• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isekai Cheat Magician Anime Casts Hiroshi Yanaka, Rie Suegara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Isekai Cheat Magician was a series I went into with low expectations for but has ended up being a show I've really been enjoying every week. In spite of it's simple premise, it has a likable cast of characters with well done characterization, strong female characters, and some pretty good fantasy action. It's not doing anything revolutionary and probably won't change your mind about the isekai genre, but if you're an isekai fan you'll have a good time. I just wish more fans were watching it.
micah007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isekai Cheat Magician was a series I went into with low expectations for but has ended up being a show I've really been enjoying every week. In spite of it's simple premise, it has a likable cast of characters with well done characterization, strong female characters, and some pretty good fantasy action. It's not doing anything revolutionary and probably won't change your mind about the isekai genre, but if you're an isekai fan you'll have a good time. I just wish more fans were watching it.

I agree. I was initially interested in this show from the premise of a boy and girl duo in a strong platonic relationship (even if that might not ultimately be the case), and enjoyed how Rin and Taichi compliment each other. Admittedly I like Rin more due to the variety of applications for her powers coming from her innate creativity backed with academia knowledge, but Taichi has a Goku ish vibe that is classic to me and likable enough to be entertaining. But as you pointed out unfortunately its biggest "weaknesses" are the generic elements but even still I might actually look into the manga/light novels for this series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
Admittedly I like Rin more due to the variety of applications for her powers coming from her innate creativity backed with academia knowledge, but Taichi has a Goku ish vibe that is classic to me and likable enough to be entertaining. But as you pointed out unfortunately its biggest "weaknesses" are the generic elements but even still I might actually look into the manga/light novels for this series.
That's also something I love about the show that Rin uses her knowledge from her science classes to combine with her magic to power herself up. It's a refreshing change of pace from most isekai shows where they seem to largely forget about the real world as soon as they get into the fantasy world and become experts at using magic over night. And in spite of the show's title, i do like that they actually show Rin and Taichi training to learn how to use magic, and even after that, Taichi still has a lot of growing to do to master his powers. I hope someone licenses the light novels since I'm not expecting this show to be popular enough to get a second season and I would love to see the rest of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1