• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hinomaru Sumō Manga Reaches 'Climax' in Next Chapter on July 22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
An incredibly underrated manga. At least it'll have a proper, unrushed, unaxed ending.
Scoot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
An incredibly underrated manga. At least it'll have a proper, unrushed, unaxed ending.

You never hear about this series at all in the west for some reason. Its odd.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Scoot wrote:

Two words: Sports manga.

Unfortunately, in the USA (which is what most people understand by the west), sports manga flop because they'd rather see real-life sports (or better said, American football, baseball or basketball). In Latin America, while we do enjoy sports manga, we still prefer football. So a series about something as Japanese as sumo would be overlooked by people. I wholeheartedly recommend HinoZumou, though.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
And thus another spot opens up in Jumps line-up.
Scoot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Scoot wrote:

Two words: Sports manga.

Unfortunately, in the USA (which is what most people understand by the west), sports manga flop because they'd rather see real-life sports (or better said, American football, baseball or basketball). In Latin America, while we do enjoy sports manga, we still prefer football. So a series about something as Japanese as sumo would be overlooked by people. I wholeheartedly recommend HinoZumou, though.

That's why Haikyuu is popular right? Slam Dunk? Eyeshield 21? I think its unpopular in the west BECAUSE its sumo. Its unrelatable to North American culture.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
I think a big reason why Hinomaru Sumo isn't popular in the US is because Viz never licensed it for US release. You can only read the English version on the Manga Plus app but there's no physical release and it's not on Viz's US app. I hope we can get a physical release of the manga and a second season of the anime as I also enjoyed this show and agree it's underrated. I actually became interested in it because it was about a sumo and it seems like we haven't gotten many sports manga about sumo so I was curious to check it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1