• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 34th Victim of Kyoto Animation Fire Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Who was his name though?
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Who was his name though?

Police have not yet released the names of the victims.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
It'll probably be at least a few more days, if not a few weeks, before all the names of the victims are known.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope otherwise, but I will not be surprised if the death toll increases by one or two more in the next day or so. From professional experience, we often can save severe burn victims in the very short term before they either succumb to the systemic after effects of the burn cascade or are mercifully allowed to pass on in the case of those with no hope for recovery.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
God I hope this stops. I expect a few more deaths but I hope the remaining victims in the hospital have the strength to survive.
motormind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The tragic loss of life and a big part of anime history is just heartbreaking. I have been in Japan several times visiting many anime locations (many of which are from KyoAni shows), and I also went to see the headquarters and the KyoAni shop a few times, and I loved it how nice and friendly they were.

This truly makes me sad and angry. Sure, I am mad at the guy who set the place on fire, but I am also angry at KyoAni who let their people work in such a death trap. I know the building passed the official fire inspections, but KyoAni should have gone the extra mile to invest in a proper sprinkler installation, fire doors and indoor fire hydrants (or move to another site) in order to protect the people and the work that are the core of their business!

Really, this only makes sense in a country where earthquakes, floods and typhoons are the norm. All it takes is an electrical short fire to cause massive damage and loss of life. It is also a good idea spread out your assets over more locations if ever possible, so that the loss of one building doesn't completely ruin you.

And how the heck could that guy enter the building in the first place, especially with those canisters of petrol? Was security sleeping? When I was in Japan, merely loitering around a building would already cause me to draw the attention of the guards there. I know they had visitors, but I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to leave the doors open, especially after all the death threats they had already gotten.

But the worst part of this is that people rushed up those stairs to get to the roof, only to find that the door closed. What the hell, KyoAni? This is really woeful negligence for a company that supposedly cares so much for the people who work for them.

I am truly devastated by this, and angry at all those involved. Yes, that arsonist is a piece of shit, but I blame the Hattas as well. Disaster can strike at any moment, be it in the form of an earthquake, a transformer fire, or a madman arsonist, so you have to make sure your employees have at least a passing chance of getting out of the building if it happens.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The details are truly awful and disturbing. People on the first floor had the best chance of escape which might explain why only two died on first. But the ones on second and third were trying to get to the roof to escape the smoke and fumes.

I'm looking around my own work place, and I can see that our only means of escape are the stairwells, and if those get engulfed in flames and thick smoke we won't have a safe way to get out unharmed.

Hopefully anime businesses around Kyoto and beyond are thinking about fire safety and what they can do in case of a fire, deliberate or accidental.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
motormind, what I've been reading elsewhere is that normal fire safety measures aren't effective against the kind of arson attack that happened. I'm sure the Hattas can't stop thinking about things they would've done differently if they'd expected an attack like this, but it sounds like the building was in good order.

It's heartbreaking, and I can understand why you're angry. I am too. From what I've been reading, the Hattas don't deserve to have anger directed at them. The building was safe by reasonable standards. They and their employees were victims of an unthinkable attack.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
And how the heck could that guy enter the building in the first place, especially with those canisters of petrol? Was security sleeping?

As far as I remember the news in japanese, the main door was open on Thursday because they expected some visitors. It was truly a case of bad luck.

Quote:
But the worst part of this is that people rushed up those stairs to get to the roof, only to find that the door closed. What the hell, KyoAni?

Again, as far as I can remember the japanese news and ANN news, the door wasn't locked, but could be opened from the ouside (?)

Quote:
I am truly devastated by this, and angry at all those involved. Yes, that arsonist is a piece of shit, but I blame the Hattas as well.

I'm sad as well. I haven't gone so far as you and visited the headquarters, but I've known Kyoto Animation's name from the late nineties on and appreciated their works when they hit it big with Air and other Key shows back in 2005-07. I completely understand that you're upset. However, I wouldn't go as far as putting blame on the president of the company himself. We don't know all the details of the tragedy yet and if the building's safety measures corresponded to japanese standards or not.

