealing the website from him after apparently not getting word from Fakku for a month or so - and he did this by making an announcement on the site itself.

It's been apparently sorted out already and he was overreacting to a person being very busy.
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I told myself I'd eat my hat if this wasn't a conveniently timed PR article for Fakku, and I'm glad to say my hat remains uneaten.

Drifter24 wrote:
Would you please enlighten us lesser life forms?

Hentai Haven got into some legal problems over the past year, based on undisclosed issues, but it is speculated to be about lolicon material or copyright issues.

Fakku, a larger pay-walled hentai site, offered to help HH get out of the legal issues, in exchange for the reins to the company.

According to PapaHH (the original creator of the site), they promised him royalties and share in the new combined company, but they reneged on their agreement.

As a result, Papa posted one last article on HH giving his side of the story. It has since been mysteriously deleted. Although recently they have come to an "agreement"
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I prefer not to give my money to lolicons or rape fetishists.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
ETX wrote:
>FAKKU

I'm not familiar with this one. What happened here?

From what I have been able to gather

Hentai Haven got into some legal trouble last year, probably copyright issues, and was shutting down. Fakku approached the site's founder, PapaHH, and told him that they would help him out with the legal troubles if he gave Fakku control of the site and related social media accounts (twitter).

The site relaunched in May of this year, but according to PapaHH he was unaware of the relaunch and also stated that Fakku ceased communication with him after he handed over control of the site. PapaHH was under the impression that he would be partners with Fakku in running Hentai Haven, but it seems like Fakku basically kicked him out.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there was any written or recorded agreement so even if PapaHH is telling the truth he probably doesn't have much in the way of legal recourse.
EX23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
So, people dislike FAKKU due to its history and the owner?

It doesn't seem to help the piracy issue much if FAKKU is surrounded by controversy.
me_barron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Um...no.
oxfort

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
honestly I never expect and dont know how doujinshi, hentai would make any profit outside of japan itself because of how many sites there are with 100k of hentai to fap too. And they get used to it and then they dont care anymore. Some do and thats awesome
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I always chuckle a bit when artists complain about piracy while simultaneously profiting from doujins based on another individual's intellectual property. I know there's a large gray area that Japanese publishers largely let slide due to how many authors got their start doing doujin, but you're still making money off of stuff that someone else imagined.
Idgal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I always chuckle a bit when artists complain about piracy while simultaneously profiting from doujins based on another individual's intellectual property. I know there's a large gray area that Japanese publishers largely let slide due to how many authors got their start doing doujin, but you're still making money off of stuff that someone else imagined.

Not all doujin are fanart, doujin just means fan made. Many of the doujin are OC. doujin are comparable to indie comic/titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3