• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama Manga Gets New Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaorichama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Making an anime film instead of a new anime season makes sense. Probably because there wouldn't be enough material to make an actual season so it's better to put it as a movie.
It was a fun show while it lasted, sad that it's ending tho.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Great news!!! This will be epic!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Kaorichama wrote:
Making an anime film instead of a new anime season makes sense. Probably because there wouldn't be enough material to make an actual season so it's better to put it as a movie.
So the Anime is not far behind the Manga ends? I know a number of chapters had come out since the Anime ended, I thought there would at least be enough for an entire cour.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Kaorichama wrote:
So the Anime is not far behind the Manga ends? I know a number of chapters had come out since the Anime ended, I thought there would at least be enough for an entire cour.

No the anime ended right before the final battle so there isn't a lot of chapters to cover. Probably due to the fact the author failed to finish the series in the remain chapters allocated to him in Shounen jump which caused the series to move to different places
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Kaorichama wrote:
Making an anime film instead of a new anime season makes sense.

Hm ? I might be missing something, but I'm confused how you come to this conclusion ? I don't think they stated anywhere what the movie is going to be about ? I assumed this to be another original movie, like the previous one. How are you so sure, that this is going to continue the anime.
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Kaorichama wrote:

No the anime ended right before the final battle so there isn't a lot of chapters to cover. Probably due to the fact the author failed to finish the series in the remain chapters allocated to him in Shounen jump which caused the series to move to different places

There are 18 chapters left to adapt, but considering the most recent episode only adapted 1 chapter, that could be 18 full episodes. They could make 12 episodes out of it for definite, with just a bit of slow pacing, but at least unlike with One Piece, it'd only be for one season.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Better a movie than nothing, but I feel like it won't be able to properly cover the remaining material if it is going to not be something original (which at this point I think is the more likely option).
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Hoping for an original story instead of an adaptation. Fingers crossed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
There are 18 chapters left to adapt, but considering the most recent episode only adapted 1 chapter, that could be 18 full episodes. They could make 12 episodes out of it for definite, with just a bit of slow pacing, but at least unlike with One Piece, it'd only be for one season.
They could also make up the difference with filler content and/or episodes.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Kaorichama wrote:

Well first of all, there may be 18 chapters left, but you have to remember the last 6 chapters (that were published outside of WSJ) are significantly longer than weekly chapters. Roughly, they're around 15 weekly chapters, so add that to the final 12 chapters we got in WSJ, we have roughly 27 (weekly) chapters worth of content, which should be enough to adapt into 12-13 episodes without slowing down the pacing too much.

And speaking of pacing, the most recent episode only adapted 1 chapter because the second half was dedicated to adressing the abrupt end of the season. Even with that the 1 chapter-last episode, the final arc was averaging well over 3 chapters per episode. They aren't gonna slow it down too much given the pacing of the arc before. However in saying that, given the anime stopped mid-arc, I wouldn't be surprised if the first episode (or half of) is dedicated to recap (or something adressing the fact we're starting mid-arc, given this is the Gintama anime here).

So yeah, I don't see an issue with the amount of content or pacing whatsoever here. The amount of content is way too much for a movie.

MarshalBanana wrote:
They could also make up the difference with filler content and/or episodes.

Well given this the serialized format of the final arc, with an overarching plot, it's unlikely we'll be getting any fillers outside of maybe a recap for the first episode of the season, and maybe some sort of epilogue/segment adressing the end the ending/thanking fans for the final episode. Outside of that, all I can see them doing is maybe some filler scenes, extending scenes, and maybe adding some small recaps at the beginning of some episodes. Although they probably won't need to do much (if any) of that if they pace themselves properly, given the amount of content they have to work with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1