• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Record of Grancrest War Blu-ray Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
Surprised there's no mention of the insane pace (unless I'm mixing up my generic fantasy anime). iirc in the first couple of episode, a character is introduced randomly only to die off screen in between that episode and the next one (and I think the scene where they mourn him is actually longer than the one where he's introduced).
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the pacing was by far the biggest issue I had with this show so a bit surprising that it isn't listed as a negative. I think Grancrest War adapted 10 volumes in 24 episodes so just those numbers alone should make it quite clear how bad the pacing is.
Realismfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I am hoping that the original light novels get an English license. 24 episodes is not enough to completely cover ten volumes, plus one spinoff.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Surprised there's no mention of the insane pace (unless I'm mixing up my generic fantasy anime). iirc in the first couple of episode, a character is introduced randomly only to die off screen in between that episode and the next one (and I think the scene where they mourn him is actually longer than the one where he's introduced).

Sorry, who?
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I just hate how Marrine got away without any punishment after all the death she caused and she didn't even finish what she started
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this show on Netflix this last week and just finished the first half. And man, I am not really liking it at all. The show moves so fast and introduces so many characters that I can't keep them straight. I feel like I have no idea what is happening most of the time, and this is watching several episodes a day. I can't even imagine how bad it would be only watching one episode a week. This review feels way too generous honestly.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
There were some parts of this series that were done really well. The tactics were really interesting, and scenes like the wedding and spoiler[Marrine and Mirza's sex scene] managed to create a sort of gripping ambiance.
The animation was nice, I'm a fan of the looser, more abstract animation in fight scenes so whenever they went experimental I really enjoyed it.

I didn't really care about the character's though and had trouble remembering who many of them were. I liked Marrine most I think; her reasoning was flawed but I did like how tough she was.

The only thing I remember of the soundtrack is that one of the songs has a riff that sounds like the Legend of Zelda theme and it distracted me every single time I heard it.
Yaafm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Also wanted to add that im amazed the pace was not brought up at all. The show moves extremely fast and easily could of done with more episodes of character/world building.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The pacing was really fast but it didn't really get on my nerves until the late second half. I mostly watched this show to see how Hatakeyama would direct it, since he's been on my radar ever since Rakugo. Difference in source material aside, I really like his storyboarding
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
An insightful and interesting review; i agree that there's a lot to process with Marrine and her character arc. I felt that she was clearly demonstrating a "tragic flaw" in the Shakespearean sense, in how she didn't feel she deserved to be with Alexis.

I agree with others here that the pacing was way too fast, unfortunately. I liked the show a lot, but i could see that element being a turn-off to others who aren't as tolerant as me. Warts and all, i have a soft spot in my heart for this one, and i'd buy it if the bluray was in a slightly more affordable set (i feel very similarly about Fate Apocrypha, weirdly).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1