• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Law and Disorder: Mignogna's Counsel Files, Rescinds Affidavits in 3 Days

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Lynzee! That must have been quite the "holiday weekend" for you.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Y'all misspelled "counsel" in the headline and body copy.

Anywho, I've been following the filings over the last few days and it's as if Vic retained Charlie Kelly, renowned expert in Bird Law, and co-counsel Barry Zuckerkorn, who just asked Ask Jeeves about all this.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
I think the Stooges provided better legal counsel than this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Is there a place you can see these court hearings, I've only ever seen commentary videos on them.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I think that Vic would just be better off dropping this whole lawsuit and permanently retiring from show business all together. He can always find work pumping gas!
Expias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
August 31st to September 3rd was a wild, wild ride of filings so I'm not sure if they were all covered since the last three were just proposed orders for the Judge on the omnibus of objections, a response from Funimation to support TCPA motions to go forward despite Beard's supposed motion to dismiss them, and a hearing to strike the Defendants' "Late" filings.

I'm not sure what that last one by Beard is supposed to be referring to. None of them were late? Especially if they were supposed to respond to -his- late filings?

Edit:
I didn't think that I could be left even more flummoxed by Vic's counsel and then Friday night/Saturday morning came. Beard was tweeting right before the deadline and didn't even mention technical difficulties later. Multiple people have already pointed out the timeline issues even with what Beard and Bullock tried. At this point it's no surprise that a firm that was court sanctioned for faking subpoenas did this. Though I am surprised they did when a case is so heavily scrutinized.

The very first paragraph is like a huge bridge burned. Vic doesn't care about getting work from Funimation. He doesn't want to work with any anime production company, he put a target on that. Why, why, why, would you write anything about the Panty & Stocking anime which was produced by Gainax? It's not even a good argument. "Funimation dubbed raunchy and sexually deviant anime so they had a bad environment."

Last edited by Expias on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Saw an article on another site bad-mouthing ANN for not reporting on Huber's accusations yesterday. Should be amusing to see how they deal with this much more complete account of everything that's transpiring.

Also surprised that Vic was pulling in that much for 'con appearances alone. Even given that he is/was one of the top convention draws as a VA, I wouldn't have expected it to be that lucrative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
He honestly made the whole thing worse by trying to sue. With all the new stories of his behavior that came out from the case,with his disaster of a disposition. It more than insures he never gets another major job in this industry again. Probably could've savaged his career if he actually apologize for his behavior,instead of that bullshit statement he gave months ago,where he was going "recommit to God and seeking help from counselor"
Expias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
He honestly made the whole thing worse by trying to sue. With all the new stories of his behavior that came out from the case,with his disaster of a disposition. It more than insures he never gets another major job in this industry again. Probably could've savaged his career if he actually apologize for his behavior,instead of that bullshit statement he gave months ago,where he was going "recommit to God and seeking help from counselor"

Honestly it was a BS apology statement but I think people would have been "okay you're gonna own your poor behavior and work on yourself? I'll let you."

By then ramping it up, shopping around for a lawyer to take this, he'd become the newest Streisand Effect. I remember reading about the high school drama thing but nothing about the twins or the many times he'd cheated on his ex-fiancée.

And now, I don't think he wants to do any anime work at all with how they burned that bridge last weekend.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I had heard that the deadline was the 30th (Friday, a business day), not the 31st (Saturday). And anything after 5pm is considered the next day (or further, given a weekend + holiday).
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I think that Vic would just be better off dropping this whole lawsuit and permanently retiring from show business all together.

Too late for that. The defendants have racked up serious legal bills over this, and under the TCPA Vic will be on the hook for all of it, and maybe even additional sanctions, if he fails in his hearing on Friday. Withdrawing now won't get him out of that.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
A small correction- I believe (though given how the defendants have been responding together at times, I may be wrong) that the motion to strike the judge denied so far was only regarding Funimation. Don’t think we’ve seen things for the other defendants yet (though they did also respond yesterday, and the judge denied the one targeting Funi only 2 hours after their response).

That being said- I encourage people to dig into these filing. There’s an extremely validating amount of criticism of Beard and his actions (not to mention Vic’s) there; it turns out being incredibly unprofessional and smug even when the opposing lawyers have repeatedly tried to save you from yourself is a bad idea. Similarly, it’s quite interesting to see what the defendants are moving to strike in turn; there are things Beard tried to claim about Funimation’s affidavits - like that their staff that were involved with the investigation, and described their role at Funimation in their affidavits alongside that information, somehow were not equipped to talk about it - that are instead actually true about the affidavits from Huber and such, as this article gets into.

Frankly... I’m just still so confused that he did that, the illegal notary stuff. It’s inexplicable. If you were going to falsify it to begin with, you literally could have just picked any other day. Multiple different days. Days when someone was not at a convention 5 hours away. I don’t think he’d have gotten away with it still, probably, because claiming he was the notary to begin with may raise suspicions anyway given their distance from his office. But it would at least not set off alarm bells immediately?

That and the filing being a horrible mess as a whole have been a surprise even at this point, really. He’s been incompetent and horrible and encouraging harassment mobs, but the expectation was that even when Vic lost, he’d still get away with that GoFundMe money despite that. Now? Now there’s no way he gets out of this unscathed. Maybe we can even hope a certain “shock jock” doesn’t get away with it either.

Expias wrote:
August 31st to September 3rd was a wild, wild ride of filings so I'm not sure if they were all covered since the last three were just proposed orders for the Judge on the omnibus of objections, a response from Funimation to support TCPA motions to go forward despite Beard's supposed motion to dismiss them, and a hearing to strike the Defendants' "Late" filings.

I'm not sure what that last one by Beard is supposed to be referring to. None of them were late? Especially if they were supposed to respond to -his- late filings?

So I am not 100% if this what you’re asking about since there is quite a lot happening and this is a bit older, but I may actually know the answer?

Basically, Beard (erroneously, without precedent, despite lots of cases that disagree) thinks that the defendants should not have been allowed to file supplements to their TCPA filings past the TCPA deadline. He’s been (as usual) rather smug about this and seemingly believes the defendants will be sanctioned for it. To the point that when the defendants pointed out the recent illegal notarizing to him, he more or less responded with “do you really want to bring up sanctions when you’ve broken all these rules too?”, which was rather bold of him.
ECW28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:

Honestly it was a BS apology statement but I think people would have been "okay you're gonna own your poor behavior and work on yourself? I'll let you."

By then ramping it up, shopping around for a lawyer to take this, he'd become the newest Streisand Effect. I remember reading about the high school drama thing but nothing about the twins or the many times he'd cheated on his ex-fiancée.

And now, I don't think he wants to do any anime work at all with how they burned that bridge last weekend.

Sad. So does that mean his last role was Rohan? If that’s the case, at least his last role was extremely suited to him. He played that character so well, and I actually wanted to watch DiU on Toonami just because of Rohan.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
It's times like these where I wish I could understand all of this Law stuff
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is there a place you can see these court hearings, I've only ever seen commentary videos on them.

There's a google drive with the relevant court documents: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/15oy4VANDr2UMN15dvlfqiM_1Qob3Jpc4

Also, thanks Lynzee with your ongoing coverage! There was an impressive amount of reading the past several days, and I appreciate your dedication getting through them and summarizing everything as best as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11