• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Carole & Tuesday—Episodes 1-12 streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I lost track of half my day getting through these twelve episodes, and I'm impatiently counting down the weeks until Netflix delivers the second half.

I feel that many, if not most of the people who start watching this will find it very hard to resist the urge to watch the whole thing straight through. I have not enjoyed a show this much in a long time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much in agreement with everything said in the review including how draggy the singing competition arc was. That's a bummer because I was hoping some jabs towards the competitions you usually see on TV, but no they played it straightforward.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished the show yet, but I know waiting for Part 2 is going to be a major bummer. I love the world-building, animation, and it just feels like such an impressive achievement for Studio Bones. A good amount of the music in the show actually sounds like you could hear it on the radio today, especially production-wise if not lyrically speaking. Though it is weird to finally watch a show when you've already heard the majority of songs off youtube.

I agree that the english dub is the way to go on this one. I watch a decent amount of dubs as well as subs, and I don't think the work here by Bang Zoom is particularly noteworthy compared to a ton of other modern dubs (this is the ADR Director's first ever directing job). Also, I know it happens all the time so its not a huge deal, but I kind of wished a black actress was cast as Carole, especially since anime dubbing as a whole has been improving a bit on casting more POC actors in lead roles - Funimation's Astra Lost in Space being a current example. But the actress who was cast is great, so I don't want to disparage her or anything. Despite that nitpick, the much more seamless transition from speaking to singing in one cohesive language just feels way more natural, and it is a good dub without any major mishaps. Its also a bit annoying how the subs sometimes misquote direct lyrics or references from famous songs.

Great review, and I hope people outside the typical anime bubble check it out despite being lost in the Netflix algorithm.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

I agree that the english dub is the way to go on this one. I watch a decent amount of dubs as well as subs, and I don't think the work here by Bang Zoom is particularly noteworthy compared to a ton of other modern dubs (this is the ADR Director's first ever directing job). Also, I know it happens all the time so its not a huge deal, but I kind of wished a black actress was cast as Carole, especially since anime dubbing as a whole has been improving a bit on casting more POC actors in lead roles - Funimation's Astra Lost in Space being a current example. But the actress who was cast is great, so I don't want to disparage her or anything. Despite that nitpick, the much more seamless transition from speaking to singing in one cohesive language just feels way more natural, and it is a good dub without any major mishaps. Its also a bit annoying how the subs sometimes misquote direct lyrics or references from famous songs.

Great review, and I hope people outside the typical anime bubble check it out despite being lost in the Netflix algorithm.

Erica directed I Want to Eat Your Pancreas.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Marakutanay wrote:
Erica directed I Want to Eat Your Pancreas.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now because I was surprised they gave this to a first-time director. When she tweeted that it was her first time directing a series, she literally meant just a series.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some queer and POC characters are stereotyped for the sake of gags

And so were the non-POC and non-Queer people and even the AI robots. Confused

I guess the reviewer was listening to Tumblr.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
What's a POC? I'm not up to date on the current slang.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Person of Color
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Axbox360 wrote:
Quote:

And so were the non-POC and non-Queer people and even the AI robots. Confused

I guess the reviewer was listening to Tumblr.

I personally thought that Carole & Tuesday handled POC and queer characters better than a lot Western-produced works have.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Those of you coming to the series for the first time might want to read the commentaries in this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3095127
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The singing competition made me drop the show. Not just the competition itself, but specifically the one episode where Tuesday gets kidnapped by her parents in broad daylight and nobody does anything. But that was only the dropping point because by that point I'd been unamused by the main characters for a while - which brings me to not actually root for them, which is kind of a big deal especially in that context - empathized a lot more with Angela and didn't care for any specific songs in the show (I Can Move Mountains and the Latin Rap were all right). Comedy was done pretty well most times, but it wasn't the main focus of the show and didn't manage to get me to keep going. I do wonder though it any music I actually enjoy makes its debut after episode 11 though.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Without spoiling anything, I think the second half will resolve this issue.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
The singing competition made me drop the show. Not just the competition itself, but specifically the one episode where Tuesday gets kidnapped by her parents in broad daylight and nobody does anything. But that was only the dropping point because by that point I'd been unamused by the main characters for a while - which brings me to not actually root for them, which is kind of a big deal especially in that context - empathized a lot more with Angela and didn't care for any specific songs in the show (I Can Move Mountains and the Latin Rap were all right). Comedy was done pretty well most times, but it wasn't the main focus of the show and didn't manage to get me to keep going. I do wonder though it any music I actually enjoy makes its debut after episode 11 though.

More or less same. The competition really started like it was going to be a parody but it kept on playing it straight and it took me awhile to realize that they indeed were taking it seriously. Personally the most egregious portion was the latin rap results, spoiler[they find out he's not actually some gangster and decide that he's a sham because of that, but it's a singing competition, not a gangster competition. I though they would use this point to highlight how the music industry cares more for looks/hype than music itself. But nope, he's up against the main character so he must lose. ]This doubly suck because the latin rap was one of the very few song in the show that was at least somewhat interesting, most of the song in the show are incredibly generic, starting with Carole and Tuesday song being the perfect crystallization of generic pop (grab a person who never hears of the show and play random song from the OST to them, I doubt more than 10% would be able to point to C&T song being from the main character that are supposedly shaking the industry).

This made things a bit jarring when everyone heap praise on them for not using AI when I'm pretty sure today's AI can make songs just like theirs by the millions. It's also a strong case of "tell, don't show", even the music supposedly made by AI is ultimately made by human, so as an audience we can't ascertain if the human music is so much better than AI one because, well there aren't any AI music. This would be fine if the anime was done 30 years ago, but today we do have AI that can make music (or like 95% of the way there). Having most of the music in the show actually made by AI would have been so much more artistically interesting for the show, or it would at least give them an excuse for why most of it is so generic.

Otherwise it's a fun show but without anything more, a solid 7/10. Character are generally fun, Artegun being a stand out for me, wish he had more screen time. I might get back into it once it leaves the contest/evil mom portion.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Person of Color

Specifically it refers to the growing taboo in western media where only X people can voice or write for X characters. In the case of anime dubbing, it's the idea that only Japanese-Americans should be allowed to dub anime otherwise it's digital yellowface and that white, black, Hispanic, and other ethnic people need to leave the industry in favor of Japanese-American talent getting their proper recognition.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Person of Color

Specifically it refers to the growing taboo in western media where only X people can voice or write for X characters. In the case of anime dubbing, it's the idea that only Japanese-Americans should be allowed to dub anime otherwise it's digital yellowface and that white, black, Hispanic, and other ethnic people need to leave the industry in favor of Japanese-American talent getting their proper recognition.

Nope...that's not it at all. Far from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3