If I possessed a time machine, I'd truly make use of it and hinder that lunatic from causing the attack/warning the studio. Man, I so wish I had one ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very confident that even if the badge card reader system was active that would have prevented this event. Her in Japan, people are a little less skeptic of visitors. All the perpetrator had to do is knock on the door with the gas cans off to the side, and he would have likely been let in by simply saying he had an interview or an appointment; or he could have stood off to the side and just piggybacked in. Unless they had uniformed security on premise, even with an electron badge reader access control, getting through is not too terribly difficult.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
The tragic loss of life and a big part of anime history is just heartbreaking. I have been in Japan several times visiting many anime locations (many of which are from KyoAni shows), and I also went to see the headquarters and the KyoAni shop a few times, and I loved it how nice and friendly they were.

This truly makes me sad and angry. Sure, I am mad at the guy who set the place on fire, but I am also angry at KyoAni who let their people work in such a death trap. I know the building passed the official fire inspections, but KyoAni should have gone the extra mile to invest in a proper sprinkler installation, fire doors and indoor fire hydrants (or move to another site) in order to protect the people and the work that are the core of their business!

Really, this only makes sense in a country where earthquakes, floods and typhoons are the norm. All it takes is an electrical short fire to cause massive damage and loss of life. It is also a good idea spread out your assets over more locations if ever possible, so that the loss of one building doesn't completely ruin you.

And how the heck could that guy enter the building in the first place, especially with those canisters of petrol? Was security sleeping? When I was in Japan, merely loitering around a building would already cause me to draw the attention of the guards there. I know they had visitors, but I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to leave the doors open, especially after all the death threats they had already gotten.

But the worst part of this is that people rushed up those stairs to get to the roof, only to find that the door closed. What the hell, KyoAni? This is really woeful negligence for a company that supposedly cares so much for the people who work for them.

I am truly devastated by this, and angry at all those involved. Yes, that arsonist is a piece of shit, but I blame the Hattas as well. Disaster can strike at any moment, be it in the form of an earthquake, a transformer fire, or a madman arsonist, so you have to make sure your employees have at least a passing chance of getting out of the building if it happens.

Security? is that how bad the USA is that companies need security to protect employees?

As to the buildings safety there is no safety system that can stop planned malicious action.

If someone truly wants to kill you, they will.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
We don't know all the details yet about this tragedy so it's hard to say or lay blame with regards to safety measures.

From what few comments have gone around, the sprinkler systems etc. would do nothing against a gasoline fire of this level of malicious attack. This was not a normal fire that most buildings expect to be capable of handling.

Also the firefighters were puzzled about the door to the roof as it seems that it wasn't locked? But in a panicked situation, problems happen (like people pushing instead of pulling a door), and smoke inhalation and extreme heat alone could've killed people and prevented access.

This was not a normal fire...
InoTanji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this.

Last edited by InoTanji on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chazer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think some context is also important before throwing blame around.

1. Japan has a very low crime rate, whether the door was open or not is of little consequence here if you have never experienced this type of crime in the recent past. A good example is any small community that never lock their doors until their first murder occurs.

2. The locked door to the roof is a bit of a mystery, in particular when looking at the pictures and seeing that there was even a bench to relax in. I would have to ask the question: had there been zealous fans that try to sneak in through it to get material? Were there issues of depressed employees potentially using the roof to off themselves? Or was it just negligence? I would rather not play the speculate without knowing what the logic behind it was.

3. I'm not a Japanese building code expert, but thinking of sprinkler systems as being a must is not necessarily the logical conclusion in all countries. I could go into a full dissertation on cross-cultural differences (this is part of what I do for a living), but it is not unusual for countries in which fate is seen as a factor external to the person rather than something that one controls having more relaxed attitudes about these issues. Blaming the Hattas for being inherently Japanese in their thinking is a luxury people we foreigners can have.

I will just wait and see how this plays out before being angry at anyone other than the perpetrator.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
From what I know, CMIIW, the door to the roof was locked due to the rule (law?) about preventing suicide, yes in this case the rule becomes double edges sword. The studio also already has security measure but unfortunately (it could be coincidence or the perpetrator already planning it) at that day the studio was suppose to receive guests so they turned the security off. Sometimes a completely unpredictable accident can still happen despite our best to prevent it.
Source: https://soranews24.com/2019/07/19/kyoto-animation-security-system-was-shut-down-on-day-of-arson-attack-that-killed-33/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2